Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2022, 03:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 569
Semiís and jakes

Why do some drivers leave their jakes on all the time? I know it sounds cool but do you really need them in a parking lot. I’ve even heard them when they are starting out from a dead stop and going uphill like a freeway ramp. Seems counterproductive to let your engine slow you down going uphill when you are trying to gain speed.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ & Plover, WI
Posts: 5,248
The Jake does not engage unless you do so by touching the brake peddle. As soon as you touch the accelerator, it disengages. So how have you heard a Jake when someone is gaining speed up a ramp?? It also disengages at 2nd gear or below, so I'm wondering how you hear it in a parking lot?
__________________
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
2013 Avalanche
2000 AEV TJ
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
RescueRamsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 244
There is no way someone's Jake is on trying to accelerate up hill. I'm not sure you are hearing what you think you are hearing....
__________________
2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial 38PKD
370 Cummins ISL
RescueRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Unplanned Tourist's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Posts: 5,948
You can shift gears much faster if you use the Jake to slow the engine down to shift into the next higher gear. Not for the amateur driver though! It takes years of driving to learn to shift like that. You are witnessing a dying breed of drivers when you see and hear someone drive like that. So many new trucks coming with automatic transmissions now.
__________________
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Benicia, CA
Posts: 342
My Ford F350 6.7L diesel exhaust brake is very quiet, but I generally only turn it on down grades and in heavy highway traffic.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The Jake does not engage unless you do so by touching the brake peddle. As soon as you touch the accelerator, it disengages. So how have you heard a Jake when someone is gaining speed up a ramp?? It also disengages at 2nd gear or below, so I'm wondering how you hear it in a parking lot?
Thatís not how my Volvo worked. You did not have to touch the brake pedal only take your foot off the accelerator. Push the accelerator and it goes off. It just keeps doing that and it would work even in 1st gear although most of the time I could start out in 2nd.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRamsey View Post
There is no way someone's Jake is on trying to accelerate up hill. I'm not sure you are hearing what you think you are hearing....
I know what a jake sounds like however you are correct it wasnít on during acceleration only when letting off to change gears.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
You can shift gears much faster if you use the Jake to slow the engine down to shift into the next higher gear. Not for the amateur driver though! It takes years of driving to learn to shift like that. You are witnessing a dying breed of drivers when you see and hear someone drive like that. So many new trucks coming with automatic transmissions now.
That makes sense. I’ll make note how fast they can go through the gears next time. That would even help going uphill. Read my post #6 and comment. Am I right or wrong?
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30,208
If your running heavy with a 10+ speed, stick shift truck, the Jake can drop the RPMs for faster upshifts.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:22 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If your running heavy with a 10+ speed, stick shift truck, the Jake can drop the RPMs for faster upshifts.
Thanks. When Unplanned posted I knew instantly what he meant. Nice to have it reconfirmed. I always tickled it into gear which is really slow.

Iím thinking it wouldnít be any faster downshifting but then again it wouldnít hurt and generally speaking thatís when you want the breaking effect.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:11 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cole Camp, Mo
Posts: 13
Are you talking a semi truck Jake not engaging until you hit the brake? I drove an ‘04 Pete in the oilfield and as long as the Jake switch is on, it kicked in the second I released the gas pedal, no brake pedal needed. 7” straight pipe sounded pretty good coming down the off ramp.

Now my ‘07 F-250 doesn’t engage until I have the tow tune loaded and I touch the brake pedal.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:25 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ & Plover, WI
Posts: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH001 View Post
Thatís not how my Volvo worked. You did not have to touch the brake pedal only take your foot off the accelerator. Push the accelerator and it goes off. It just keeps doing that and it would work even in 1st gear although most of the time I could start out in 2nd.
My coach was that way when we purchased it. Let off the fuel and it would engage. I had it reprogrammed to activate with the brake peddle. Tap the brake to engage and tap the accelerator to disengage. We had a semi and crane truck with 13 speed Rod Rangers. The clutch was only used to start out and to stop. When loaded, we used all of the gears. When unloaded, I could skip gears needing only 6 shifts. I don't recall the Jake engaging between shifts.
__________________
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
2013 Avalanche
2000 AEV TJ
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:41 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
My coach was that way when we purchased it. Let off the fuel and it would engage. I had it reprogrammed to activate with the brake peddle. Tap the brake to engage and tap the accelerator to disengage. We had a semi and crane truck with 13 speed Rod Rangers. The clutch was only used to start out and to stop. When loaded, we used all of the gears. When unloaded, I could skip gears needing only 6 shifts. I don't recall the Jake engaging between shifts.
I would tap my clutch slightly to take it out of gear and would float the RPM to the gears and not use the second clutch. I found it easy to upshift but downshifting was a tad harder. I would usually over rev a few RPMs and then tickle it into gear as the RPMs dropped to the exact match. I could hit every shift but I wasn’t the fastest shifter.

My jake would go on instantly and I didn’t like it because it didn’t give me enough time.
HenryH001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Unplanned Tourist's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Posts: 5,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH001 View Post
That makes sense. Iíll make note how fast they can go through the gears next time. That would even help going uphill. Read my post #6 and comment. Am I right or wrong?
You are correct.

The old 8V71 DD's were a real joy to drive, especially with a 5 and 4! Probably not many will know what that was, but let them guess.
__________________
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Body roll and semi passing 02tts Newmar Owner's Forum 13 07-10-2018 07:04 PM
Suitcase Solar and semi-permanent install bjsweeney Going Green 3 11-12-2015 06:20 AM
Semi-custom factory paint job and special options TheJazzMan Newmar Owner's Forum 5 10-11-2008 02:48 AM
semi-permanent structure nathanfox83 Vintage RV's 5 06-12-2007 05:52 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.