Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 08:32 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Service-What a Disaster

I made an appointment with a local RV dealer to have my 06 Fleetwood serviced.

I choose this dealership due to many positive reviews I found online.

This dealership is also near my home and I frequently see high end RVs in their service department so I thought I would give them a shot.

I dropped off my Fleetwood on Thursday of last week. I asked for the wheel bearings to be repacked, brakes inspected and a full generator service.

Monday I get a call. The service writer says the generator needs an oil change. I ask if an oil change is included in a full generator service like I asked for. She says well I was just going to make sure thats what you wanted.

Again I state that I want a full generator service, wheel bearings repacked and a brake inspection.

Service writer says ok, everything will be done tomorrow morning, we will call you.

Tuesday at 3pm I start calling the service department. No answer.

I drive down with the misses.

They tell me everything is done.

I was charged $314.

I say, this isnt correct. the wheel bearing/brake service is $350 and the generator service is $199.

They tell me that they did a basic generator service and engine oil change.

I paid the $314 got out of there with my MH and Im never going back.

So today I get a call at 4pm, the same person that took my $314 and handed me the keys is on the phone and tells me that my MH is ready to be picked up.

What a bunch of clowns.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 10:29 PM   #2

How do you know if anything was done at all?

They didn't do what you asked and who knows they did what they charged you for?

An engine oil change? You didn't ask for that, correct? Check to see if the filter appears to be new. Same with the generator ...is the filter new? You may have paid $314 but how do you even know they did what they told you?

I learned not to trust dealers of any kind when back in the 1970s I caught a car dealer charging me for an oil change that was never done. My dad always told me that if didn't change my own oil and had a shop do it to always score a mark on the filter so I'd have some way of identifying it later.

A few years later on another car, another dealership offered me a free oil change when performing some warranty work. They stripped the drain plug and it cost me a lot to have somebody else remedy the situation when it was discovered when i changed the oil myself on the next oil change months later. It ended up not being "free" after all.

Just a couple of suggestions and they're not criticisms: First, find a good local privately owned shop --usually smaller is better-- that has a good reputation to have work done on your RV.

And also, try to avoid using a generalization such as "full generator service." What does that exactly mean? Spell out exactly what it entails. A "full generator service" to you may be something different to the dealership.

Here are the "maintenance operations" prescribed by Onan:

General Inspection
Check Engine Oil Level
Clean and Check Starting Battery
Clean the Spark Arrestor
Change Engine Oil
Replace Engine Air Filter
Clean Engine Cooling Fins
Replace Spark Plug
Replace Gasoline Fuel Filter
Adjust Engine Valve Clearance

However, not all are not performed at the same time but at different intervals pertaining to hours used -- see attached periodic maintenance schedule.

So how do you know for sure that the dealership is accurately interpreting what you want done when you tell them "do a full generator service" ...?? Did you want them to do everything that is listed in the Onan schedule? --or selected items? --or what?

I'd usually take a printed copy of the maintenance schedule and give it to the service writer with red "x" 's marked on what items I wanted done and ask that the person performing the service put his/her initials after each items as a check list of what they're doing and would ask for it back when I paid the bill.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Periodic Maintenance - Onan gas 4000 series.pdf (274.7 KB, 19 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
I made an appointment with a local RV dealer to have my 06 Fleetwood serviced.

I choose this dealership due to many positive reviews I found online.

This dealership is also near my home and I frequently see high end RVs in their service department so I thought I would give them a shot.

I dropped off my Fleetwood on Thursday of last week. I asked for the wheel bearings to be repacked, brakes inspected and a full generator service.

Monday I get a call. The service writer says the generator needs an oil change. I ask if an oil change is included in a full generator service like I asked for. She says well I was just going to make sure thats what you wanted.

Again I state that I want a full generator service, wheel bearings repacked and a brake inspection.

Service writer says ok, everything will be done tomorrow morning, we will call you.

Tuesday at 3pm I start calling the service department. No answer.

I drive down with the misses.

They tell me everything is done.

I was charged $314.

I say, this isnt correct. the wheel bearing/brake service is $350 and the generator service is $199.

They tell me that they did a basic generator service and engine oil change.

I paid the $314 got out of there with my MH and Im never going back.

So today I get a call at 4pm, the same person that took my $314 and handed me the keys is on the phone and tells me that my MH is ready to be picked up.

What a bunch of clowns.

Get thee to the dealership and pickup your Winnings a free Motor Home!

Then go see the GM and tell em, hey this is what it is, thanks for the Motor Home , how much shall I declare on my taxes as the value of the winnings!
Old 05-06-2021, 04:55 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
This dealerships service department has a very comprehensive preventive maintenance menu.

This is what they call a full generator service.

Basic Generator service
Replace generator oil filter
Replace generator oil* *bulk oil, synthetic additional cost
Replace generator air filter
Replace spark plugs
Replace generator fuel filter
Inspect generator exhaust

I think the tech is lazy and didnt want to do the hard stuff, didnt want to pull 6 wheels off, so just did easy stuff.

Im going to chew on both the general and service manager a while this morning and go elsewhere. I dont trust these people. You only get one chance to make a first impression.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #5

Quote:
This dealerships service department has a very comprehensive preventive maintenance menu.

This is what they call a full generator service.

Basic Generator service
Replace generator oil filter
Replace generator oil* *bulk oil, synthetic additional cost
Replace generator air filter
Replace spark plugs
Replace generator fuel filter
Inspect generator exhaust

I think the tech is lazy and didnt want to do the hard stuff, didnt want to pull 6 wheels off, so just did easy stuff.

Im going to chew on both the general and service manager a while this morning and go elsewhere. I dont trust these people. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

So, just to be clear, you were charged $314, received only the generator service which was listed at $199, and did not get a bearing repack nor brake inspection, correct?

If so, what is on the invoice that justified the $314 for a $199 service? Is there any mention of any work done on the wheels/bearings on the invoice? Is there a way you can tell that work was done on the wheels/bearings?
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:27 PM   #6

bmcgc where did the "pull 6 wheels" enter the conversation???? Why pull 6 wheels???
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:34 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
There are a lot of people that dont know the difference between a screwdriver and a banana when it comes to preventive maintenance.

If you dont pull the wheels you cant inspect both sides of the rotor or both brake pads.

This coach is 15 years old, I have no idea how many previous owners it has had and I have zero maintenance history other than knowing that the brake recall was performed.

My family's lives are well worth the cost of a proper brake inspection.

I dont care if the service department thinks it is necessary or not. Im the customer, Im paying for the inspection and its what I want.

I have an appointment at another facility on Tuesday, they have no problem pulling the wheels, inspecting the brakes and bearings.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:43 AM   #8

Thats not a disaster. A disaster is when you drop off your rv for 3 minor warranty issues. They take 4 months to get approvals and fix. Then give you back the rv with completely dead house batteries and refuse to even charge them. Avoid Dynamax and Giant Recreation World
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:42 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
We have three RV dealers in close proximity. One of them is Camping World and I have not heard one person say they have had a positive experience at this particular location so as far as I am concerned we only have two, well now one based on my experience with the clowns that didnt do my brake and bearing inspection.

I stopped by the other location and the service manager tells me that the three RV dealers are only equipped to do simple maintenance and minor warranty repair. Any chassis repair/maintenance gets farmed out to a big truck center.

Now that I know this, I dont need any of them. Im not doing any chassis work but I am doing everything else, at least for the next few years or until my back gives out again.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #10

Quote:
What a bunch of clowns.
This sounds familiar. Like I've read it somewhere else before. This morning.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MY 2009 workhorse has oil lubricated wheel bearings. I thought all workhorse chassis did. Cant repack those.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:18 AM   #12

Out here in Washington State , we're fortunate to have Les Swab Tire Shop's .

They do FREE brake inspections . Even on MH's .

When we purchased our used MH , I scheduled an inspection . They checked tire pressures , shocks , front suspension and brakes .

Told me I had 60% left on brake pads , and that everything else checked out .

Gave me my keys , and only asked that when I need tires or brakes to come back .

There are still good shops out there , just sometimes we have to look hard to find them.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
Thats not a disaster. A disaster is when you drop off your rv for 3 minor warranty issues. They take 4 months to get approvals and fix. Then give you back the rv with completely dead house batteries and refuse to even charge them. Avoid Dynamax and Giant Recreation World
4 months!
You’re better off taking a week and go to Newmar.
Would be done in a day or two. Do some camping in Indiana and Michigan.

Very common, the idiots don’t have a clue. Camping World in Bath, NY- no longer a Camping World.
Did a number on my brand new RV in 2007.
1. Left the chassis and house batteries on to completely die.
2. Backed the Rv into a hill and bend my beautiful new chrome tail pipe.

I hate letting anyone touch or drive my motorhome.

Back in 1999 I watched a RV shop employee back my brand new 1999 Storm into a fence and pocked a hole in it. Then the darn RV dealer refused pay, I had to get a lawyer after them.
Yep, Jims RV in Nichols, NY
Never ever go there or buy anything from that bad person.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
4 months!
You’re better off taking a week and go to Newmar.
Would be done in a day or two. Do some camping in Indiana and Michigan.

Very common, the idiots don’t have a clue. Camping World in Bath, NY- no longer a Camping World.
Did a number on my brand new RV in 2007.
1. Left the chassis and house batteries on to completely die.
2. Backed the Rv into a hill and bend my beautiful new chrome tail pipe.

I hate letting anyone touch or drive my motorhome.

Back in 1999 I watched a RV shop employee back my brand new 1999 Storm into a fence and pocked a hole in it. Then the darn RV dealer refused pay, I had to get a lawyer after them.
Yep, Jims RV in Nichols, NY
Never ever go there or buy anything from that bad person.
It was a 2020 Dynamax Isata. My local Newmar dealer has a great service rep
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service