Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

Sewer connection

Does anyone have a sewer connection for their RV at home and if so do you know where to find out if there is any regulations surrounding one?
chrisgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #2

Check with you city or county permit department. They are the people that issue the permits (if required) and in my experience they are very helpful when you ask for info/advice. I am sure there will be some regulations, but probably pretty generic. You made need to install a p-trap and will probably be a requirement for the slope of the drain line running underground to the main sewer line or the septic system.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:30 AM   #3

Why not just use a macerator? That's what I do every time we visit our dtr.. That is if you can reach the clean out. But you'd have to be really far away. The clean out at my dtrs. is probably 75' or more away, but the macerator pumps fine at that distance. Just be sure to use the largest hose you can get. I believe mine is a 5/8" garden hose, but it was quite awhile ago that I bought it, so the memory is a little weak.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:42 AM   #4

A 'cleanout' is the same as your normal rv park sewer connection. Most every home home has one somewhere around the house(provided for plumber entry to cleanout potential blockages that may happen). This connection goes directly to your sewer or septic tank. It looks just like your rv park connection, but may be in a flower bed, etc...
When stayin the night in a parking lot, such as at a church, we often find a sewer connection on the property. It's a good option if you really need to empty your tanks.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #5

My clean out is inside my basement so there is no exterior access to run a sewer hose to so I would have to have something installed outside. I guarantee my wife is not going to want an open sewer connection in her theater room. Lol my bigger question is more around the legality of it. Is it legal to dump your RV tanks into public sewer.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #6

Same code that requires a cleanout in the basement generally also requires one just outside of the basement wall - for access from outside.

If you can figure out about where your sewer line exits the wall, you can often poke around the area just outside that with a long screwdriver (or equivalent) pushing it down into the dirt searching for something solid. If dirt too firm to allow that, wet it down. When the house was built, the outside cleanout should have been on grade (flush with surrounding area), so you shouldn't have too much trouble locating. Should be fairly close to the surface.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgoforth View Post
Lol my bigger question is more around the legality of it. Is it legal to dump your RV tanks into public sewer.
On your property it is probably legal to dump your rv tanks into a public sewer as long as there is no spillage. Its likely the same stuff that is dumped from your house.

Dumping your rv tanks at any random access to the public sewer may be illegal, but not because of the rv material you would be dumping.

If dumping a substance different than what is allowed to be dumped into a public sewer, then at minimum a permit is probably required.

If dumping commercially collected material, a permit would be required. Perhaps you would even need a screening device. (Finding a pipe bomb pumped from a portable toilet might be an example.) Cleaning such a screening device is not the most pleasant job.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It's perfectly ok to put your own personal wastes in your private home sewer, whether from your in-house bathroom or pumped from your RV. The one caveat on that might be in places where your sewer tax/service charges are based on the number of bathrooms, but that's more of a billing/payment question than a legal one.

However, if you ask to install another sewer outlet on the property, you run afoul of all sorts of regulations and zoning for sewer systems. And if you have a septic system, you may find you are exceeding the local plumbing codes, which sometimes relate the number of sewer inlets to tank size. For that reason, most RVers use a temporary connection to a sewer clean-out, as discussed earlier in this thread. Most local authorities are willing to ignore the occasional temporary use, but could not ignore it if you parked the rv and left the sewer line in place for daily use.

Using a macerator pump and a temporary (duration of the dump) connection avoids most legal issues. If you are lucky, you might have a clean-out close enough so that you don't even need the macerator to pump to it (gravity flow only).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the great information it is very much appreciated.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
MANY places allow you to dump now... some rest areas on the interstates are free , many pilot flying J's are like $10.... etc..

Here's some info

but we have an aerobic system that the little buggies have enough trouble with two peoples stuff per day, let alone 100 gallons at once