RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ship by rail

Anybody ever ship their coach by rail instead of driving it long distance?

ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #2

I have wanted to ship my motorcycle by rail and ride in a train car. Amtrak doesn't seem to have the capability except for one east coast run (N-S).

I have however put my rigs on ferries and barges, flying to meet them. No complications with that concept at all.

rodekyll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Anybody ever ship their coach by rail instead of driving it long distance?
sorry, but ....why?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:32 PM   #4

Dunno about rail but there are drive away companie$$$$.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Here ya go
https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship...n-rv-by-train/
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #6

A story went around a few years ago that a dealer tried that and the track was so rough that the units arrived with all the cabinets down in the floors.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
A story went around a few years ago that a dealer tried that and the track was so rough that the units arrived with all the cabinets down in the floors.
If that story were true, AMTRAK wouldn't have any riders.

Off-topic, the cheapest method of long distance transport is by water(with obvious limitations), number 2 is railroad, trucking is by far the most expensive surface transportation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Amtrak coaches ride on soft springs and air bags. Freight cars ride on springs that probably won't start compressing until the load gets to well over 150K #, so by the time you bind a coach to rail car, there is no give anywhere and every bump is transmitted directly to the coach and it's structure.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #9

Having had the opportunity to try to salvage a boxcar loaded with our products after the car got "humped" by the railroad, I would not even think about putting anything as fragile as an RV on a flatbed. I doubt the railroads would even accept it. BTW, I should have told the railroad to keep the car.

If you pay my airfare and reimburse for fuel, I will drive your rig whereever you want it. You just make a donation to the charity of my choice as compensation.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would worry about the RV getting "tagged" (spray graffiti) while setting on a siding.

Ken
Old 01-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #11

Can't think of a worse way to transport a motorhome. You don't know what condition it will be in, or what month it will be delivered. We got some farm equipment shipped from the factory by rail once, some years ago, and the standard answer, when we would ask the dealer was, "It's at the rail yard waiting to be unloaded". Took over a month to get unloaded.

Rail yards aren't usually in the best parts of town, and are extremely low on security. Ever set at a rail crossing and watched a freight train go by? You want your motor home to have the same paint job as the rail cars that go by? Car companies ship new cars by rail, inside steel caged and locked rail cars. They have experience at this and they want the new cars to arrive with the original paint jobs and all the parts that was put on at he factory.

Take your motorhome to the rail yard and leave it. Sooner or later a yard worker (with motorhome knowledge ?) will drive it around and get it on a rail car. Then it sets waiting for a train going in general direction of your destination. Then another rail yard or two, until it gets transported to your destination. Then it will set there until your rail car comes up on the list to be downloaded. Then some yard workers will drive it off the rail car, if it can be driven at this point, and put it in the delivery lot. Chances are very good all the doors will be wide open and contents has already been transported to pawn shops along the route.

I think you'll be sick seeing what gets delivered. But this is just my mind running wild.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #12

Could be an opportunity for someone to start a train/rv tour business. I think it would be fun to have the coach on a flatbed car and be able to sit in it.eat,sleep as you travel across country . I remember you could do that at Cooper Canyon until a few years ago. never tried it though
Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
...I remember you could do that at Cooper Canyon until a few years ago. never tried it though
Copper Canyon in northern Mexico. we always wanted to do that but never did. the canyon is still there (thank you Captain Obvious) but there's no way we would venture into Mexico these days.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
Copper Canyon in northern Mexico. we always wanted to do that but never did. the canyon is still there (thank you Captain Obvious) but there's no way we would venture into Mexico these days.

One thing that helped kill the "rail caravan" business was the increasing number of RVs built with slideouts - you could not extend the slides when you were on the train because of width restrictions.

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote