Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know if it's rudeness, self centeredness or they think they are Nascar drivers. It's a constant experience drivng in MI. I wish I could find a bumper sticker that say's " This ain't Nascar' get off my ---!
I also have decided to smell the roses and limit my travels to 300 or less miles a day.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #16

A's a MH owner this is my experience, while crossing the smokey mountains just about every time I'm in the sweet spot and some idiot pulls out in front of me thinking I don't want to get behind that. What they find out I'm not site seeing just trying to get were I'm going. If you have a MH push you up the mountain you can guarantee they will push you down the other side to save their brakes so be considerate and get out of the way.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems that the only thing the LEOs do is write speeding tickets. I can't remember the last time I saw an officer tag someone for tailgating, unsafe lane changes, aggressive driving, etc. Maybe we need an incentive to get them to watch for bad driving....like 10 tickets for other than speeding, they get a free dozen donuts.

Just watch out folks, we just came off of a new moon, so the nuts are still running loose.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #18

Why can't everyone drive like me? Is that what you are saying? I bet this is what the other driver was thinking.... I was driving out of big bend one day and this old retired guy with nothing better to do than than slow the rest of the world down to his pace was driving like he was trying to set a world record on gas mileage. Since my eyesight and reflexes are still good, I passed him when the opportunity came available and got out of his way.

If you let other drivers bother you enough to get in your head, you either need to get off the road, or lower your expectations.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #19

Bee950...right on the money!

I'd bet someone who has posted above has used a cell phone, or eaten or been drinking something, or been playing with the GPS or their laptop engine monitoring system when driving as well. While doing any of these things, I'd almost bet they weren't giving the road the full attention they should have been
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Bee950...right on the money!

I'd bet someone who has posted above has used a cell phone, or eaten or been drinking something, or been playing with the GPS or their laptop engine monitoring system when driving as well. While doing any of these things, I'd almost bet they weren't giving the road the full attention they should have been
As a retired professional driver you can bet that I have formed a few opinions about drivers and how they shoulda done it! One of my pet send off;s is "Be carefull out there, there are a lot of fools on the roads, DONT YOU BE ONE OF THEM!" Truth is we all have our moments, and we all make some dumb decisions. What we need to do is attempt to keep our own driving mistakes to a minimum and do our best to drive defensive to allow for their dumb moments. We can't drive for others!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
Why can't everyone drive like me? Is that what you are saying? I bet this is what the other driver was thinking.... I was driving out of big bend one day and this old retired guy with nothing better to do than than slow the rest of the world down to his pace was driving like he was trying to set a world record on gas mileage. Since my eyesight and reflexes are still good, I passed him when the opportunity came available and got out of his way.

If you let other drivers bother you enough to get in your head, you either need to get off the road, or lower your expectations.
I believe the OP was more about the general unsafe attitudes of some drivers. He was passed in a NO PASSING ZONE while traveling the speed limit. I'm not an 'old retired guy' and my eyesight and reflexes are excellent. That does not give me the privilege of not obeying the law, or behaving like a spoiled jackass when behind the wheel.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Seems that the only thing the LEOs do is write speeding tickets. I can't remember the last time I saw an officer tag someone for tailgating, unsafe lane changes, aggressive driving, etc. Maybe we need an incentive to get them to watch for bad driving....like 10 tickets for other than speeding, they get a free dozen donuts.

Just watch out folks, we just came off of a new moon, so the nuts are still running loose.

Ken
How do you know the officers are just writing speeding tickets? As a retired 31 year professional LEO, I find your comment uninformed, misguided and downright Insulting! Maybe I'm taking it a tad personally, but really!!!
That's it, I'm out of here and on my way to Dunkin Donuts!

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
How do you know the officers are just writing speeding tickets? As a retired 31 year professional LEO, I find your comment uninformed, misguided and downright Insulting! Maybe I'm taking it a tad personally, but really!!!
That's it, I'm out of here and on my way to Dunkin Donuts!

Bob
Numerous time, I have been sitting at an intersection with a LEO in the front position and have some clown blow through a red light right in front of the officer and he continues on his way and never bothers to get the red light runner.

Also been told by the local LEOs that they cannot patrol a certain area for chronic speeders that is at their shift change time and they can't look into it.

They have more excuses to not work than a dog has fleas. As usual, all it takes to make the whole lot look bad is a few bad ones. I know a number rof dedicated LEOs that will not out up with this behavior, but there are the others that expect it.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Yesterday I was coming back home from a weekend of "roughing it" at the lake and drove the whole way with the window down...it was a beautiful day...lotsa Sunday noon traffic with people darting out in front of me, cutting me off, cutting in front of me and standing on their brakes, etc, etc, etc...I will do everything I can to avoid an accident, but I too have come to the realization that I can only control my driving and can't let everyone else frustrate me...I'm rv'ing to reduce my BP, not raise it!

I too have come to the conclusion that I will only "swerve" so much...too much at stake and I'm not nearly as nimble and responsive as even that F350 dually that just cut me off...but I do weigh a lot more, have a lot more structure around me and have some bad a$$ insurance!
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Richard, It is very unfortunate that you had such a negative and dangerous experience with that idiot driver and it is good to vent at times. But, as has been alluded to by another poster, all it takes is one bad apple to spoil the basket.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe the post started with the driver driving the speed limit, don't recall them saying they were old. There is no excuse for dangerous driving. I drive the speed limit. If someone is unhappy with this, pass me when it's safe, don't ride my bumper. I'm not going to speed up to suit your driving habits.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stopped by the cops!

Last year we were on a bus trip from Ct to Md to see a ball game. I couldn't have been happier when the bus driver was stopped by a NJ State Trooper and given a ticket for "Following to closely" to the vehicle in front of us.

I had driven bus and t/t part time for quite a while so I was observing the driver's operation and was not happy with it. There are good drivers and bad drivers in all types of vehicle. Cops can't get em all and I don't make excuses for anyone!

I don't know everyone's occupation on this site so I don't plan to badmouth anyone because they have chosen a specific career path. Not that I am afraid to given any set of circumstances

Sgt. Retired Ct State Police (29 years active and 21 years retired)
4th degree Black Belt Korean Karate and prior competitor
Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
Ok...don`t take cheap shots at LEO`s....most tickets I`m giving these days are for talking and texting on cell phones. But at the heart of bad driving is speed, its the largest characteristic of a bad driver. By the way we like bagels not donuts.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome