Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I have driven all over the United States and have yet to see an RV exceeding the speed limit on the interstates, much less driving like a bat out of hell.

Could it be that some folks think that anyone who exceeds their own speed is wild and reckless ? Hummmm
You ain't been to West Texas lately then.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
You ain't been to West Texas lately then.
Yup, Just got back from a trip to Florida, I-10 both ways with speed limits up to 80. I drove at 70 and never had ayone pass me doing 80 except a few cars and a few Semi's. It really surprised me that so few people would crank it up to 80 . This held true from Arizona to Florida.

I will say that I didn't care for your weather around San Antonio. Hail, Tornados. That raised the pucker factor.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #87

Quote:
Yup, Just got back from a trip to Florida, I-10 both ways with speed limits up to 80. I drove at 70 and never had ayone pass me doing 80 except a few cars and a few Semi's. It really surprised me that so few people would crank it up to 80 . This held true from Arizona to Florida.

I will say that I didn't care for your weather around San Antonio. Hail, Tornados. That raised the pucker factor.
Chuck, until this years fuel fiasco I too did 70 where legal and I must say I've been passed by class A's and 5th wheels doing 80 or above on 95 South some folks are just in a reeaall hurry
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #88

National RV Owners Club
Just to be a bit adversarial it - Other than the real slow drivers it seems to me that most everyone is ignoring the fact the people don't drive the posted speed limit. I live off a rural state highway in Oregon. When I drive the posted speed limit of 55 mph I can barely get a mile down the road before I am backing up traffic. I don't think the posted speed limit is what the drivers of cars, motor homes, trucks, etc. want to do. They want to do 5 mph or more above the posted limit. So anyone driving the posted speed limit is impeding traffic, no? I tend to stay close to the speed limit and do pull off to allow backed up traffic to pass even if I've been exceeding the posted limit.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #89

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
I was on the opposite end of a similar story, pulling out of Key West in March at about MM35 a fellow pulling a 5th wheel pulled out in front of me and forgot to speed up, it's single lane 55mph road after I had to slow way down he slowly sped up to 45. Going through the 45 mph he did 35, through the 35mph he did 25. By this point the 2 cars between us had passed albeit unsafely. I start tapping the air horn hoping this guy gets the point, nope this went on till were stopped at a draw bridge for a sail boat. I told DW to sit tight I would be right back, got out walked up and asked the older gentleman if everything was OK, he said yes, I then directed his attention to the 2 miles of traffic behind him and asked if he would pull over the first chance and let traffic pass. Walked back to my rig and by now DW was having seizures worrying that I would strangle the old fellow. He pulled over the first opportunity and I waved as we went past, only with a single digit. Rest of the trip to Savannah was uneventful.
Wow... He did what you asked, and you flipped him off for the effort..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
+1

I don't care what speed the vehicle in front of me is doing. Just that they more or less pick a speed.
Agreed! Speed or dont, but please pick one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcirclem View Post
Here's a suggestion, Fire All The Cops!! And here's how you do it....

OBEY THE TRAFFIC LAWS!!!
Not just you, but why is it the most think cops have nothing to do all day other than write tickets? Are these the only crimes being committed?
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post

Agreed! Speed or dont, but please pick one..

Not just you, but why is it the most think cops have nothing to do all day other than write tickets? Are these the only crimes being committed?
That was after 20 miles of me blowing the air horn! He was clueless!
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Chuck, until this years fuel fiasco I too did 70 where legal and I must say I've been passed by class A's and 5th wheels doing 80 or above on 95 South some folks are just in a reeaall hurry
Well. I was going from warm weather to warm weather on the I-10.
Those poor souls on 95 were going from North to South trying to get out of the great frozen north before they froze up. Big differance.

I think we tend to be a bit more laid back out here and as far as the interstates go, the Easts to Wests tend to be less crowded than the North to Souths.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #92

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Quote:
I was on the opposite end of a similar story, pulling out of Key West in March at about MM35 a fellow pulling a 5th wheel pulled out in front of me and forgot to speed up, it's single lane 55mph road after I had to slow way down he slowly sped up to 45. Going through the 45 mph he did 35, through the 35mph he did 25. By this point the 2 cars between us had passed albeit unsafely. I start tapping the air horn hoping this guy gets the point, nope this went on till were stopped at a draw bridge for a sail boat. I told DW to sit tight I would be right back, got out walked up and asked the older gentleman if everything was OK, he said yes, I then directed his attention to the 2 miles of traffic behind him and asked if he would pull over the first chance and let traffic pass. Walked back to my rig and by now DW was having seizures worrying that I would strangle the old fellow. He pulled over the first opportunity and I waved as we went past, only with a single digit. Rest of the trip to Savannah was uneventful.
He shouldn't have had to ask the guy to pull over.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Just to be a bit adversarial it - Other than the real slow drivers it seems to me that most everyone is ignoring the fact the people don't drive the posted speed limit. I live off a rural state highway in Oregon. When I drive the posted speed limit of 55 mph I can barely get a mile down the road before I am backing up traffic. I don't think the posted speed limit is what the drivers of cars, motor homes, trucks, etc. want to do. They want to do 5 mph or more above the posted limit. So anyone driving the posted speed limit is impeding traffic, no? I tend to stay close to the speed limit and do pull off to allow backed up traffic to pass even if I've been exceeding the posted limit.
Safe Travels
Bob
IT's those @$^&>*&% California drivers !!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #94

Quote:
IT's those @$^&>*&% California drivers !!!!!!!!!!

Be careful Chuck, I got in big trouble from the mods for using symbols like that.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #95
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
I will say that I didn't care for your weather around San Antonio. Hail, Tornados. That raised the pucker factor.[/QUOTE]

Very unusual weather for SA. Don't let it scare you into not coming back.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Very unusual weather for SA. Don't let it scare you into not coming back.[/QUOTE]

We ate at Boudro's on the Riverwalk, really good, and stayed at Travelers Village, also a good place to stay. We will be back. We really enjoy San Antonio.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 PM   #97

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I do have a question. Just what is a sweet spot ?
I normally drive about 70 mph when legal, which is most of the Western States and at the posted limit if lower. I get 8+ mpg at 70 and 8 if I go slower.
If your GVWR is 10,000#'s or over then the speed limit in WA is the truck speed limit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #98

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know it was all three!!!
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome