Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Shoes Off Rule? Just Wonderin'

How many of you have a shoes off rule in your motorhome? If you do, do you have difficulties with visiting guests? (I'm referring to when conditions really warrant no shoes). You know, rainy, muddy, etc, you get the picture.

I had a problem with one person, (it was raining out) who just would not do it no matter how heavy the request or suggestion, and just tracked up the whole place. The person was just plain above it. Once I knew it was no good, rather than fight about it I just bit my tongue and we prepared to mop the coach up after. Complete with the little bitty pebbles from shoe treads that go so well with polished tile. That really upset my better half. What's really funny is, this person could see no one else had shoes on and still didn't get the hint.

Then another time, guests who came in automatically took their shoes off. But they were also RV owners, (unwritten courtesy).

Some say "by God my house is lived in, it's not here for show", all kind of attitude.

Look, I don't think I'm better than anyone else, you know, "I have a coach some guests don't, therefore"...(BS).....I am not one of those. I just request a simple courtesy and sometimes I'm made to feel I'm asking too much.

How do you handle it? Have you had a scenario as described above?
Or, am I all alone here, (with my shoes off) ?

Best Regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If raining, or it is really cold out, I put/carry large towels to lay down at the top of the steps and between the front seats. That is where the shoe's come off. If it is nice out, shoe's off outside. No shoe's in the Coach...........
Our carpet is 16 years old this year, still looks like new!
Old 05-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #3

I can certainly understand why someone would want guests to remove their shoes and I don't even need to be asked as I just do it out of courtesy. As for my trailer, it is 20 years old and well past time time to worry about it. I do however appreciate when someone does so.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #4

I tell them, "shoes off at the door" no matter what the weather, and if they don't want to comply, I have what carpet cleaning people wear when cleaning carpet and what they offer to the home owner when they finish their job. Have lost a couple of so called friends, but I don't miss them.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We treat our MH like our house. Shoes off if sandy, rainy or muddy, other wise do as you wish.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
WDW

So do you have driving shoes?

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
laj

my coach my rules, and that is no shoes period. better them mad then you. when i enter someones coach, first shoes come off then hat, i dont care what the weather. to me just seems like common respect and courtesy.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
How many of you have a shoes off rule in your motorhome? If you do, do you have difficulties with visiting guests? (I'm referring to when conditions really warrant no shoes). You know, rainy, muddy, etc, you get the picture.

I had a problem with one person, (it was raining out) who just would not do it no matter how heavy the request or suggestion, and just tracked up the whole place. The person was just plain above it. Once I knew it was no good, rather than fight about it I just bit my tongue and we prepared to mop the coach up after. Complete with the little bitty pebbles from shoe treads that go so well with polished tile. That really upset my better half. What's really funny is, this person could see no one else had shoes on and still didn't get the hint.

Then another time, guests who came in automatically took their shoes off. But they were also RV owners, (unwritten courtesy).

Some say "by God my house is lived in, it's not here for show", all kind of attitude.

Look, I don't think I'm better than anyone else, you know, "I have a coach some guests don't, therefore"...(BS).....I am not one of those. I just request a simple courtesy and sometimes I'm made to feel I'm asking too much.

How do you handle it? Have you had a scenario as described above?
Or, am I all alone here, (with my shoes off) ?

Best Regards,
W.D.
didja try a strait forward request...please remove your shoes? if he still refused your choice was to ask him to leave or deal with it as you did.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:21 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We just tell our guests that it is a shoe free zone. Have not had an issue.

Shoes off at the door. I have a pair of UGG sheepskin slippers to drive in.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
My only problem with 'shoes off at the door' is that I'm nearly always barefoot.
Seriously, I greatly dislike shoes and I don't wear them if I don't have too. I keep a towel by the door so I can clean my feet before I go in to my own coach.
When I go specifically to see someone else I'll put on sandals because it just seems wrong/rude to go somewhere barefoot. But of course I'm more than happy to comply with a shoes off rule.
I'm just out wandering about a park I may or may not have footwear on. If someone invites me in I'll point out that my feet are probably dirty. At that point I'll follow their lead. It may be 'some other time then', or 'who cares' or 'here's a paper towel'.
I dislike crud tracked into my coach (or home) so I certainly understand anyone who feels the same way.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a pair of slippers under the drivers seat. Sometimes I remember to put them on and sometimes I don't. Wife keeps her slippers under the dining table so changes them there.
Guests can do as they like!
Some friends are from HI, it's customary there to take your shoes off, so in their rig we do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I'm sorry but I have only had one person mention "shoes off" and therefore I did not go in their coach. I cannot easily remove my shoes and put them back on. I am disabled and need to be wearing my shoes with the special inserts. They are lace up shoes and because my feet are wrapped with first aid tape I have to use a shoe horn to get shoes on my feet. Once I got the shoes off, I would not be able to put them back on if I were standing outside an RV.
Love me......love my shoes.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
I'm sorry but I have only had one person mention "shoes off" and therefore I did not go in their coach. I cannot easily remove my shoes and put them back on. I am disabled and need to be wearing my shoes with the special inserts. They are lace up shoes and because my feet are wrapped with first aid tape I have to use a shoe horn to get shoes on my feet. Once I got the shoes off, I would not be able to put them back on if I were standing outside an RV.
Love me......love my shoes.
Around our house we certainly understand 'reasonable accommodation'.
You'd just have to follow the barefoot rule - 'Here's a towel'
Old 05-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
I tell them, "shoes off at the door" no matter what the weather, and if they don't want to comply, I have what carpet cleaning people wear when cleaning carpet and what they offer to the home owner when they finish their job. Have lost a couple of so called friends, but I don't miss them.
That's a great idea, think I'll adopt that right away. I'm assuming you're speaking of the paper booties if I'm not misunderstanding you. Thank you
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote