RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #1

Shore Power 24/7

I keep my ACE connected to shore power almost all the time, even when covered and parked at home. Does keeping connected cause long term harm?
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #2

My van has a big lithium battery, and the manufacturer recommends dropping the charge to around 50% for storage. If I need power in the van while in storage configuration, like during the winter for the battery heating blanket, I use a flat 15A extension cord through the back door rubber seal. I also run a battery maintainer for the chassis battery, which I can plug/unplug right at the driver door so I don't have to get in with snowy or muddy boots to plug/unplug it.

That would be the only reason I can think of for not having the 30A cord powering the system while in storage. Lead-acid batteries need to be stored charged, of course, so the lithium chemistry is a special case.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by terntes View Post
I keep my ACE connected to shore power almost all the time, even when covered and parked at home. Does keeping connected cause long term harm?
For the last 20 years, my two different coaches have been connected all the time at home without any problems. BUT, you need to check out your inverter to be sure you have one that will charge float charge the batteries to keep them up. You also need to make sure the water level is kept up inside the batteries.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Connected all the time check water lever in battery(s), exercise the engine and the generator every month,
Old 10-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you have wet-cell batteries then you need to check the water levels regularly. You may or may not have a problem, depending on the charging circuit. Be sure to use distilled water only to top them off!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #6

Power converter needs to be a multistage unit such as a Progressive Dynamics that has bulk, top off, float, and desulfate modes and intelligent switching between them. This will not boil your batteries. Do not depend on a WFCO multistage to switch modes, they are notorious for not doing so.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:39 AM   #7

Quote:
I've read on here that some use their rig as a "mancave" kinda thing so keep it plugged in to keep the frig cold etc,,. Myself, I don't see the point keeping our motorhome plugged in 24/7. Besides using electricity for no reason, there's wear and tear on the charger and more maintenance needed to keep the batteries going.

After years of trial and error, I finally found what works great at keeping my batteries alive and well. I installed a timer that powers up the rig once a week for a 12 hours stint. The coach batteries get topped off by the onboard converter/charger and the chassis battery gets topped off with a stand alone automatic charger. Going on 9 years with the chassis and 6 years with the coach batteries now.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
I have a Progressive Dynamics PD9270 70-amp four-stage converter in ours. The motorhome is plugged in 24x7.

I removed the house batteries yesterday and checked their water. I had to add some water to one cell only and its plates were not exposed. The motorhome was plugged in for seven months.

A year ago I checked the water and had to add water to one cell only. I checked them halfway through our winter trip and had to add no water. When we got back at the end of March I also had to add water to one cell only.

Our house batteries are rarely used, just between transitions from shore power to the generator and of course, for generator starting. Both batteries are almost two years old and both of their terminal voltages yesterday was 12.65 volts after being disconnected for an hour.

So as others have mentioned, a good quality converter makes all the difference.

Ray
Old 10-25-2020, 06:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I've pretty much left mine plugged in while parked just to charge the batteries. Both house and chassis batteries are charged. I do check the water level in the batteries but usually don't have to add too much while parked.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power