Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2017, 11:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Ac and heaters usually require too much power to run from batteries via an inverter.
You can use your generator to operate your ac and electric heaters.
I use my propane furnace for heat when boondocking. My furnace blower and control circuit board operate on 12v dc nominal.
My norcold fridge operates on propane when boondocking. It also requires 12v dc nominal for the control circuit board when operating on propane or 110v nominal.
The converter supplies 12v dc nominal from 110v ac nominal.
The inverter does the opposite.

Check:

Welcome to Mark's Fulltime RV Resource

The 12v side of life.
I am currently generator-less. The one I bought for a storm this past May was stolen off my porch two weeks ago. It would have fit in the compartment meant for it but it would have been a hassle to check level,refill fuel, etc due to there being only about an inch clearance.
What is the best choice for a more compact option. I was looking thru Harbor Freights catalog the other day but dummy me is confused as to how I would have things plugged into it with it in the bay. Is that where my pictured converter comes into play? Should I not buy the 4-6 marine batteries I saw for a good price today?
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
I am currently generator-less. The one I bought for a storm this past May was stolen off my porch two weeks ago. It would have fit in the compartment meant for it but it would have been a hassle to check level,refill fuel, etc due to there being only about an inch clearance.
What is the best choice for a more compact option. I was looking thru Harbor Freights catalog the other day but dummy me is confused as to how I would have things plugged into it with it in the bay. Is that where my pictured converter comes into play? Should I not buy the 4-6 marine batteries I saw for a good price today?
Sorry that some scumbag stole your genset. If it was me, i'd forget trying to use a cheapy genset and replace with a unit designed to fit in the existing generator space. The right genset would tie into your chassis' fuel system, tie into the existing wiring, and run the motorhome without too much worry of overloading.

The refrigerator will run on propane for a few days with good charged batteries. It itself doesn't draw that much wattage. Using lights or other 12 volt appliances brings down the batteries quicker so you would have monitor voltage more often to make sure it didn't drop below 12 volts.

If you have an inverter, you can run small appliances for short times. An inverter is not that efficient so battery voltage will come down pretty fast when it's used. Trying to run an air conditioner, electric heater, or microwave oven on an inverter probably won't work out well as the batteries won't last long.

The genset puts out 120 volts, the same that comes in through the shore power cord when plugged into an AC outlet. With either, the 120 AC volts goes to your converter/battery charger which then converts it to 12 volts DC. This supplies power to the 12 volt system and charging to the coach batteries. Good batteries are a must so take advantage of the good deal if you need them.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Sorry that some scumbag stole your genset. If it was me, i'd forget trying to use a cheapy genset and replace with a unit designed to fit in the existing generator space. The right genset would tie into your chassis' fuel system, tie into the existing wiring, and run the motorhome without too much worry of overloading.

The refrigerator will run on propane for a few days with good charged batteries. It itself doesn't draw that much wattage. Using lights or other 12 volt appliances brings down the batteries quicker so you would have monitor voltage more often to make sure it didn't drop below 12 volts.

If you have an inverter, you can run small appliances for short times. An inverter is not that efficient so battery voltage will come down pretty fast when it's used. Trying to run an air conditioner, electric heater, or microwave oven on an inverter probably won't work out well as the batteries won't last long.

The genset puts out 120 volts, the same that comes in through the shore power cord when plugged into an AC outlet. With either, the 120 AC volts goes to your converter/battery charger which then converts it to 12 volts DC. This supplies power to the 12 volt system and charging to the coach batteries. Good batteries are a must so take advantage of the good deal if you need them.

I don't want to use propane at all. 98% of our cooking has been reduced to microwave these days, showers (with hot water) can be free with fill up, probably going paper plate style to reduce dishwashing, etc.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #18

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfc View Post
Just bought a 1983 holiday rambler but it didn't have house batteries, is it necessary to have the batteries installed in order to use shore power? This is my very first RV so I'm very new to RVing.
Thanks for any help provided
In order for you to get the full usage from the features of your coach and to protect the transfer & inverter components (switches) I would say yes,
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Ac and heaters usually require too much power to run from batteries via an inverter.
You can use your generator to operate your ac and electric heaters.
I use my propane furnace for heat when boondocking. My furnace blower and control circuit board operate on 12v dc nominal.
My norcold fridge operates on propane when boondocking. It also requires 12v dc nominal for the control circuit board when operating on propane or 110v nominal.
The converter supplies 12v dc nominal from 110v ac nominal.
The inverter does the opposite.

Check:

Welcome to Mark's Fulltime RV Resource

The 12v side of life.

Do you have a "best" generator recommendation?
Another poster showed me these:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Champion-...=sem#read-more

but 2000 watts doesn't sound like enough either.
It's not like all these items will all be running at the same time. Save for the fridge that is.

Tags
power, shore power