Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #1

Shore power?

Hi guys, you were really helpful with my last question regarding my parents RV having possible engine problems. As I stated in my other thread, turned out it was just a bad chassis battery. Yes, I am embarrassed to admit that was the case. However I’m also happy that was something as simple as that. I’d like to bother you with hopefully just a few more questions if I may. Unfortunately, I have currently misplaced the vehicle user manual that would probably have these answers.

I am currently plugged into my house. Am I supposed to leave the auxiliary battery switch in the on or off position? Also, is the inverter switch supposed to be in the on or off position? Do either of these switches have anything to do with being plugged in? Does this charge the coach batteries?

Thank,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D4412EB9-E416-48DA-A648-B791ACBC0D25.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	742.6 KB
ID:	324289   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3C50F0D-D8FB-42E2-8276-0376C6788B05.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	324290  

DutchC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #2

If you're going to need DC power inside the coach, say if you want to pack or unpack or do other stuff after dark, leave it enabled for lighting. If it's a fairly new coach, it will charge the coach batteries, but not the chassis battery. I say if it's a newer coach, because it should probably have a smart enough converter/charger, such that it won't harm the batteries. Particularly if they're AGMs or lithium. Same for the inverter, shouldn't harm anything to leave it on or off, unless it's an inverter/charger, then it changes my prior answers. Leave it all on.
You will get a variety of answers on this, so be ready.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #3

If shore powers the battery charger, and that's not clear because some inverters are combination inverter/converter (charger), others are just inverters, then leave the Aux. battery switch ON so the house batteries charge. If unplugged or not on generator power, turn that switch OFF unless, as mentioned, you need DC power inside the RV.

My advice for the inverter is to turn it OFF if not using it to produce AC power for your RV. The inverter draws power even if not inverting if you leave it ON without shore power connected. Connected to shore, you don't need it unless it is also a charger. Disconnected, you only need it for limited use of AC power. In storage, turn it OFF.

From you picture, your inverter does not appear to also be a charger because there is no LED to indicate charging or in charge mode. You may have a separate charger, however, and that will need to have the switch ON for it to charge the batteries, in most cases.

If you can find the inverter and post the brand/model, we can look up the manual and clarify its functions.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Leave the Aux Battery switch on except when storing the coach for more than a few days of non-use. There is no reason to turn it off otherwise.

The Dimensions inverter/charger switch can be left either on or off - it has no meaningful effect when shore power is present. While shore power is active, the inverter is automatically off and the charger is on. Only is shore power is lost or disconnected doe the switch control whether the inverter can provide 120v power or not.

Get a Dimensions Inverter manual for your model of inverter at https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/do...owners-manuals
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power