Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post

Big question? how much money do u want to spend? 30-35 is pretty SMALL to full time in.Most all 2008 and up Diesels are 40+ long.So gas is your most logical choice because 90% of 30ft area MH are gas.
We fulltime in a 33 ft diesel. A FRed. No troubles cuz what aint got we dont need. We decided to sell everything including mementos the kids did not want. We travel light, fast, and get good mpg.

But each to their own choices.
When we slow down it will be a long DP.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #30

We use to have a Winnebago Sightseer with the 8.1 GM gas motor and had very little problems in the 68K miles we owned it . Great motor and cheap to maintain. We had to sell it because we started towing a larger enclosed trailer for our business and bought a 03 Safari Sahara DP with the 8.3 Cummins 350 HP. Biggest mistake I've made in my life. Over $40K in repairs in the 80K miles we have put on it. This does not include maintenance. This MH has created a tremendous amount of stress in my life. The interesting thing is I talked to many who are in my business who use their MH for the such. Before I bought this DP everyone said how great they are, after owning this thing and telling them the problems I had been having they then started telling me all of the problems their having. It seems misery loves company.
This DP is essentially now traded in. It actually doesn't happen until our toy hauler is built and delivered which I hope happens in the next few weeks. I can't get rid of this thing fast enough.
So here's my advice to you; whatever you buy make sure you get an extended warranty, it saved me a ton of money.
I know many people who own the 8.1 GM and the V-10 Ford gas motors. Some of these people have in excess of 150K miles and one fellow with the Ford has over 220K miles. All of these have for the most part been trouble free low maintenance miles. They get about 7 MPG at $3.57 a gallon. I get 9.5 MPG at $4.22. You do the math. Changing oil in my DP 5 1/2 gallons and a almost $50.00 oil filter. 8.1 GM 7 1/2 quarts and a $5.00 filter. Air Filter DP $175.00, 8.1 $15.00. It goes on and on like that and as I mentioned repairs that aren't maintenance are extreme.
Since you have already been camping and are thinking full time, have you ever notice why so many full timers are using a fifth wheel? You really should give that some serious thought.
Before we were going to buy this DP another person I know who use to be a diesel mechanic and worked on many DP's warned me not to do it. I should have listened. Personally I may never own a MH again, I'm going with the toy hauler. Good luck in your decision and happy trails.
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas