Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2022, 06:49 PM   #1

Should I have someone fabricate this broken door handle?

I have a 2019 Entegra Esteem - not that it matters, I think this part is pretty universal so I posted it in this thread.

The interior handle on the house door has broken on the bottom corner.

The entire door lock assembly is $104 - $180 depending on where I buy it.

I'm concerned that it won't fix exactly right - when we go this coach the door didn't close easily. It has finally settled down to where it closes nice.

I'm thinking about finding a shop (metal fabrication) that can make me a new handle to replace only the broken part. It is just a flat piece of metal with two attachment points on two corners. The edge has a curved piece that moved a part in the door to pull the door post in so you can open the door.

What would you do? Try to get a new handle made or just buy a new lock?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4535.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	381818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4536.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	381819  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4537.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	381820  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2022, 07:11 PM   #2

I would buy a new latch. I could fabricate the handle myself and have done so in the past, I would rather have a new latch. Everything wears.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:37 PM   #3

Probably cheaper to buy a new latch. The amount of work it will take to make a handle that looks good and works properly is going to cost a couple hours labor, and I'm guessing machinists are probably getting $100 plus an hour. My estimate would be around 2 plus hours to make the handle, install it, and refine the fit and operation. Then the rest of the light metal parts have to survive disassembly and assembly a couple times. You could end up with a door latch worth its weight in Platinum.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:59 PM   #4

If it were mine, I would touch up the bottom edge with some black paint and leave well enough alone. It doesn't look bad at all.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
If it were mine, I would touch up the bottom edge with some black paint and leave well enough alone. It doesn't look bad at all.

LOL - if it were cosmetic I would do that. The corner that broke off was the bottom "hinge" so when you grab the handle it torques the remaining top hinge and tries to bend off the door... much like if you had a door in your house and you removed the bottom hinge and only had a top one.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
Probably cheaper to buy a new latch. The amount of work it will take to make a handle that looks good and works properly is going to cost a couple hours labor, and I'm guessing machinists are probably getting $100 plus an hour. My estimate would be around 2 plus hours to make the handle, install it, and refine the fit and operation. Then the rest of the light metal parts have to survive disassembly and assembly a couple times. You could end up with a door latch worth its weight in Platinum.

thanks - that is the kind of input I was expecting. I will order a new lock and just replace the whole thing. Right now I'm contacting MHSRV to confirm that the part they are selling for $140 is the part that goes on my rig. If it is... then I can get that same part on Amazon for $104 with free shipping.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:56 AM   #7

What is the handle made out of ? Can the old hinge piece be welded back on ? Is JB Weld a possibility... at least as a temp fix ?
Old 12-01-2022, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
What is the handle made out of ? Can the old hinge piece be welded back on ? Is JB Weld a possibility... at least as a temp fix ?

The handle looks like it is made of cast aluminum? looks like a sponge inside... The tiny piece that was there is MIA. I thought about possibly designing something entirely different using a metal tube, bolts, etc but I think in the end I would waste 4 hours / it would look like crap / it would break in a month. So, just going to bite the bullet and get a new lock.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:19 AM   #9

Parts like this are commonly cast of a Zinc alloy; commonly called "Pot metal" and I don't think it can be welded.

"Due to its low cost and availability, pot metal is still used to manufacture automotive parts, toys, tools, furniture fittings, electronics, and costume jewelry".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:42 AM   #10

I would buy a complete latch assembly, but if you are concerned with the alignment of the latch, I would see if I could replace just the handle and leave the rest of the parts intact.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Buy new, cost to fabricate will be well over 180 cost.

It looks like its pot metal.

It looks like just a corner that is broken off? You can super glue it back on. Also it does not look that bad, can you file the edges and use touch-up paint?
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Buy new, cost to fabricate will be well over 180 cost.

It looks like its pot metal.

It looks like just a corner that is broken off? You can super glue it back on. Also it does not look that bad, can you file the edges and use touch-up paint?
What is hard to tell from the photo, is that the part that broke off includes one of the actual hinge pieces. Might have been good if OP had posted the broken piece itself, if he has it.

My first thought was to file it down and then paint, but I went back to the picture, and on second glance, caught that the part that broke off was more than "just a corner."

The "potted" metal is trash, cannot weld it, I think if you really wanted to attach something, a brazing process would be required. However, it would have very little structural strength, and getting it to align properly to put the pin in would be a nightmare.

Curious, how are the hinge pins made? Are they a threaded pin, almost looks like a rivet on the top piece that remains intact.

I have had a couple of times where I thought I would fabricate a replacement part. I can assure you, at machinist rates, the part would far exceed the costs of just buying the high volume replacement from China. When I had access to mills, lathes, and raw metal, I could write off my labor. Now days, I can't quite talk my wife into letting me put that Bridgeport in the garage.
Old 12-01-2022, 09:16 AM   #13

I have a machine shop at home and I would just buy the part. It's not worth the time to make something like this. It sounds like your concern is that if you buy a complete new mechanism it will mess up the alignment and make the door hard to open and close. I'd bet the alignment on the striker plate side is what matters for closing easily so it's probably just a matter of loosening the two screws on the striker until they have just a bit of friction then open/close the door a few times to have it self-align then tighten the screws.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #14
US1

I am a 40 yr tool and die maker and would not touch that for less than $200 labor as a gov't job. But for myself, in a heart beat.

But what every one is overlooking. Yes you can buy it cheaper. But if it were made at a machine shop out of a solid AL block, it'd cost more, but would never break again. If this is a rare situation and you dont expect it to fail agin, buy new. If its a common problem, Id pony up for the machine shop made part. Its really a simple job and wont take more than an Hr to make, then add powdercaoting.
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, door