Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Shrinking window trim

I have a couple windows where the rubber exterior trim is shrinking. The windows don't leak but I'd like to find out if this is fixable or do I have to replace the entire piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210911_215612094.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	342773  
wmcrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2021, 10:22 PM   #2

This is a very, very common issue. In all reality, there's not a lot you can do with your present trim. You need to take a good measurement and simply purchase enough new trim, to do ALL your windows. And, if and when you decide to do this, do take note of the actual dimensions of the trim. There are different sizes. Been there, done that.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same problem, though not to that extent!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:00 PM   #4

Where do you buy the trim?
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:12 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This was brought up once before. You can always cut the trim in the middle, push/glue it back in place and then fill the gap between the two with black silicone.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
This was brought up once before. Yo can always cut the trim in the middle, push/glue it back in place and then fill the gap between the two with black silicone.
===========================================
That is exactly what I did.Nice and neat.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
This was brought up once before. You can always cut the trim in the middle, push/glue it back in place and then fill the gap between the two with black silicone.
Thanks for the tip Don!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:03 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like the trim screw cover vinyl, It is flexible new, stiffer/ very stiff when old, but often someone applied glue/ sealant... then when it shrinks/ swells, it cannot slide in track, so it pulls loose in corners? If you pull loose, clean track and rubber and reinstall, you may stretch and suddenly find it too long :-) push back, and insert, do NOT cut off :-) Hair dryer heat may help w/ flexibility?
Old 09-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice and neat until TEMP changes and it swells, or shrinks
Old 09-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #10

I used this method to close up gaps on 20-year-old window seals. The average gap was about 3 inches or less.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
If you're looking to purchase, then https://www.pellandent.com/ has what you need.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:12 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcrinc View Post
I have a couple windows where the rubber exterior trim is shrinking. The windows don't leak but I'd like to find out if this is fixable or do I have to replace the entire piece.
They way yours is pulling out you cannot just squirt sealer in like the video shows on seals that just pull away from the corners.

To remove them without breaking get a heat gun and warm them. Not too hot. Maybe 125 degrees at top and pull them out. If you try to pull them out cold they will break and then yes, you will need to replace the entire piece.

Once you have them out, put them in a pail of very hot water for 15-20 minutes. 180 degrees is best, but if you don't have a bucket water heater, get the hottest water you can get.

Use a tongs to get them out of the hot water and immediately start pushing them back in. Oh, I forgot to mention, make sure you keep track of the ends so you put them back in exactly the same position they came out because after they cool they will have a memory. IE:if you don't get the curved part back in the same position they will ten to pull away.

They will be very stretchy so as you put them back in place push hard to compress them into the opening. Done correctly, when you get to the last 6 inches or so, you should have only between 1/4 to 1/2 inch of "extra". Push that in tight and let the end expand a into the slot. DO NOT CUT ANY EXCESS OFF. If you have a lot hanging out you did not push it in hard enough and will have to start over. If you pushed to hard and are short, you should gently pull on it until you get 1/2 to one inch "extra" that you can push into the slot. Yes, it takes some practice to get the touch just right.

Yes. This is a temporary fix that will probably only a couple years and then you will either have to do it again or get new rubber. Did millions of these on old cars, buses and motorhomes when all of them were still set in rubber.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window