RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #1

Sick of it

Yesterday I barely avoided getting my wife and I killed. Our brakes quit as I was trying to make a u-turn in a auto repair facility. Thankfully I was able to stop and put blocks under the wheels, but what a wake up call. We had just been through heavy traffic in Fort Worth. Now my Onan 5500 generator is surging and putting out voltage 113 to 124 volts and after shutting it down refuses to restart. Dang it, what is next.

homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #2

Brakes quit? I'll stab a guess that the power steering belt broke making the U turn which then lost the power brake booster. The electric motor backup should kick in when that happens. Ultimately you should still have non boosted brakes but that would require a real stompin to slow down the rig.

Generator - I am sure not related to the other two issues.

Might be a good time to go front to back and do maintenance / inspection.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbw View Post
Yesterday I barely avoided getting my wife and I killed. Our brakes quit as I was trying to make a u-turn in a auto repair facility. Thankfully I was able to stop and put blocks under the wheels, but what a wake up call. We had just been through heavy traffic in Fort Worth. Now my Onan 5500 generator is surging and putting out voltage 113 to 124 volts and after shutting it down refuses to restart. Dang it, what is next.
just how fast were you making the U-Turn?
Old 05-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #4

Ever watch the foot cams of a race car driver? He knows when he will need the brakes so he will pump the pedal just before so he knows he will have a good solid pedal. Doesn't wait until the last second.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:30 AM   #5

The problem was the loss of all brake fluid. There are several lines leading out of the master cylinder which are heat taped to protect them from the exhaust. The heat tape held in moisture and contaminants corroding through two lines enough they spewed out the brake fluid. Rapid brake loss happened within seconds.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:
The problem was the loss of all brake fluid. There are several lines leading out of the master cylinder which are heat taped to protect them from the exhaust. The heat tape held in moisture and contaminants corroding through two lines enough they spewed out the brake fluid. Rapid brake loss happened within seconds.
Both front and rear brakes at the same time?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #7

Wow. Thanks for posting. At least you were able to get stopped. Apparently you were victim to the "law of unintended consequences" where a modification to protect the brake lines from excess heat caused another problem. I have read of people adding a separate heat shield near the exhaust manifold and intend to do something like that.

Quote:
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Wow. Thanks for posting. At least you were able to get stopped. Apparently you were victim to the "law of unintended consequences" where a modification to protect the brake lines from excess heat caused another problem. I have read of people adding a separate heat shield near the exhaust manifold and intend to do something like that.

Actually, according to the mechanic, the tape was factory installed.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:07 AM   #9

Every brake,PS or fuel I have repaired in the last 20 years have been at a rubber or plastic support holding water and rust.
On my truck I replace brake lines with copper nickel . In many countries these lines have to be rust proof so the same car sold there as in US will never have rusted lines.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:31 AM   #10

…."if not for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all".....as bad as it was, you were lucky to maintain control and prevent a disaster--so all is well that ends well!!!!! Parking brake or down shifting might have helped but in the heat of the moment, few of us have the situational awareness or time to react--I know this from personal experience....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Actually, according to the mechanic, the tape was factory installed.

Sounds like it worked good for the last 20 years! A vehicle that old should have all the brake lines inspected as part of a yearly maintenance program.
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:24 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 113-124v is engine surging caused by fuel level falling low in the float bowl, and w/ No Restart, suspeicion is INTERMITTENT/ FAILING FUEL PUMP. Typically, engine will restart after 15-30-minutes, but will die again and not restart after anywhere from 5-min to 45-minutes. Fuel FILTER is another possibility, but likely is clear and free-flowing. LUCK... new pump in $25-$30 range on internet, or $75-100 at Dealer? Typically easy, but slow job due to cramped area= 30-90-minute job if you have all tools.