Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #1

Sky Light Dome in Shower

I need some of your information as what to do. I have a 2013 HR 43 DFT and the skylight dome in the bathroom is cracked. I have 2 cracks about 2" long that I hadn't noticed before. We have had the unit for 20 months and never noticed any water driping from the edge of the trim inside the shower. This past week we were camping and one night we had a severe storm come thru and it dumped about 5" of rain where we were at. I had already taken my shower but the next night when I got in the shower I felt water driping from the trim around the light against the outside wall. I took the inside liner down and found these two cracks. They have been there awhile as there was some dirt in the lip of the trim that was all dried up. My question would be would I just patch the crack with some of that grey seam sealing tape or some of that spray seal, or go thru the trouble and expense of having it replaced. Our insurance probably wouldn't cover it as we have $$$$ deductable. What would you guys do in my shoes? Any information would be appreciated.
Harry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I need some of your information as what to do. I have a 2013 HR 43 DFT and the skylight dome in the bathroom is cracked. I have 2 cracks about 2" long that I hadn't noticed before. We have had the unit for 20 months and never noticed any water driping from the edge of the trim inside the shower. This past week we were camping and one night we had a severe storm come thru and it dumped about 5" of rain where we were at. I had already taken my shower but the next night when I got in the shower I felt water driping from the trim around the light against the outside wall. I took the inside liner down and found these two cracks. They have been there awhile as there was some dirt in the lip of the trim that was all dried up. My question would be would I just patch the crack with some of that grey seam sealing tape or some of that spray seal, or go thru the trouble and expense of having it replaced. Our insurance probably wouldn't cover it as we have $$$$ deductable. What would you guys do in my shoes? Any information would be appreciated.

Harry

Harry,

I would patch it with a piece of Eternabond tape.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I am of the other opinion, I would replace the sky light. You might get the seal you might not and the next time if you don't you WILL have a bunch of water damage to repair. Problem is you might hide the problem from view and get creeping rot. Now we are talking BIG dollars. Just my thoughts better safe than sorry.

LEN
Old 05-23-2015, 11:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I am of the other opinion, I would replace the sky light. You might get the seal you might not and the next time if you don't you WILL have a bunch of water damage to repair. Problem is you might hide the problem from view and get creeping rot. Now we are talking BIG dollars. Just my thoughts better safe than sorry.

LEN
X2, Replace the damage skylight. Prolong water damage noticeable or unnoticeable is the #1 repair killer for RV's.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
harry,
x2 on the erernabond tape repair.
stop drill the cracks with a 1/8'' drill bit first.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
harry,
x2 on the erernabond tape repair.
stop drill the cracks with a 1/8'' drill bit first.
This is very good for a temp fix. It already has 2 cracks that came from no where.

Harry, A 2013 dome should not be cracking. Do you recall if you scrape any tree branches on your roof lately? Or maybe the dome has reach it life due to a bad mix. Again, If it was me I would replace the dome.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:45 AM   #7

Replace it. You bought a really nice, expensive motorhome. Keep it that way.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:31 AM   #8

Sorry to hear about your leak!

I suggest temp fix as noted above and SCHEDULE your repair ahead with parts pre ordered if you don't plan on repairing yourself. This should save you being out of commission for weeks at a shop during peak season.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #9

Any warranty? Contact the manufacturer of the coach. They should help you with this.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Just bought and replaced my skylight. RVgeeks has the how to fix video How To Replace an RV Skylight - TheRVgeeks.

Here is the web site I used to purchase a replacement: Replacement RV Skylights from EZ Tops World Wide Inc., alls you have to buy is a tube or two of SB-140 to seal skylight. Once I had the skylight, it took about an hour to change out.

I then went inside the shower and replaced double sided tape for the dome inside the coach: How To Access the Inside of an RV Skylight - TheRVgeeks
Old 05-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #11

Thanks for all the information. A friend of mine told me of a product called Plastic Weld. Similar to JB WELD. I put it on the two original cracks but after further exam i found 5 more spider web cracks at the junction of where the placed the screws to hold it in place. I patched all of them with the epoxy and after it sets I will use some etherbond tape over the repairs. Tomorrow I will be contacting Monaco concerning this problem.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I would replace as others had suggested. It can cause a lot more damage in the long run if your repairs fail or are not completely sealed. Water in a motor home roof is not a good thing.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #13

I can tell you what NOT to do. I discovered Rustoleum clear rubber sealer is not UV resistant, and dries to a hard, light yellow, flaky coating when exposed to prolonged sunlight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #14

Locate a plastics dealer and let them look at it to confirm what it is.

Most will have solvent that is used as glue.

A couple drops on the crack and it wicks in and bonds instantly.

Look at plexiglas fish tanks...that is how they are made.

That will seal up cracks for now.

Should be replaced but determine the stresses that caused cracks and fix them.

Leave old one in place to insure stable before putting new one in.

Tags
light, shower