Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
We have this one in the MH and a similar one on the boat. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both have been very satisfactory.
thanks. we've never had a foam mattress. beyond the issue of bending the mattress every day and leaving it that way in the winter one of the things we're concerned about is the comfort of foam. we both like a firm mattress..can a foam mattress be firm??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamicamper View Post
I have the Zinus mattress in mine and absolutely love it. Check out the reviews on Amazon, they have a 5 star rating
do you also have the retractable bed?
Old 11-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Most of the "mattress in a box" sellers sell both memory foam mattresses and/OR medium firm to firm mattresses made up of different layers of different firmness foam.

Our Leesa brand mattress is "medium firm" but we both think it's quite firm compared to our bed at home.

https://www.leesa.com/

Here's our Leesa mattress installed in our 2017 Winnebago. You'll see we removed the headboard (VERY easy to do);
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leesa2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	267053  
Old 11-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Most of the "mattress in a box" sellers sell both memory foam mattresses and/OR medium firm to firm mattresses made up of different layers of different firmness foam.

Our Leesa brand mattress is "medium firm" but we both think it's quite firm compared to our bed at home.

https://www.leesa.com/

Here's our Leesa mattress installed in our 2017 Winnebago. You'll see we removed the headboard (VERY easy to do);
so your Leesa is not a memory foam and it's surviving the daily up/down dance?
Old 11-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
It's not a memory foam and it's survived nearly 2 full years of up and down and storage. We travel approx 4 months a year.

But you need to pay attention to the sizing issue. I planned on buying a mattress that I knew was 2" too long. Because if you look at the wall behind your current bed you'll see a 2" foam pad covered in fabric. It comes off with a couple of short wood screws and it's a one piece thing - fiber board with a 2" foam bolster on it and covered in light fabric. Once I removed that I had plenty of room for a California King mattress. When Folding the bed up the top of the mattress moved along the suade matterial used to make the headboard.

I worried about that "scrapping" (more like sliding) and decided to see if the head board could easily be removed. It too is a thin piece of fiberboard (1/8" thick at most) with some foam glued down and then material covering it. It was held on (barely) by two tiny wood screws per side / top and bottom that were easy to get access to by pulling back the folds in the pleats around the edges.

My wife and I never liked the headboard so we killed to birds with one stone. We planning on making a new one, but instead put some peal and stick "flooring" on the wall. It's like grey weathered barn wood.

Once it came off the wall- no more rubbing. Works great.

If you'd rather not mess with that sizing issue there are online RV Mattress sellers that will make you a mattress the exact same size as the Rest Easy and you can have them make it as firm as you want.

They ship these mattresses in a box all rolled up. You take out the old bed - easy but surprisingly heavy - pull the mattress roll out and put it on the bed and open the plastic bag. the bed unrolls and over 3 or 4 hours plumps up like the photo I posted. That photo was taken about 2 hours after unfurling the mattress.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #20

thanks. ours is a queen and if we do this we'd replace it with a queen. i'm sensitive to size and weight. when the bed is up and the slide is in the bottom edge of the bed just kisses the the wall/closet.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
when the bed is up and the slide is in the bottom edge of the bed just kisses the the wall/closet.
Yes, our King does as well.

Are you sure you have a "real" Queen and not an RV Queen?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Yes, our King does as well.

Are you sure you have a "real" Queen and not an RV Queen?
fairly certain based on std queen bedding, yes.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #23

I have and air bed in my Itasca/Winnebago Ellipse. Every night before going to bed I have to add air. I want to replace it. It is an RV King 72x80. The Leesa King is 76x80 and the Calif King is 72x84. I think the CA King may be too long at 84 inches and will affect the slides going in. Will a 76 inch King fit? There appears to be a little room on each side but it may rub when being folded in. Better the side rubbing that the foot of the bed interfering with the slides.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
thanks. we've never had a foam mattress. beyond the issue of bending the mattress every day and leaving it that way in the winter one of the things we're concerned about is the comfort of foam. we both like a firm mattress..can a foam mattress be firm??
Ours is the medium firm which is just right for me and too hard for the wife. I told her that if she'd just gain a few pounds she'd sink in a little more. That was several weeks ago that we had that conversation and the bruises are just barely visible. Who knew how hard women work to stay slim?

I have no idea on the bending and leaving it bent. I presume it will fill back in just like when it comes out of the box. Mine bends up to get to the storage underneath, but only stays that way for short periods of time.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbob View Post
Options on sleep number beds, pro's and cons.
I have had one for 3 years now in the coach and love ours.
Pros, we really like it and it is a very comfortable King size. Cons, having to remember to deflate it some before traveling. We had the spin off version in our last Winnebago and forgot to deflate. One side popped the seam at 7,000 feet and I slept on the board for a few nights.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Pros, we really like it and it is a very comfortable King size. Cons, having to remember to deflate it some before traveling. We had the spin off version in our last Winnebago and forgot to deflate. One side popped the seam at 7,000 feet and I slept on the board for a few nights.
I have never had to deflate mine, but only have mine set at 40lb.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #27

We have Sleep Number in both mh and s&b. Bed is the same wherever we go. Had one bladder fail 7 or 8 years ago. Contacted Sleep Number and they sent a new bladder with no charge. Know we should but have not always deflated as we cross mountain passes. So far, no problem.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote