Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #1

Sleep Number Bed Owners

Good day RV owners,
Currently my DW and I are shopping for a new mattress to replace the flimsy OEM that came with the motorhome. We have been shopping several stores that carry both major and house brands.

One brand we are considering is the Sleep Number R5 available at Camping World. I have been doing a bit of research on this version to compare it to the models at the Sleep Number Store. I have found out that the Sleep Number R5 (Camping World) and P6 (Sleep Number Stores) are identical in thickness and the number of "layers" used except for one instance. The P6 uses a proprietary cooling technology - graphite infusing into the last top layer to provide cooling. Therefore, we can go test the P6 at a Sleep Number store to see if we like it or not. Furthermore, I have found out through my research that the P6 is a medium firm mattress. From shopping at several mattress stores so far, the DW and I like an Ultra Plush type of firmness. Therefore, the p6 may be too firm for us. But as you know, the firmness can be adjusted to your liking. I also have found out that some owners of the R5 to further increase the comfort level of their Sleep Number, that add another layer of foam - i.e. memory, latex, get, etc.
Knowing this now, I have the following question to Sleep Number owners:

Q1: Have any owners of Sleep Number R5 mattress added another layer of comfort and what was your final outcome?

Best Regards
Dutch Master
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3960, Spartan Chassis, ISL 400HP, 2014 Chevy Captiva
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2018, 01:41 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sleep Number Bed Owners

Ours gets delivered in a few days at Chula Vista RV Resort. Don't remember the model, I'll let you know! Can't see why you'd put foam on top of a Sleep # bed!
We have a 2017 Landmark Newport!
2015 F350 DRW 2WD, B & W Companion hitch
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:05 AM   #3

Hope it works for you, we returned ours after 3 weeks. Could never get a setting we like and always rolled towards the center.
rampage42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We had a king Sleep Number in the S&B for 20 years. Loved it. They replaced nearly the entire bed at no cost, even though it was out of warranty.

We have one in the coach and love it too. We both do not like sinking in a bed, which nearly all memory foam beds do.

I did take a layer out of the bed at home, cut it to fit our queen size in the coach, and inserted it in the bed in the coach. So far so good.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:49 AM   #5

We had a sleep number and could not find a setting we liked. While at Lazy Days we bought a mattress which is an upgrade over the air mattress as far as we are concerned. If I had to do it again, I would buy an actual mattress like we have in the sticks and bricks and modify the frame like in our old Winnebago Tour 42 QD.

A restful sleep is important and I will most likely have to sell this new mattress in the future even though it is better than the air mattress it still falls below a quality mattress especially if you have back issues.

Spending five minutes on a bed in a store simply isn't enough time to see if the bed is right for you.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
We purchased the R5 1-1/2 years ago and so far pleased with it. We have one of the higher end models in our S&B. The R5 adjustments are a little courser than I would like so I float between 2 settings. Prior to the SN we had the old worn out original mattress and tried a memory foam which was absolutely horrible. We have had SN in the S&B for the past 12 years.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:42 AM   #7

Our new 2008 Monaco Dynasty came with a king Sleep Number bed system. It was nothing but trouble. The wands went out twice and replaced under warranty. The motor for the bed went out and replaced. Then, the bed would sink on one side and not stay inflated.

I had enough of that piece of junk Sleep Number bed and threw it in the dumpster near St. Louis. We went to a mattress store and bought a Beauty Rest pillow top king mattress and had them deliver it to the coach.

When we sold the Dynasty, I took the Beauty Rest out and put it in a guest room to replace an older mattress. Then, we bought a new RV mattress for the coach at Camping World so the new owner would have a new one.

I will never, ever, have a bed with a motor again.

This was just our experience, I know others have had good luck with their SN beds.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #8

Easy fix

You will find that they send you a "memory foam" insert that goes between the air mattress and the topper. Mine was about 2 inches thick. I bought a 4 inch memory foam and placed it on the air mattress and zipped the topper up over it. The DW likes her side even softer and has another 4 inch on top of the mattress. Like sleeping on a cloud
pecooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Also keep in mind that you will need to dump all the air out of the bed when traveling to a higher elevation to avoid damage from over Inflation.
With that said, I love our sleep number bed. DW likes a much firmer bed than I do.
Also, she does not notice when I turn over in the night. We like it so much in the coach, that we got one for the house.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #10

We had a sleep number bed in our Allegro Bus and we both hated it.

It seemed like it would sometimes lose firmness (not every day/night) and even when we had a number to fill it to, it always felt different.

Bought a memory foam mattress off Amazon and have never looked back
heathtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #11

My MH came with a sleep number, had to put a memory foam topper to make it sleepable. When it dies I’ll go to a memory foam.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Mattresses are a very personal thing. What is heaven for one is hell for another. For instance, I absolutely hate memory foam beds. Every one I have tried just kills my back the next day. I feel like I am sleeping on a form fitted hole. It is so difficult to turn from my back to my side. I just hate them! Yet, there are others who love them and wouldn't sleep on anything else. Both are valid and sincere opinions. I think you just need to try out the different beds for yourself to see what is right for you.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Mattresses are a very personal thing. What is heaven for one is hell for another. For instance, I absolutely hate memory foam beds. Every one I have tried just kills my back the next day. I feel like I am sleeping on a form fitted hole. It is so difficult to turn from my back to my side. I just hate them! Yet, there are others who love them and wouldn't sleep on anything else. Both are valid and sincere opinions. I think you just need to try out the different beds for yourself to see what is right for you.

X2: Mattresses are a very personal thing. Radisson hotels got beaten by offering Sleep Number beds. Also, don’t believe the marketing hype (90% or more of the mattress industry). Go to a store and try. Careful of the upsell. They are trained on that. School yourself on ILD rating.
JJ
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:02 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Had our Sleep Number for 8 years in 2 different coaches. Love it.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote