Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #1

i have searched the forum, but have not found a problem exactly like this. i have a 2000 32' Gulfstream Ultra Supreme on a Ford 450 chassis with a living room slide. It has always squeaked when extended or retracted, but recently it has started to bind on retraction, although, so far at least it has always retracted all the way. What i did notice is that the slide is not level within the opening. The front top gap is about 1/2", whereas the front bottom is about 1.5". The back gap is about 2" at the top and 1/2" at the bottom.

So my question is how do i adjust that kind of off level problem ?

thanks for any help...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #2

i have searched the forum, but have not found a problem exactly like this. i have a 2000 32' Gulfstream Ultra Supreme on a Ford 450 chassis with a living room slide. It has always squeaked when extended or retracted, but recently it has started to bind on retraction, although, so far at least it has always retracted all the way. What i did notice is that the slide is not level within the opening. The front top gap is about 1/2", whereas the front bottom is about 1.5". The back gap is about 2" at the top and 1/2" at the bottom.

So my question is how do i adjust that kind of off level problem ?

thanks for any help...
Old 07-27-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Which slide is it? Could it be the bedroom? If so remove the drawers for an inpsection of the slideout assmebly mounting. THere have been cases where the framing has pulled loose from the wall and has to be repaired with some flat stock steel plates. Let us know a little more specifics. Thanks.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #4

Read the post again!
He said it was the living room slide.
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sorry, I overlooked the fact that it is a living room slideout. It sounds like it has jumped timing. Is it electric?
Old 08-02-2008, 03:40 AM   #6

the slide is hydraulic, but its not a problem of not sealing against the side-wall, its a problem of the slide not being square in the opening. Kind of like its lower in the front than in the back..
Old 08-04-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You probably have a roller that is either broken or needs adjusting. Cut a couple pieces of 2x4 low angle wedges and use them to drive the floor of the slideout up onto them from an extended position. Get someone to help you and put the wedges at 1/3 and 2/3 positions of the slidedout floor, (probably under the carpet). Hold the wedges in place and retract the room slowly up onto the wedges. This will raise the room up and alow you to inspect the rollers. Be careful not to raise it too high and damage the roof of the slideout. Let us know what you find.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #8

ok, i tried to use two metal wedges i use to split logs, but i could not get the end high enough to see anything under the slide. How high can i safely lift edge ? i can make wedges out of 2x4 but i am not sure how high i can lift the inside edge...like 4 inches as in the full with of the 2 x 4?

Also, the slide has made a very loud squeeking noise when extended or retracted from the day i got it in 2004. could that be from a broken roller as well ?

If it is the roller, how tough is that to replace?

thanks for all your help !
Old 08-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #9

i re-read your last post and thought about the layout and wonder how long the wedges should be...

after thinking about it i suspect you mean longer wedges, right, something in 12 to 16 inch area?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
12 to 16" wedges would do fine. Pay attention to the roof of the slideout and the gasket in the main wall. THis is your limit of lift. You may be able to repair the roller as the axle usually slides out of one end of the bracket. Let me know what you find.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #11

Made the wedges and got the slide to ride up on them most of the way. I was barely able to look underneath, but what i did see looked ok. I wonder if i could get a better look at it from the outside ? and if so, how?

Another thing i noticed is that although the slide itself is not square in the opening, the paint patterns/lines match up, so maybe it came from the factory like that....!?!?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If the paint lines line up then the coach was built as you have it before it was painted or it has been repainted since. You can run the room all the way out and insert wedges and run the room in leaving enough open space outside to get your head or mirror into. Let me know what you find.