Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #15
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
On my 35' Triple E Commander ( W22) you can't operate the main slide untill you have dropped the jacks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #16

We have a 2006 Mandalay on a FL XC Chassis. The Mandalay manual states "Perform the Slideout room proceedure with the air suspension system full"

Two paragraphs later it states "The motorhome must be level before extending the slideouts"

Extending the HWH jacks automatically dumps the bags as the first step in their extenson operation.

So, the Mandalay proceedure literally would be:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> 1. Leveling jacks out which also dumps the bags.
<LI> 2. Start engine, pump the bags up.[/list]3. Stop engine. Extend slides.

I just talked with a factory rep who stated that, in his opinion, the manual is wrong and the correct proceedure would be to level and then extend without airing up.

Sure hope that's right.

Cummins ISL-400
Jim O'Mahony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #17

Wow, this is a great discussion.

I am glad I have a gas (as far as procedure goes) as it seems we (at least the largest %) are to level and then do our slides.

I am sometimes guilty of tilting my left side a bump after my green light comes on. My thinking is that once I put the big slide out, it will be level. Only a bump thou.

I hate to see all the rigs on the lot with their slides extended and the coach sitting very crooked. I have even commented to the salesman on this before. He said, yea I know but we never put the levelers down.

Whew, never thought this would be having so many different instructions depending on the manufacturer.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't want to yell however please, LEVEL AND THEN EXTEND SLIDES. When you want to depart, RETRACT SLIDES AND THEN RETRACT JACKS...end of story....

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud:
I don't want to yell however please, LEVEL AND THEN EXTEND SLIDES. When you want to depart, RETRACT SLIDES AND THEN RETRACT JACKS...end of story.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes Sir!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #20

I made a call to Holiday Rambler today to ask the very same question myself. The tech says the proper proceedure is in my manual. I told him I didn't remember seeing a written proceedure. Meanwhile he was seaching for his Endeaver manual but couldn't locate it so he pulled out a Diplomat manual and read it to me. Said slides out then level. Guess I could try it once to see what happen....dumping air is optional depending if you want or need the last step lower. He seemed to think leaving the air in is better than dumping.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it
Old 06-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud:
I don't want to yell however please, LEVEL AND THEN EXTEND SLIDES. When you want to depart, RETRACT SLIDES AND THEN RETRACT JACKS...end of story.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes Sir! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How high sir!

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #22

Why?????
Kind of make sense with large slides to extend and then level. I think???
Old 06-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed S:
so he pulled out a Diplomat manual and read it to me. Said slides out then level. Guess I could try it once to see what happen....dumping air is optional depending if you want or need the last step lower.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd sure like to know what planet the manual he is reading from was printed.

Our Avion manual not level them slide out, slide in and then unlevel.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #24

Funny thing about manuals is that many times things get mixed up in the translation. I put out the tech manual on the software I write however when they dummy it down for the common user they more often then not get things twisted around and backwards. I see evidence of the same in most motorhome manuals.

That being said it doesn't make good sense to put in or out a relativly rigid square slide on a chassis that is in a state of flex. As the weight transfers the chassis will flex and bind the apeture. That is when floors get gouged and slide seals get pulled out.

Timing is also another matter. When was the manual written? Before or after the automatic levelers were installed. If the manual was written before the leveling jacks were installed then the proceedure may be out of date and innapropriate for a coach with levelers.

Factory reps many times have never seen the factory, the product or even the country you are in and can only answer from the cheat sheet they are given which may contain the same errors as the manual.

Level then slide out. Slide in and then store the jacks.

Anyway real men don't need manuals or instruction sheets. ;&gt;
Old 06-07-2007, 02:26 AM   #25

WOW, with that being said makes me wonder why we pay so much money for a product yet we cannot get good after care answers. Would be nice if who ever designs these homes on wheels would take a minute to keep up with forums such as this and put out some sort of notification and justification. Guess I will not chance it...level then slides
Old 06-07-2007, 04:25 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After reading the numerous conflicting posts in this thread, I conclude: IT DEPENDS.

Call the dealer and ask them what is RECOMMENDED for your rig. On mine, it is level, then extend.

But just between us girls , I doubt it makes a heck of a lot of difference and we are unlikely to hear of the world coming to an end because someone does it differently.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:24 AM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
After reading the numerous conflicting posts in this thread, I conclude: IT DEPENDS.

Call the dealer and ask them what is RECOMMENDED for your rig. On mine, it is level, then extend.

But just between us girls , I doubt it makes a heck of a lot of difference and we are unlikely to hear of the world coming to an end because someone does it differently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Do what your specific manufacturer recommends. That way, if something does go wrong they cannot deny you warranty because you didn't follow their instructions.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #28

I found this very interesting......straight from the Monoco web site "Teck Tips"

Tech Tip 196: 07/14/06 - Slide Rooms

Slide room controls are generally located on the hallway monitor panel or a cabinet face. To operate a slide room the battery cut out switch must be set to power the batteries on, and the house batteries must be charged. If the system fails to operate with adequate battery supply, check the slide room fuse. Fuse panels are located in an overhead cabinet at the bedroom or the overhead cabinet in the bathroom.

Examine available space outside the motor home before you extend the slide room. Slide rooms extend outwards at different dimensions. One room may extend 18-inches and another 34-inches on the same vehicle. You may need to reposition the vehicle to allow clearance for all slide room extensions away from trees, shrubs or shore power pedestals. Never allow a slide room to extend into the path of traffic, even when parked in a campground area.

Once you have confirmed adequate leeway outside, turn off the ignition and move the driver's seat forward. Some recent model motor homes are designed to automatically reposition the cab seat when the slide room button is engaged. If the slide room comes equipped with travel locks it will be necessary to remove the locks prior to room extension.

The rule of thumb for motor homes and travel trailers is to first extend the slide room and then level the RV.

While the slide room is out examine the exterior seals for cracks or tears. Wipe away dust and debris build up from the seals. Some slide rooms are constructed with awnings to promote water run off away from the top seal. Awnings are also available as an after market addition.

Prior to retracting the slide room use a broom or brush to remove debris from the top of the slide room awning. Clear the floor inside the vehicle of obstacles that may impede room movement and dirt that could damage the floor. Make sure the driver's seat is positioned to provide ample space for the room to move in.

The slide room is an independent assembly. Therefore, a motor home must be squarely set on suspension prior to bringing in the slide room. Retract hydraulic jacks, or if equipped with air leveling, return the motor home to ride height before pulling in slides in.

When the room exterior is wet, retract the slide in small increments to allow time for water run off. In the event the room fails to operate, consult your vehicle owner's manual or contact Technical Support for directions in how to manually operate the slide room. Install slide room travel locks that may be provided prior to driving.