Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Slide out topper

I HAVE READ AND STUDIED UP ON THIS SUBJECT AND I AM STILL NOT SURE WHAT TO BUY AND USE FOR A TOPPER REPLACEMENT. TOUGH TOPPERS 15 OZ. FABRIC? SUNBRELLA ACRILIC FABRIC? I GET WATER LAYING ON TOPPER AFTER RAIN ON TOPPER. NEWMAR MANUAL STATES THAT THIS WILL HAPPEN,THEY STATE TO RETRACT SLIDE TO REMOVE WATER. NOT A VERY GOOD SOLUTION AS THE SLIDE HARDWARE AND MOTOR IS USED ENOUGH LET ALONE TO RID WATER OFF TOP. MY TOPPER JUST LOOKS LIKE IT DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH SLOPE FROM THE COACH TO THE TOP OF THE SLIDE WHEN OUT. WOULD THE HEAVIER FABRIC FROM TOUGH TOPPERS HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM? MY TOPPER IS IN GREAT SHAPE FOR A 2000 MODEL BUT IT HAS BEEN STRECHED FROM THE WATER LAYING ON IT OVER THE YEARS. I HAVE 2 PIECES OF 3/4" PINK CELOTX THAT I SLIDE UNDER THE TOPPER WHEN OUT TO RAISE IT IN THE CENTER TO TRY AND GET THE WATER TO RUN OFF AND THIS WORKS FOR THE MOST PART BUT I WOULD LIKE TO GET AWAY FROM THIS AS PART OF MY SET UP WHEN WE CAMP AS IT REQUIRES A LADDER TO DO THIS.I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND THEIR FIXS AND IF THIER FIXS WORKED BEFORE I SPEND THE MONEY TO TRY AND FIX THIS PROBLEM BY REPLACING THE TOPPER. THANK YOU
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
No, heavier fabric will not fix the "problem" of water standing on the toppers ...in fact, heavier fabric will sag more due to the normal pull of gravity. Some people use the mesh/sunscreen type fabric and just let the water run through onto the slide room top. Personally, I don't consider it a problem when water is on my toppers. If it is still there when I am ready to pull the slides in I may drop the levelers on one end to make most of it run off ...or I may simply retract the slide and let it dump over the side.

I know it appears the fabric is stretched, but I doubt it. I have replaced my toppers twice due to deterioration of stitching and/or fabric. The second time (just a few months ago) I got Sunbrella Acrylic believing it will last much better than the cheap stuff I got the first time. Both times I replaced them, the fabric appeard to be stretched when in place, but after removal it did NOT appear to be stretched in any way ...it simply sags over the distance it is extended.

If you want to stop water from standing on the toppers you will have to slip something under them (as you are doing) to hold them up. Some people use beach balls, others pvc pipe frames, or other creations. Of course a decent slope downward from RV to slide edge would, but that isn't something we can likely change after the factory build. I also have considered tying a rope around the slide with the theory that the water will "wick" down the rope ...but I don't know how well that will work.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you very much for your input, it all makes sense what you are telling me. I want to hear from people like you that have had this problem and tryed to solve it. I hope to hear more idea's.......
Old 12-26-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Find the low point and cut a 1/2" hole int he fabric and install a brass grommet to keep fabric from tearing. The hole will allow the water out. If it is a long topper you may have to put in 2 or 3 holes. If you are going to replace the fabric I would recommend acrylic over vinyl.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #5

Why even use a topper? As some evidence that you don't need one, and with all respect, you can cut a hole in it to let the rain water through with no consequences.

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35'
Art E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art E View Post
Why even use a topper? As some evidence that you don't need one, and with all respect, you can cut a hole in it to let the rain water through with no consequences.
Leaves. Toppers aren't really designed to keep the top of the slides dry... they're there to minimize the amount of tree junk that accumulates on top and then gets dragged into your coach when the slides are retracted.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
The topper is not intebded to keep water off the slide top

Why have a topper?? ...two quick reasons I think of are:
...it keeps direct sun off the thin slide roof, making the inside cooler in hot weather
...it keeps all the leaves, ice and such crap off the slide roof, and therefore from being brought inside when you retract the slide. ...not a big deal for a few days camping perhaps, but when parked in one place for a longer time my toppers can get a good bit of stuff on them, and the cloth gets pretty dirty/slimey/etc. The topper is designed to simply dump thatstuff over the side when the slide is retracted. If larger branches are on the topper you might want to remove the first by hand, but you don't really need to in order to retract the slide.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote