Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #1

Slide Switch guards

Last fall my wife put a box on the dresser and happened to push the bedroom slide button in the retract mode. I was out of the MH and when I came back and heard the noise it was to late. The HWH hydrolic motor was burned up.
I have since replaced the motor but decided that the slide switches needed guards to keep any future accidental use. I have created two guards using my 3-D printer and posted the design on-line for anyone that wants to make their own. Here is the link. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2837860
Attached are pictures of the guards on the switches. Hope this helps others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front slide switch with guard.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	196527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide switch rear with guard.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	196528  

mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 04:38 AM   #2

mdvs-

Nice job on the guards. They could be used wherever a "bump" might cause problems.

I solved the problem in a different way. I put a lighted SPST switch electrically upstream of each slide switch. Unless that switch is "on," the slide in-out switch is dead.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #3

I was able to simply put a drawer pull over the switch. Now you need to sort of reach around it to touch the switch.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 AM   #4

The cut-out switch is a good idea. I don't know why these are left live all the time. They do kill the leveling jacks (same hydrolic motor) when the key is off but not the slides.

I also like the idea of the drawer handle over the switch. I have seen switches like that on military equipment.
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine are placed where I won't likely bump them but

You know on my RV there is (or was) a key switch. (It broke) and if it's OFF the slides do not slide under power EVER.

I replaced it with a rocker switch, the odds of my bumping it are minmul but where a I left the key switch on full time other mods I made made a "Cut off" mandatory so I installed the rocker.> Works great.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Prior motorhome, GeorgieBoy Landau DP. 2 Slide switches were in overhead cabinet, Spring loaded Power switch had to be held while in or out was selected on rocker switch. For emergency slide retract, power switch had to be held to release slide motor brake while manual crank brought slide in. Helper needed for that.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, switch