Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #1

Slide Toppers

I have Carefree of Colorado slide toppers. Although we have a relatively new rig in RV years, the stitching on the seams on all our toppers is virtually gone. I have no idea what they are using, but it must be plain old cotton to have rotted out in such a short time. I have noticed several posts on other forums on the same subject with the same problem. They are sorry, and I'd never have another of their products.

Does anybody know of a protectant that can be put on the thread to keep them from rotting away...once I get these fixed?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Use better thread - polyester uv resistant...... better yet, take to a sail shop for resewing.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

We have Colorado Carefree toppers on our three slides. We full time and hence the 8 year old toppers have been exposed to sun light for probably about 95 percent of their life. Recently during strong winds we had the thread pull out on one seam and to save the topper I disconnected it from the "J" rail. As suggested... it will be removed from the roller tube and taken to a canvas shop for repair. I thing the Colorado products are great. The only issue I have is the noise they make while extended during windy periods. Frequently during windy times we pull the bedroom slide in to eliminate the noise.

Get the topper repaired... and good luck
Old 04-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
We have Colorado Carefree toppers on our three slides. We full time and hence the 8 year old toppers have been exposed to sun light for probably about 95 percent of their life. Recently during strong winds we had the thread pull out on one seam and to save the topper I disconnected it from the "J" rail. As suggested... it will be removed from the roller tube and taken to a canvas shop for repair. I thing the Colorado products are great. The only issue I have is the noise they make while extended during windy periods. Frequently during windy times we pull the bedroom slide in to eliminate the noise.

Get the topper repaired... and good luck
I called the factory and was told they have been using the same thread for 35 years. So how can yours have lasted so long and mine is toast (ALL six edges on three slides) in an almost new MH? Something is not right. Am I going to have to have these repaired every three years??
Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My Carefree toppers (the SOK II model) are now 7 years old and holding up fine, in sun and all kinds of weather.

Some areas are subject to various kinds of "acid rain", which can raise havoc with some materials and finishes. This caustic rain can be local industrial chemical sin the air, or gunk carried in from a long distance by prevailing winds.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
thread care

you can always use tent seam wax or canvas tent spray on your thread

PS We were told that there were a couple of years where the stitching thread was not up to Quality lets say for those touchy feely folks

Good Luck
Trouble