Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2022, 08:58 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to sgordo88 Send a message via MSN to sgordo88 Send a message via Yahoo to sgordo88
HWH Slide Will Not Work

Our slide suddenly stopped working.
I have changed the converter (stock original was kicking the breaker) and batteries and still the slide does not come out.
I'd like to fix it myself.
I should add that leveling legs are still working.
Also, the slide has been creeping out while in storage.
The leveling and slide system is HWH Series 200.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G.
sgordo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2022, 09:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgordo88 View Post
Our slide suddenly stopped working.
I have changed the converter (stock original was kicking the breaker) and batteries and still the slide does not come out.
I'd like to fix it myself.
The leveling and slide system is HWH Series 200.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G.
Do you hear the pump motors when you engage the slide switch?

AZPete is a guy you need to find on here BTW, he knows HWH stuff inside and out... also HWH has a tech help line too:

Tech Support, Manuals, Online Schools – General Information – HWH® Corporation

2096 Moscow Road | Moscow, Iowa 52760
Ph: (800) 321-3494 (or) (563) 724-3396 | Fax: (563) 724-3408
Old 09-17-2022, 09:34 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to sgordo88 Send a message via MSN to sgordo88 Send a message via Yahoo to sgordo88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristoRV View Post
Do you hear the pump motors when you engage the slide switch?

AZPete is a guy you need to find on here BTW, he knows HWH stuff inside and out... also HWH has a tech help line too:

Tech Support, Manuals, Online Schools – General Information – HWH® Corporation

2096 Moscow Road | Moscow, Iowa 52760
Ph: (800) 321-3494 (or) (563) 724-3396 | Fax: (563) 724-3408
No, I am pretty sure I just hear a faint "click" if anything and that may only be the rocker switch itself clicking plastic on plastic.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:38 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
No, I am pretty sure I just hear a faint "click" if anything and that may only be the rocker switch itself clicking plastic on plastic.
Start checking fuses... pull out your manual and see which fuses are linked to the hydraulic system... its gonna be on the 12V fuse blocks. On mine that is a bank of push ones up over the stove or a series of those auto-pull fuses up under the dash, in my 02 Winnie Adventurer, yours might be diff of course...
Old 09-17-2022, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristoRV View Post
Start checking fuses... pull out your manual and see which fuses are linked to the hydraulic system... its gonna be on the 12V fuse blocks. On mine that is a bank of push ones up over the stove or a series of those auto-pull fuses up under the dash, in my 02 Winnie Adventurer, yours might be diff of course...
Oh, yes, I checked every single fuse I could find, even the in-line ones under the back of the coach, although there could be one I missed. What's confusing is it would seem the levelers would be using the same fuses and the leveler works.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:38 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most slides and levelers feed from BATTERY vs Power Center, so there are BREAKERS (might be 2, 3, 4?) next to battery/ adjacent (MINE under step, by battery, but vapor seperated), usually within 18", just follow the POS+ cable. Smaller (20, 25,30a) usually have a small button that pops out on small end of breaker when tripped. Some circuits can be auto-reset, but jacks/ slides usually manual reset to prevent killing people. Good Luck.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Most slides and levelers feed from BATTERY vs Power Center, so there are BREAKERS (might be 2, 3, 4?) next to battery/ adjacent (MINE under step, by battery, but vapor seperated), usually within 18", just follow the POS+ cable. Smaller (20, 25,30a) usually have a small button that pops out on small end of breaker when tripped. Some circuits can be auto-reset, but jacks/ slides usually manual reset to prevent killing people. Good Luck.
I just changed out the batteries, yesterday. Back to the battery box.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
I just changed out the batteries, yesterday. Back to the battery box.
Okay, followed what I could. No reset button. There is a 40 amp coach breaker under the dash pad, but that has not popped.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:32 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Using a VOLTMETER, test your breakers and solenoids. May need helper to activate switches. BEWARE CRUSH HARZARDS/ RISKS. My slides solenoids were replaced because they would stick engaged and thus trip the BREAKER; my BOOST SOLENOID was opposite and would CLUNK but not connect; new parts fixed both.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Using a VOLTMETER, test your breakers and solenoids. May need helper to activate switches. BEWARE CRUSH HARZARDS/ RISKS. My slides solenoids were replaced because they would stick engaged and thus trip the BREAKER; my BOOST SOLENOID was opposite and would CLUNK but not connect; new parts fixed both.
I am leaning towards doing as you suggest, simply because of age and critical need for these parts to function, just need to find a tech. I got leaking seals, as well, so I intend to have all those replaced, as well. Honestly, even if those replacements don't fix the problem, I will feel better about being out on the road. I reckon we'll just tough it out for a couple of weeks, then take it to the shop where we live.

One more thing, it may be a Pandora's Box, but there is a junction box below the sofa and I know it's connected to slide wiring. Have you ever heard of anything so user inaccessible to have something like a breaker or fuse?
Old 09-20-2022, 12:34 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thinking about JUNCTION BOX UNDER SLIDE COUCH, I would more suspect that is for lighting above the couch?... but, cud be wrong. If slide hydraulic, usually no related wiring in the slide itself.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:51 AM   #12

Okay. Update, after I finish my morning coffee, I am going to check the hydraulic fluid level. It has come to my attention that the slide might be holding up because of low hydraulic fluid pressure. I finally found the pump and solenoids.

Is it permissible to use a seal leak product like Lucas to top off my Hydraulic fluid? Otherwise, just a generic hydraulic fluid or Dexron II?
Old 09-26-2022, 01:05 PM   #13

i have a 2001 Itasca with HWH slides.

1) I don't think low fluid is your problem as when I serviced mine with a lot of leaks the pump would still make some noise even when very low on fluid.

2) I would not put any leak seal in your system. You have a very old unit and the seals on the cylinders most likely need replacing.
I rebuilt mine for about $10 each ( I rebuilt 3: 2 on living room and 1 on bedroom slide ).

The hardest part about the job was figuring out how to get the cylinders out.
After they were out, I took the cylinder into a Hydraulic Store and they chose the seals for me. I spent less than $50 rebuilding 3 cylinders. A local shop wanted $250 to repair 1.

If you are low on fluid, it went somewhere, so you have a leak somewhere.
If you decide to fix it yourself, look for a writeup I did : search for my name, or HWH slide.

Feel free to private message me if you decide to rebuilt the cylinders.

But it is my opinion that if you don't hear anything when you hit the buttons you most likely have an electrical problem.

Kip
2001 Itasca Sundancer
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwftlaud View Post
i have a 2001 Itasca with HWH slides.

1) I don't think low fluid is your problem as when I serviced mine with a lot of leaks the pump would still make some noise even when very low on fluid.

2) I would not put any leak seal in your system. You have a very old unit and the seals on the cylinders most likely need replacing.
I rebuilt mine for about $10 each ( I rebuilt 3: 2 on living room and 1 on bedroom slide ).

The hardest part about the job was figuring out how to get the cylinders out.
After they were out, I took the cylinder into a Hydraulic Store and they chose the seals for me. I spent less than $50 rebuilding 3 cylinders. A local shop wanted $250 to repair 1.

If you are low on fluid, it went somewhere, so you have a leak somewhere.
If you decide to fix it yourself, look for a writeup I did : search for my name, or HWH slide.

Feel free to private message me if you decide to rebuilt the cylinders.

But it is my opinion that if you don't hear anything when you hit the buttons you most likely have an electrical problem.

Kip
2001 Itasca Sundancer
1) I agree, but the only chance was that the low pressure might trigger a switch. As it is, the hydraulic fluid is low normal.

2) Leak seal is a Hail Mary, for sure. I was wondering if someone might have tried and used it.

I just may try to rebuild them. My biggest challenge with doing my own work is the antagonism of the city where I live. My driveway is about a 6% grade; there is no way or room to park my 37 foot rig there. My local city has an ordinance against any RV parking. Even though there are stipulated exceptions, the local police happily write out tickets, which I have to challenge to get dismissed. Their real target is homeless RVers, but the "zero tolerance" mentality makes my RV a target. End rant. Anyway, the point is is frustrating for me to get somewhere where I can do such work.

BTW- The HWH manual is very clear that one should not use jack or ordinary hydraulic fluid, but they say nothing about the seals. When we talk about seals, are they just o-rings?

Tags
hwh, slide