Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2023, 04:05 PM   #1

Slideout frame

Ok, with this one I’m asking for honest help… we have a 40ft class A. The bedroom slide is an 8ft slide. The frame work underneath is all rusted out and needs to be rebuilt, the inside part of the frame is in good shape, it’s just the framework under the box itself. I can disassemble the inner frame without a problem. My problem is that I can’t take the slide out so it needs to stay in while the frame is being rebuilt. Any suggestions how to frame up the box so I can slide the frame out to rebuild it.

We need the slide to stay in, we live in this thing full time so there’s no way that we can have a shop do it for us. We’re both on disability so money is tough to come by.

Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks
deano360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2023, 04:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano360 View Post
Ok, with this one I’m asking for honest help… we have a 40ft class A. The bedroom slide is an 8ft slide. The frame work underneath is all rusted out and needs to be rebuilt, the inside part of the frame is in good shape, it’s just the framework under the box itself. I can disassemble the inner frame without a problem. My problem is that I can’t take the slide out so it needs to stay in while the frame is being rebuilt. Any suggestions how to frame up the box so I can slide the frame out to rebuild it.

We need the slide to stay in, we live in this thing full time so there’s no way that we can have a shop do it for us. We’re both on disability so money is tough to come by.

Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks

Pictures speak a thousand words.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:32 PM   #3

So the frame has holes through it. ?????
What's on top of that slide , cabinets ect. I imagine the floor has to be removed, unless you can he away with just some reinforcing work.
If you have a smart phone download IRV2 phone app super easy to load pics. Same login info you can create title load pics and switch to pc and edit the phone post with keyboard. Post a bunch and include slide mechanism.
If you can do the rv carpenter stuff might be able to find a local welder to help you out..
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:33 PM   #4

I hope these pics upload
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F85D802C-2EC6-4D33-9E53-A7C68CFEDB19.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	384101   Click image for larger version

Name:	F12323D4-F5F5-4D19-AFAD-34FEED1C64B5.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	384102  

Old 01-09-2023, 04:37 PM   #5

The frame is rusted out
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	242303B2-08CE-4F44-80BB-7B4E09F34FF7.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	384104  
Old 01-09-2023, 04:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
What's on top of that slide , cabinets ect. I imagine the floor has to be removed, unless you can he away with just some reinforcing work.
If you have a smart phone download IRV2 phone app super easy to load pics. Same login info you can create title load pics and switch to pc and edit the phone post with keyboard. Post a bunch and include slide mechanism.
If you can do the rv carpenter stuff might be able to find a local welder to help you out..
There is night stand cabinets in the slide on each side of the bed, there is nothing on top of the slide, no wires no lights
Old 01-09-2023, 04:48 PM   #7

The inside slide mechanism
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71E87008-1CDB-4BD3-8F91-18CAC408EC7E.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	384105   Click image for larger version

Name:	C1D39D07-2CE9-440A-8117-F9747D36BD35.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	384106  

Name:	BED14BA5-D929-4C57-80AA-18508E498C61.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	384107  
Old 01-09-2023, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Pictures speak a thousand words.
I have posted more pics
Old 01-09-2023, 05:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post

Those hole are thru the side wall for power to the lights on the walls, there’s the nightstand cabinets on each side of the bed, and the frame is screwed into the floor

Yes I am now using the irv2 app, I also posted some pic of the slide mechanism
Old 01-11-2023, 10:36 AM   #10

Looking at the last pic, is the ram connected to the outside frame that is rusted?
Is the slide working properly still?

If everything seems to be working ok this is what I would do.
You can get paint that will convert the rust ( I used some made by Rustolium )
I would coat both outside and then inside.
I would then attach some channel iron or square metal tubing on the inside of the bed frame. Getting a welder to weld it in place would be best as any bolts that would attach the support might interfere with the operation of the slide.

But really, this would be a band aid. If the slide frame is this rusty, the rest of the rig can not be far behind it.
Do you still drive this? Or, just live in it full time?

Kip
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:52 AM   #11

On second look. it appears the slide frame is not on the floor like mine is but raised about a foot. So, the rusted part seems to be on the floor of the slide and not on the slide mechanism . It would appear from the pics that the rusted part is the part that comes in contact with the floor.

If this is so, then you only need to worry about the 2 sides and not the cross part as the frame of the ram is where the support of the structure is. .
When I worked on my slide I was able to work on it in place. If you take apart the connection of the ram from the frame you can move the slide around quite easily. You might be able to tilt it and paint it ( still a good idea to do that to stop the rust ) and then put a flat piece of metal under the rusted slides ( looks like 4 inches wide and 3 or 4 ft long ) Attaching it at both ends with a few bolts should keep it in place. I don't think adding 1/4 inch thick of new metal will raise the slide up enough to bind it, but if that happened you would have to shave some wood of of the top.
Good luck
Kip
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwftlaud View Post
Looking at the last pic, is the ram connected to the outside frame that is rusted?

Is the slide working properly still?

If everything seems to be working ok this is what I would do.

You can get paint that will convert the rust ( I used some made by Rustolium )

I would coat both outside and then inside.

I would then attach some channel iron or square metal tubing on the inside of the bed frame. Getting a welder to weld it in place would be best as any bolts that would attach the support might interfere with the operation of the slide.

But really, this would be a band aid. If the slide frame is this rusty, the rest of the rig can not be far behind it.

Do you still drive this? Or, just live in it full time?

Kip

The slide does go in and out however I have to push in the bottom to get it to close all the way, and yes we do drive it… side note, under the slide cover, there seems to have been a lot of water in there… I have done what I can to put the best bandaid on… the clearance on one end of the slide is only about 1/16th inch
Old 01-11-2023, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano360 View Post
The slide does go in and out however I have to push in the bottom to get it to close all the way, and yes we do drive it… side note, under the slide cover, there seems to have been a lot of water in there… I have done what I can to put the best bandaid on… the clearance on one end of the slide is only about 1/16th inch

It does have the center rail to move it, on the inside rail connection it’s stillClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2875.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	490.7 KB
ID:	384217 good metal, on the opposing side of the rail (directly under the box) you can see how the rust is taking over, and soon will be compromising the integrity
Old 01-11-2023, 07:32 PM   #14

Slideout frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwftlaud View Post
On second look. it appears the slide frame is not on the floor like mine is but raised about a foot. So, the rusted part seems to be on the floor of the slide and not on the slide mechanism . It would appear from the pics that the rusted part is the part that comes in contact with the floor.

If this is so, then you only need to worry about the 2 sides and not the cross part as the frame of the ram is where the support of the structure is. .

When I worked on my slide I was able to work on it in place. If you take apart the connection of the ram from the frame you can move the slide around quite easily. You might be able to tilt it and paint it ( still a good idea to do that to stop the rust ) and then put a flat piece of metal under the rusted slides ( looks like 4 inches wide and 3 or 4 ft long ) Attaching it at both ends with a few bolts should keep it in place. I don't think adding 1/4 inch thick of new metal will raise the slide up enough to bind it, but if that happened you would have to shave some wood of of the top.

Good luck

Kip

The vast majority of the rust is under the slide box, if I could find a way to separate the box from the frame, I could then slide the frame out (maybe a little finagling), the biggest issue is to leave the box in while rebuilding the frame. We are in an rv park with no property that we could use for the repairs, and we live in it

Yes the mechanism is above the floor 10-12 inches

Tags
frame, slide, slideout