Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #15

Almost all quality engine rebuilders offer "long stroke" versions of the 460 taking it out to over 600 cubic inches; The longer stroke combined with a camshaft ground for torque can do wonders for you. Much more than mods, for about the same money as adding all the mods and giving you much more pulling power and dependability

Long stroke "torquey" motors make a difference; our 2004 Dodge Hemi will turn 159K this week and still does the job!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I live out west, where the big hills are. I tow a Nissan 4x4 Kingcab, 3k lbs. On some of the 'hills' I've had to drop to 2nd gear, and cruise at 25mph. Much rather do that than blow the motor trying to get in a hurry.

Most hills I can do in 3rd gear at 55mph. Do NOT run these V-8's over 4k rpm for long stretches. But.... they will run all day long at 3k rpm.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #17

My 460 is an "88 model.
Randy1252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I find it interesting the OP is receiving all this advice without even knowing the % grade he's talking about pulling at 45 mph. If it's a 6% grade then I think he's doing fine.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
check out the banks website expensive but they work.
tallen
tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen View Post
check out the banks website expensive but they work.
tallen
Agreed, we put a Banks kit on a 460, made a big difference but no noticeable increase in fuel mileage, but we can't measure fuel to the .001 gallon like Banks does either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
I live out west, where the big hills are. I tow a Nissan 4x4 Kingcab, 3k lbs. On some of the 'hills' I've had to drop to 2nd gear, and cruise at 25mph. Much rather do that than blow the motor trying to get in a hurry.

Most hills I can do in 3rd gear at 55mph. Do NOT run these V-8's over 4k rpm for long stretches. But.... they will run all day long at 3k rpm.
I also live in Lancaster. Had a 92 Dodge 5.9. 165 hp I worked both sides of the Grapevine ( 3 miles of 6%). Spent several thousand on a gearvendor trans. Didn't help the $2,000 worth. Slow down and smell the roses.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #22

Thanks, all. I guess I was still living the "rushed" life last year, Now that I'm retired, I will just slow down and "smell the roses"; let it go at it's own pace. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #23

I had a 36 foot HR with the 460. Those aren't hills, those are mountains. If you're doing 45, you're doing good.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #24

I have a 460 in my 'C' and have found there's a world of difference in how fast it goes up a hill, almost completely dependent on how fast I am going when I get to the hill.

There's one nasty hill in particular I have to climb fairly often near my home, if I hit the bottom of it doing 55 mph I'm lucky to go over the top doing 35 mph. If I hit that same hill doing 65 mph, I can top it doing a little over 60 mph.

There seems to be a 'sweet spot' in the horsepower and gearing that just makes a world of difference in performance. Experiment a little, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I have a 460 in my 'C' and have found there's a world of difference in how fast it goes up a hill, almost completely dependent on how fast I am going when I get to the hill.

There's one nasty hill in particular I have to climb fairly often near my home, if I hit the bottom of it doing 55 mph I'm lucky to go over the top doing 35 mph. If I hit that same hill doing 65 mph, I can top it doing a little over 60 mph.

There seems to be a 'sweet spot' in the horsepower and gearing that just makes a world of difference in performance. Experiment a little, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Me to.... it's called the power curve, where the engine is at optimum torque / horse power. You can be in it in a lower gear, but you will be going slower. On steep inclines, like the world famous "grapevine" on Hwy 5 in Calif, I like to get a good run, then manually drop down outa over- drive at the right time to keep in that power band.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #26

I know what you mean about the "sweet spot". I haven't (yet) put enough miles on the MH to find it, but I will.
Thanks for all the great comments.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
+1 on improving the exhaust system if yours is still stock. The factory manifolds and muffler on the 460 are VERY restrictive. I put Hedman Elite coated headers and full Flowmaster exhaust system on mine and the difference was night and day. Before it would barely get out of its own way and would downshift on the slightest incline. Now it will has much more power, runs cooler and pulls hills better with less downshifting.
All that said, 45 on the hills doesn't sound so bad but we really don't know what you have for "hills" so it is hard to compare.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #28

Last week I was climbing a good size hill & decided to not push the engine so hard & slowed to about 50. Decided to turn on the flashers to alert vehicles coming up behind me. I was in a panic mode for about 5 seconds because when I turned them on the cruise control kicked off & the radio muted. I thought the entire coach had shut down.