Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #1

Smelly water confession

Confession is good for the soul. Perhaps this one will be of help to someone else?
I got my MH about a year ago and the water had a peculiar odor. The MH was a year old so I sanitized it with a bleach solution but the odor soon returned. I repeated this several times and it eventually became obvious that the smell was in the hot water lines. Now I attacked the water heater. Flushed it out, changed anodes, even filled it with vinegar and cooked it to no avail. To make matters more confusing, the smell eventually seemed to become more localized in the bathroom sink area??
Finally I remembered being told that our MH was plumbed for washer/drier that had never been installed. One more sanitizing (this time including the W/D lines) and the problem has not returned. Hope this never happens to you. It makes one feel stupid!
have a nice day - Darrel
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #2

The water will evaporate out of the trap again in a month or two. Unused drains in any sink, tub, shower or dishwasher will dry out and allow sewer fumes into the living space. Good luck!!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
If you pour Antifreeze into the traps (a cup or so) during storage it won't evaporate and that will help keep the orders down where they belong.

Dick
Old 11-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #4

Now see I never thought of that because I never winterize or "store". But I have seen this in the toilets of a few repo houses I have looked at. That's the best way to "seal" a drain against evaporation. Thanks Theberrys!!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a cap, from Home Depot, over the open end of the drain pipe. Then wrapped a layer of duct tape to keep it in place. No more septic smell. I did have a water smell problem that ended up being antifreeze held up into the washing machine plumbing provisions. It would stay up there until I traversed some certain combination of turns and hills, maybe requiring 1,000 miles of travel. When it decided to travel down into the water heater it would produce the sulfur smell. Now I make sure I also purge the antifreeze at those valves when putting water back into the coach. No problem since.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #6

We stayed at a campground in Saint Augustine, Florida and anyone that has been there, knows about the drinking water! The sulphur smell stayed in the motorhome water system for months after we left! Next time I'm filling the water tank before I visit there again!
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #7

Most of our RVing is relatively short-term - several days or so, and we can carry enough water from home to see us thru - and prefer our local water in regards to taste/smell anyway.

For longer jaunts, we are always sure to use one of the reasonably priced in-line water filter/purifier units to supply the RV - often, if you take time to run a bucket of water from some CG's water supply, you'd be amazed and shocked to see what comes out!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote