Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 05:37 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Smoky Mountain RV parks

Going to head to South Florida from Chicago in the next week. We would like to spend a few days (never have) in the Smoky Mountains & don't want to throw a dart to choose a RV park for a Big Rig so looking for a little help to choose one not too far off the path of the road trip South if possible.
Thanks, Jack
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 07:10 PM   #2

What is your planned routing? I assume it is I 65S to I 64E to I 75S. If that is correct, look into Townsend TN which is South of Knoxville and near Pigeon Forge and the Great Smoky mountains national park.
https://www.campgroundreviews.com/re...essee/townsend
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:32 PM   #3

We just had a very pleasant 4 day stay at Sun Outdoors Sevierville Pigeon Forge. Nice park. Very good location.

This was our first trip to the area (not counting my camping visit with my parents summer 1970 at age 15!). The whole area was very busy…and this was not a bad thing for us. I have never seen this many RVs, cars and people. It may be business as usual for Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg. I was told that Tennessee schools were out on “fall break”. The only thing I could relate to it was like being at Six Flags or on the beach at Port Aransas TX on July 4…only with more cars, RVs and people. I have no idea if this is normal or if it was due to the kids being out of school.

Another observation we made is that there are LOTS of RV parks in the area, and based on our drive-by observation - they all look pretty good! We did not see a dump. This is probably a reflection of the market and the high numbers of RVs we observed in the area.

I also need to qualify my opinions based on this was our first trip out since COVID (Dec 2019 was our last)…so I may be observing the “new reality” with so many RVs out there.
MikenDebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:59 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
If you want to stay just off I 75, Yarberry Campground Lenoir City, TN is a good option. You'll be 45 minutes or so from the National Park, but assuming you have a toad, it is easy access. If you want to be close to the National Park, Big Meadows or the KOA both in Townsend are good options. There are plenty of other options as well.

Depending on your interests, the Museum of Appalachia in Clinton, TN (just off I75 north of Knoxville) will give you a good taste of life in East TN in the 1800's and early 20th century . Cades Cove in the National Park also has a mountain community that was active when the Park was created in the 30's. There are also several hiking trails - like Abram's Falls - off the Cades Cove loop. There is also no utilities RV park in the Park near Cades Cove. Lived in Knoxville for 15 years and family has roots back to the 1830's in the foothills of east TN.

If you go to the National Park via Townsend, you can travel though the park to Gatlinburg. Shops etc. Plenty of things to see in Knoxville as well.

Tags
rv park