Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #1

So, are we driving too slow?

so on youtude i have a few subscriptions and some times i find a few videos i wish i could post here

today i fond this and started to think where do RVs come in to play as we do slow alot of drivers down

when you think about it even big trucks dont slow down any more and just about any one gos flying past us

NO no no i am not saying drive faster .. i just wounder where we come in to play in all this
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #2

Not necessarily faster, but at leas drive the posted limit.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Interesting video. It would seem the safest driving occurs when you "go with the flow"... Thanks for posting!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Driving speed should be based on conditions at the time without exceeding the posted speed limit.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
so, are we driving too slow?

The posted speed limit is very often an arbitrary number chosen for political or revenue purposes. Highway design engineers use the 85th percentile speed as the target benchmark, and recommend almost universally that the speed limit be posted at +/- 5mph of this speed.

Research has shown that drivers will drive at whatever speed is comfortable for them on any particular road, regardless of posted limits, and most of the herd will be at about the same speed, whatever that
may be. A differential of about 15mph is where things start to get dangerous.

What this means- embarrassingly for many-- is that if you are adhering to 55-60 for legal reasons while the ambient traffic flow on this particular highway is running at 75 or so, then YOU are the anomaly, YOU are the dangerous one. Just bumping it up to 65 in such a case would smooth things out for everyone.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
when you think about it even big trucks dont slow down any more and just about any one gos flying past us

[
Difference in objectives
Time is money to professional truck drivers.
Their fuel costs do not matter as much as how fast they can cover miles.
I fly unltralights, and several years ago, a friend I fly with, took off at the same time, toward the same destination, about 25 miles away, he beat me, and was waiting on me when I got there, Mine was actually faster than his, when I wanted to go faster, but, I was in no hurry, never am.
He commented on how much he beat me there by, and I commented, I enjoy flying, so I go flying to fly, not hurry up and get there stand on the ground..
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I do my best not to hold people up unnecessarily but if I am going close to the posted limit, I don't really care too much if someone else is upset. There is no person out their that can tell you to break the law. If the limit is 60, I am doing 60 and they want to do 75, well that is their business but I am not going to up my speed just so they can shave a few minutes off their drive time. I will do my best to get out their way, making sure I am in slow lanes or what have you but some folks are just dangerous in their haste and in their attitudes and I have no desire to partake in their games.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
I drive 60,000 miles a year as part of my job, I can attest that someone going more than 10MPH below the limit is a great danger especially if they're not in the right lane. Someone is going to misjudge the closing rate, suddenly change lanes to avoid hitting them, then will potentially collide with another car. I see it regularly.

Personally, I drive the limit. 70MPH won't throw the tread slap off my tires any faster than 65MPH despite what you may read. That gives me a differential of usually 5-10MPH compared to my travel mates.

I think the minimum speed needs to change. 45MPH (The Georgia standard minimum) is simply too slow but I see folks going about that speed on a fairly regular basis. 10MPH below the posted limit would be far safer overall I believe.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I drive 60,000 miles a year as part of my job, I can attest that someone going more than 10MPH below the limit is a great danger especially if they're not in the right lane. Someone is going to misjudge the closing rate, suddenly change lanes to avoid hitting them, then will potentially collide with another car. I see it regularly.

Personally, I drive the limit. 70MPH won't throw the tread slap off my tires any faster than 65MPH despite what you may read. That gives me a differential of usually 5-10MPH compared to my travel mates.

I think the minimum speed needs to change. 45MPH (The Georgia standard minimum) is simply too slow but I see folks going about that speed on a fairly regular basis. 10MPH below the posted limit would be far safer overall I believe.

I agree with you somewhat, look at west Texas were the speed limit on I-10 is 80/85 MPH, my MH will not go that fast. I tend to drive 55-60 MPH but stay in the right lane and try to drive when traffic is no too heavy. Here in AZ there are speed limits of 75 MPH and I will only go 60ish, when a semi passes me going any faster I just don't like it and don't feel safe even with the front and rear suspension upgrades. On a side note the th400 does not like to spin that fast anyways, it is happy at 60 MPH or less temp wise..
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #10

Any one that drives much at all already knows what the video is saying. I have always said, "It is not speed that kills, it's the difference in speed that kills." That said, I drive a lot slower in my sixty's than I did in my thirty's. But driving on interstates, if I am coming upon a slower vehicle and see someone coming up on my rear, I will do not cut them off, I wait and pull into the left lane behind them. Makes them a lot happier and both of us a lot safer!

The favorite quote I like from my partner was going into Sacramento near rush hour. She said, "...slow down, the cars are going around you way too fast!" She laughs about it now, but was serious when she said it!

H

PS: The posted limit is not the speed you are supposed to drive, it's the fastest you should drive. A lot of conditions dictate the speed you should drive. After all, how many drive 45 when they see a "Minimum Speed 45" sign?

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
I agree with you somewhat, look at west Texas were the speed limit on I-10 is 80/85 MPH, my MH will not go that fast. I tend to drive 55-60 MPH but stay in the right lane and try to drive when traffic is no too heavy. Here in AZ there are speed limits of 75 MPH and I will only go 60ish, when a semi passes me going any faster I just don't like it and don't feel safe even with the front and rear suspension upgrades. On a side note the th400 does not like to spin that fast anyways, it is happy at 60 MPH or less temp wise..
I didn't think about the big limits out there, in the SE most I see is 70. You won't see me going faster than 70, not for long at least.

She'll go faster, the big Dodge doesn't quit pulling, but I start thinking about swervability and don't like the thought of hanging on to all that at speed.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I drive 60 MPH on all 4-lane roads, including interstates, and 55-60 on 2-lane depending on road conditions.

I stay in the right lane except to move left one lane to let traffic merge.

That's what I'm comfortable with and I'm sticking to it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
I didn't think about the big limits out there, in the SE most I see is 70. You won't see me going faster than 70, not for long at least.

She'll go faster, the big Dodge doesn't quit pulling, but I start thinking about swervability and don't like the thought of hanging on to all that at speed.

Our average speed in the mh is 63-65 mph and is contingent on the posted speed limit at the time. On some occasions it may go over slightly if passing another slower vehicle or going down a steep hill. I will not drive at noticeably higher speeds in a 32000# + rv, putting my safety, my families safety and the safety of others just to appease some ones feeling of entitlement who chooses to drive a vehicle irrespective of what the posted limit is. And yes, I do drive in the right lane except when passing another vehicle.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #14

Most newer fleet trucks are governed at 60 to 65 mph. I usually set the cruise control at 67 mph (1500 rpm) and don't find myself holding up traffic. If I need to pass someone I'll speed up to get around then return to the right lane.