Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

Soft spots in floor

We have 2008 Damon Challenger 378. We have been full time RVing for 3+ years. Over the last year we have noticed 3 soft spots in different parts of the floor they are in the high traffic area. What would be the best way to bolster up the floor. I haven't found any water leaks that would cause the soft spots.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #2

Anything you do to repair/replace the subflooring is useless unless you first eliminate the source of the water leak. If it is from outside the coach, the SealTech leak detection system will find leak sources.
If the water leak is from your plumbing, an easy leak test is to run your water pump until it stops. Then time now long before it starts again _ without using any water-for anything.
Waste water plumbing is harder to test and locate leaks, but it can be wiped with a paper towel to locate any wet spots. Often PVC cement may be used to seal those leaks, after the area of pipe is dry.
Replacing sub-flooring is an expensive project, as everything in the coach is place atop it; replacing a section is easier if you know how much must be replaced, you might wind up finding the majority of sub-floor is rotten or moldy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:07 AM   #3

I do not have a water leak. I am trying to find a way to fix the soft spots. I only put the water comment in because someone would ask if I looked for water leaks.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Both our travel trailer and 5th wheel did what you describe. It can be really annoying if there is a squeak that goes along with it. I don't think there is much you can do to help. The floor is likely to be 5/8 plywood attached to the frame of the RV. There isn't any way to shore up from below and putting anything on top will change the height of the floor.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Purty much impossible to get soft spots without a water leak.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #6

unless you laid hardwood down and didn't get a good hold with the glue. which is what the previous owner did to mine
vol445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post
Purty much impossible to get soft spots without a water leak.
That's not my experience. The floor in most RVs and especially towables is only 5/8 ply or OSB. There are many reasons besides water intrusion that can cause a soft spot, especially in high traffic areas. The joists can be too far apart causing the floor to flex. The flexing gets worse with age. Also, the structural integrity of the plywood or OSB can be compromised by a single heavy blow such as someone jumping on it or repeated lighter blows. We had an issue at the bottom of the stairs on our 5th wheel because everyone going down the stairs put their foot on the same spot. After ten years the spot was definitely soft and gave when you came down on it.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
He said he's got 3 soft spots. You figure they're jumping around in there like a bunch of kangaroos?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:28 PM   #9

Again it is NOT a water problem and no we are not jumping around. The soft spots are in a area where it is high traffic. All 3 spots are about 4 ft apart. I am wondering if the plywood didn't get proper lamination / glue. I am looking for solutions to repair it.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
you could lay a 1/16" steel sheet down over them, or rip them up and replace them, or find a way to get at them from underneath to put support under them, or just cover them up with a new hardwood floor.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We have been in our coach full time now for about two years. In front of the sink I have developed a soft spot. No evidence of water leakage in that area. I am 250lbs. I stand there a lot.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you can reach the bottom side of the floor You could probably weld angle iron on the side of the frame cross-member or a beam between two cross members. That would firm it up, but it would still flex some because you can't really fasten the floor to the structural reinforcement. The 5/8 ply is not thick enough to put a decent size screw in it from the bottom and you can't use a bolt through the floor into the cross member. Well, you could, but it'd be ugly.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #13

There is a product made to pull sub-floor down tight against floor joists. I forget what they are called, any hardware store should know of them. That's assuming you have access under the soft spots and it is delamination of plywood.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #14

I had soft spots in the bedroom of my class C. I bought it used and prior to purchasing the unit, the dealer had rolled back the linoleum and installed another layer of plywood over the original sub floor. One solution, but your flooring and the location of the sub flooring in relation to your floor plan will determine the feasiblilty of this. When the soft spot reappeared, I tore up the subfloor down to the frame and had a professional install additional support beams and a new sub floor. The support beams in the floor do not line up with the walls in a motor home.
derosacamp is offline   Reply With Quote