Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Solar system value impact

Good evening!

We're looking into installing 600 watts of solar with an MPPT charge controller on our 40' Diesel pusher and are trying to account for all factors. One that we aren't finding much information on is the impact of solar on a motorhome's value.

For those of you who have been looking at 7 to 10 year old Diesel pushers on the used market, what value would you have placed on a 600 watt, professionally installed solar system, all other things being equal?

The value definitely isn't the reason we'd do the install, but we'd like to have an idea of the impact, if any at all.

Thank you in advance for your input and thoughts!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had solar on previous (600w) and current (1500w) coaches. I think hard to put a hard dollar value add at resale. But it will add desirability and differentiation - resulting in a faster sale at a better price. If selling privately - but if trading in to a dealer they will add little if any dollar value. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you, Vsheets!

That aligns with my thought on it, as well.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You put solar on an RV for how *you* want to use it and how it fits into your ideas about how you want your RV lifestyle to work for you, not because it will raise the resale value of the RV.

The resale value of everything I own is instantly slashed in half the moment I drive it off, turn it on, or open it's box. I don't buy stuff to try to sell it later, I buy it because it will bring me something I value. I can't make others believe in the same values I have, or to value my stuff the same way I do, so I stopped trying.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
You put solar on an RV for how *you* want to use it and how it fits into your ideas about how you want your RV lifestyle to work for you, not because it will raise the resale value of the RV.
Thank you for the reply!

As mentioned in the original post, we're not considering it as a way to raise resale and are just researching what, if any impact it has, especially from the perspective of people who have been looking at 7 to 10 year-old DPs recently.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #6

Solar PV is a scam. I spent a career making electricity and I can not think of a worse way of doing it. I have been saying this for many years and no one has provided a business plan to prove me wrong. Not one life cycle analysis says it is a good environmental choice.

Solar PV is a status symbol. Nothing wrong with that. I have owned many Corollas but not one BMW, Lexas, Audi ect because my goad was transportation not enriching a car salesman.

So does status symbols add to resale value in a MH? I do not know? Our last new car was a 2007 Corolla, my thought it was a luxury car because it had all the luxuries she wanted. I bought it new because the resale on used ones did not provide a bargin.

Since we are full time, having a big luxurious MH is important to us. When we were in the market for a bigger MH with a slide I did not consider a DP except that it was prudent to consider the option. We looked at two that were owned by the original owners. We bought the second one. It was windy that day in eastern Washington State like most days.

What a pleasure to drive. I love it, Worth every penny of the extra cost.

So if charging your batteries with solar brings you pleasure, go for it.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Solar PV is a scam.
Has anyone ever told you that you're a little opinionated? ;-)

Solar, if one can afford it, is a nice, quiet, fume free way to enjoy being away from shore power. Anyone that tries to make it sound like "free, totally clean, environmentally friendly without any guilt" energy is, to some degree or another, fooling themselves.

It's just too bad that for all you wrote, you really didn't answer the question.

Thank you for making electricity though. I sure appreciate being able to just plug stuff in and have power there whenever I want it.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Has anyone ever told you that you're a little opinionated? ;-)

Solar, if one can afford it, is a nice, quiet, fume free way to enjoy being away from shore power. Anyone that tries to make it sound like "free, totally clean, environmentally friendly without any guilt" energy is, to some degree or another, fooling themselves.

It's just too bad that for all you wrote, you really didn't answer the question.

Thank you for making electricity though. I sure appreciate being able to just plug stuff in and have power there whenever I want it.
Bravo!
Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Solar PV is a scam. I spent a career making electricity and I can not think of a worse way of doing it. I have been saying this for many years and no one has provided a business plan to prove me wrong. Not one life cycle analysis says it is a good environmental choice.

Solar PV is a status symbol. Nothing wrong with that. I have owned many Corollas but not one BMW, Lexas, Audi ect because my goad was transportation not enriching a car salesman.

So does status symbols add to resale value in a MH? I do not know? Our last new car was a 2007 Corolla, my thought it was a luxury car because it had all the luxuries she wanted. I bought it new because the resale on used ones did not provide a bargin.

Since we are full time, having a big luxurious MH is important to us. When we were in the market for a bigger MH with a slide I did not consider a DP except that it was prudent to consider the option. We looked at two that were owned by the original owners. We bought the second one. It was windy that day in eastern Washington State like most days.

What a pleasure to drive. I love it, Worth every penny of the extra cost.

So if charging your batteries with solar brings you pleasure, go for it.
"Scam"? We've been here before with your scam statement. I've had a grid tied PV system on my sticks and Bricks for nearly five years. We have paid no electric bill since it was turned on. My capital cost is now at the break even point. Scam? Give me more scams like this one...

As for a RV PV system. I've had systems on my previous (600w) and current (1500w) coach. They can't be dollar cost justified like the system on my Sticks and Bricks. But that's not or never been the goal - its the reduction of generator run time with its accompanying noise and vibration. But again - not a "scam" by any means.

IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #10

"Solar PV is a status symbol"

Some folks think that driving a DP is a status symbol, too, when a much more prudent and less wasteful way of living will do (I'm not one of them).

Pot - Kettle

To each his own.

I like the idea of generating what little electricity I need without having to use a loud generator, when I'm out in the middle of nowhere, enjoying the peace and quiet. Away from people who are seemingly VERY opinionated. The capability extends time where I am not reliant on amenities.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Solar PV is a scam. I spent a career making electricity and I can not think of a worse way of doing it.
wow, that is a strong statement!

i myself had been an engineer prior for 30+ years to retirement. i have been on this board for about 7 years and i have never read anyone saying pv is a scam. well i guess i learned something new today.

i have 2750w solar on my rooftop flat mounted. it provides power for my plugin car, one of the a/c's, cooking, lighting, entertainment... you name it. i've never intended to have it as a status symbol on this site, or any site, as i don't need to, but for a practical usage.

since you are quite a character with a strong opinion, if you are still in doubt, you may read this.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:23 AM   #12

Solar on an RV when boondocking may be the difference between packing up and going to town for fuel vs. staying put and enjoying being away from it all. No other option keeps the lights, and the electronics running without burning fuel.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceNinja View Post
. One that we aren't finding much information on is the impact of solar on a motorhome's value.
I don't think it adds any value to most buyers. I sold a 40' coach a couple of years ago with 760 watts of solar and a Morningstar Tristar MPPT controller. There wasn't a single prospective buyer that cared about it.

I took the entire solar system off and put it on my current coach, it didn't make a bit of difference to the buyer.

Solar and more batteries are a great addition to a camper that is used without shore power but the average buyer is ignorant on that subject, IMHO. For clarification, most folks on these forums are not the average buyer!

I see solar on the North facing roof of stick houses and get some humor from that.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I don't think it adds any value to most buyers. I sold a 40' coach a couple of years ago with 760 watts of solar and a Morningstar Tristar MPPT controller. There wasn't a single prospective buyer that cared about it.

I took the entire solar system off and put it on my current coach, it didn't make a bit of difference to the buyer.
Were they first time RV buyers, or seasoned RV'ers? That is often going to make a difference !

Tags
solar