Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #1

Solenoid

Hi
Would anyone out there be able to tell me where the pump relay control wire goes on the selonid. If anyone has a picture I would very much like to see it or if there is a diagram.

Thank you for your time............Darrel
Darrel mille is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What pump? Water pump or something else. Jim
Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Hi, are you talking about the solenoid on the HWH leveler jacks ? If so I am in middle of solving my problem.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #4

1994 Newmar Motorhome Continous solinode

Hello
I am looking for some information on how to hook up a continous solinode in my RV , I have 1 motor battery and 2 house batteries and I would like to know to hook them up ,The person before me had disconnected a few wires and I do not want to make a mistake when I hook them up ,Any information is appreciated ,even a drawing would really be great
I thank you
Darrel
Darrel mille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #5

Do you need a solenoid to charge the house bank while you are driving?

Joe
jofo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Simple answer, run a cable from the chassis battery + post to the solenoid then from the solenoid to the + post on one of the house batteries. Run a wire from one of the fuses in the fuse block that has power when the engine is running to the small terminal on the solenoid.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

That last post would combine the batteries when ever the key was on. That may not be a good thing if the house batteries are flat at the time. My coach picks up a 6 volt signal from the alternator after the engine has started, then combines the two banks. Better plan all around. Joe
Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The solenoid will have 2 large posts, 1 for chassis batt and 1 for the coach. If the solenoid has 2 small control posts, 1 will come from the alternator circuit and another from the manual AUX Boost switch on the dash.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #9

Of all the solenoids I have worked with that had two control post, one was positive and one was negative. If they just had one than the steel case was grounded.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel mille View Post
Hello
I am looking for some information on how to hook up a continous solinode in my RV , I have 1 motor battery and 2 house batteries and I would like to know to hook them up ,The person before me had disconnected a few wires and I do not want to make a mistake when I hook them up ,Any information is appreciated ,even a drawing would really be great
I thank you
Darrel
welcome to irv2

you can update your signature block to include info about your rv.

check this resource for electrical info. there are diagrams too
if cruzers isn't enough help, post again. i have about 6 more references bookmarked.

Electrical Tutorial
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:19 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofo777 View Post
That last post would combine the batteries when ever the key was on. That may not be a good thing if the house batteries are flat at the time. My coach picks up a 6 volt signal from the alternator after the engine has started, then combines the two banks. Better plan all around. Joe

The purpose of tapping into a feed that is only live when the key is on is to prevent the starting battery from being drained. Generally the only time the key is on is when the engine is running. I've had no problems with this set up.....
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Darrel to irv2.
Take a look at this post should help you install a Bird System in your coach.
Use the Bird for gas coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
The purpose of tapping into a feed that is only live when the key is on is to prevent the starting battery from being drained. Generally the only time the key is on is when the engine is running. I've had no problems with this set up.....

So what happens if your house batteries are dead and you turn the key on? The dead bank could pull down your starting bank to where it won't turn over. I would rather put the solenoid on a separate switch and manually combine when I deemed it was necessary. Joe
Old 11-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofo777 View Post
So what happens if your house batteries are dead and you turn the key on? The dead bank could pull down your starting bank to where it won't turn over. I would rather put the solenoid on a separate switch and manually combine when I deemed it was necessary. Joe
BIRD systems typically auto-connect when the alternator output voltage reaches 13.3VDC and auto-disconnect when voltage drops to less than 12VDC, JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, newmar