Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #1

Spare parts

So the "what broke last" thread got me thinking.

What spare parts do you bring with you, if any, in the MH for long trips?
mikev63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Toolbox, duct tape, electrical ties, caulk and caulk gun, credit card and cell phone. I have a good extended warranty so if I cant do a "quick fix" I call someone.
gvenlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Other than a large assortment of glue, wire, screws, nuts, and bolts, about the only spare parts I carry are bulbs and fuel filters. Probably carry more tools than parts as most parts or an alternative can be found at RV or hardware stores. Have had to purchase things like wood clamps, saber saw, and an electric drill while on the road.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #4

In addition to the above, I always carry a complete oil change set up just in case I go over my mileage on a trip or somethingfrom the road were to hit the oil filter, it doesn't take up much room. I also carry extra oil for the generator, transmission, and leveling system.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my Monaco, I found over the years certain things break or wear out more often than they should, like cabinet latches or hinges. Those items I would buy extras and keep as spares. On our new coach, it's too early to tell. I did loose the wiper nut cover on our first trip with rain, so I ordered two of them so I would have a spare.

I carry extra fuel filters for the engine and generator, extra electrical plugs for the tow vehicle connections, and other items like wire, screws, silicone, duct tape, a couple rolls of emergency tape, air and water tubing, fuses, circuit breakers and other small fasteners.

I don't carry a lot of tools, only what can be used for repairs on the road. I always have a soldering gun, voltmeter and now even carry a pex tool crimper and extra pex fittings.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Most of the above plus lots of bungee calls & zip ties.

I also carry a mounted spare tire, I started doing this on a trip to Alaska and since I invested in it I keep carrying it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a whole list typed out, then Norton started a scan and wiped it all out!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry a spare tire for MH, Toad, Dolly. Belts and Hoses and the left-over fluids for MH. Figure if I have trouble and need to call someone having the part is 75% of the battle.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #9

shark bite fittings, few feet of pex hose, hose clamps, bulbs, oil and tranny, fuel filters, tie wraps, mechanix wire, tape, electrical wire with assortment of conectors, screws, nuts bolts, fan belt, engine oil, tranny oil, theres more. and a good assortment of tools. I carry lots of extra but it really doesn't take up much room.
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Like the others, I carry spare filters and "jury rig" stuff I can use to make temp repairs, plus fuses and some bulbs. I only carry stuff I need to tide me over until I can buy parts locally or order online if needed.

You can drive yourself nuts with spare parts - whatever you have with you won't be the part you need anyway (Murphy's Law). However, if you have a critical component that may be hard to find, it is perhaps worth while to carry a spare. For example, I have a circuit board that controls all 12v power distribution in my rig (it's a multiplex wiring system) and if that fails the rig is pretty much unlivable. No fridge, no a/c or heat (thermostat), no lighting, etc. Hard to patch around it too, so I'm seriously considering buying a spare even though it's a $300 part. Haven't done it yet, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #11

- Mounted spare tire.
- Generator control board.
- BCC Board.
- HWH solenoid.
- HWH springs.
- HWH control valve.
- Water pump.
- Warter heater electric element.
- Some other minor bits and pieces.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #12

Carry a spare engine accessories/fan belt. It yours breaks you are stranded, no limping to the nearest exit, or repair shop. a roll of "rescue tape"; which allows you to temporarily patch a coolant hose, top off the system with onboard water, and get to the nearest repair facility. Spare fuel filters in case you buy a load of watery fuel.
A roadside assistance program for other breakdowns.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote