Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post

I dumped AAA RV after that.
my understanding is that aaa, at least in the west, uses the commercial tire service provider les schwab.
aaa told me to always ask for a commercial tire provider if i ever have to call for service.
that is why i switched to aaa from good sam road service.
here are pics of my spare tire installation:
the compartment is kinda messy, but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00489.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	4728   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00490.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	4729  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00491.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	4730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00492.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	4731  

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #30

In Florida and many other states they do not have a commercial provider on contract. They may call one for you from the phone directory such as Les Schwab or Eastern Tire and Battery however you are on your own to have the required payment on hand at the time of service which many times will be cash only. Not very good if you are on the side of the road on a Sunday afternoon.

Fortunately my coach came factory equipped with a spare tire carrier under the rear of the coach with a fully mounted spare in it. Unfortunately I had AAA that did not live up to their advertising on their RV Service.

Once burned (almost literally in my case) twice shy as the expression goes.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
rather have a spare with me at all times then trying to fine one although most "travel plazas" who have garage service do carry many sizes.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
In Florida and many other states they do not have a commercial provider on contract. They may call one for you from the phone directory such as Les Schwab or Eastern Tire and Battery however you are on your own to have the required payment on hand at the time of service which many times will be cash only. Not very good if you are on the side of the road on a Sunday afternoon.

Fortunately my coach came factory equipped with a spare tire carrier under the rear of the coach with a fully mounted spare in it. Unfortunately I had AAA that did not live up to their advertising on their RV Service.

Once burned (almost literally in my case) twice shy as the expression goes.
i would like to see a picture of your spare tire installation under your moho.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i would like to see a picture of your spare tire installation under your moho.
Dan,

Nothing custom on mine just the standard spare tire holder included with the 2001 35U Adventurers on the Ford chassis.

I suppose that on the Workhorse the frame rails may be too close together or the fuel tank too far back to allow for one like mine even though the brochure for the 2001 Adventurer lists the spare tire as standard equipment on all models. Is yours there but empty or possibly a prior owner had it removed?

You may be able to order a replacement rack from Winnebago if your is missing.

I don't have a picture and it will be some time befrore I can take one, post it, etc however most major RV dealers will have a Winnebago motor home in the 2000 +/- model year range with the factory rack on them that you can see and touch up close and personal.

Regards,
Old 07-24-2010, 06:51 AM   #34
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Luckily our MY2000 HR Vacationer came with a mounted spare. The spare (19.5") is in the same compartment as the propane tank. I noticed that after a few years that HR didn't include a spare on the gas models.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Luckily our MY2000 HR Vacationer came with a mounted spare. The spare (19.5") is in the same compartment as the propane tank. I noticed that after a few years that HR didn't include a spare on the gas models.
That seems to have ended when the 22" tire became the norm.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Dan,

Nothing custom on mine just the standard spare tire holder included with the 2001 35U Adventurers on the Ford chassis.

I suppose that on the Workhorse the frame rails may be too close together or the fuel tank too far back to allow for one like mine even though the brochure for the 2001 Adventurer lists the spare tire as standard equipment on all models. Is yours there but empty or possibly a prior owner had it removed?

You may be able to order a replacement rack from Winnebago if your is missing.
I don't have a picture and it will be some time befrore I can take one, post it, etc however most major RV dealers will have a Winnebago motor home in the 2000 +/- model year range with the factory rack on them that you can see and touch up close and personal.

Regards,
thanks for your reply.
you are correct in that my frame rails are too close together for a mounted 19.5 spare tire to fit between them. the gas tank is too far back also. i was thinking about the possibility of mounting the spare below the frame rails.
then i was going to squash an unmounted spare with a ratchet strap to make it fit between the frame rails. i was going to use an old inner tube to keep the tire relatively clean inside. there was not enough room behind the gas tank.
so, i mounted my unmounted spare tire in the cargo bay. i use the inside of the tire for tool and parts storage.
when i first bought my moho in 2006, i found winnebagoparts.com and have ordered many parts from them. they do not have a spare tire carrier in their 250 pg catalog.

Winnebago Parts - Parts for all Winnebago motorhome makes, models, and years, including Itasca, Rialta, Eurovan - Specializing in the Renault based Winnebago LeSharo, Phasar, and Centauri Motorhomes
Old 07-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #37

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
I have a spare on the Coachmen mounted on the back of the coach. I bought the coach two months ago, and I am hoping that I am old and retired before I have to change it. Hope the picture shows the mount.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #38

I was thinking something like these:

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/unhimosptica.html

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-31006-Spare-Mount/dp/B0009YIE1O/ref=pd_sbs_auto_1
Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #39

The first one won't work with a 22.5" tire...weight limit is 100lbs, and a 22.5 is well over that I think.
Second link doesn't specify a max weight, but looking at it I doubt it's up to the task.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am a long time 5th wheeler and trailer man and I just could not get used to not having a spare. A blowout on a 5th may cost you 45 minutes of downtime. So when I got this MH it really bothered me not having a spare.

Then it happened. The infamous zipper Michelin blowout. Coachnet could not find anyone with the 235/80R/22.5 tires in the Jackson area. Not even a used one. Even though retired I was on a schedule to bring my grandaughter to Birmingham. The previous owner must have had a similiar problem because he put 255/70s on the front. So I decided to go with 4 new 255s on the back and I ordered one extra for a spare. The 255s are a common tire you can get most anywhere. Now I feel better but I am searching for a used rim. I want a full spare but I can understand why people don't want to mess with it.

I also carry a 30mm socket with extensions and a 4 foot long torque wrench capable of the 500ft/lb torque. Will keep Coachnet since they got me out a pinch but if they can't find anyone I don't plan on being stranded for just a tire...anywhere. Besides, Coachnet said that more MH owers are starting to carry spares. Your on your way in few hours and a couple of cups of coffee.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think my new tires are 89lbs without rim so you are probably looking at 200lb for a tire rack
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
The 255s are a common tire you can get most anywhere.
Not sure about that statement. Here in our area, the largest Michelin and truck tire dealer in town had to order my 255R80's when I needed a couple new ones this spring. If they are not in stock in a large metro area, would hate to be out in the boonies somewhere and rely on someone having one. I will always carry a spare.......don't want to count on one being available.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote