Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #1

Smile Spare tire

I am new to the MH scene but hauled 5th wheels for 12 years. Have not seen any mention of spare tires. Do you folks carry them and where do you put them. I have a 2007 Coachmen Pathfinder, freightliner chassis and by my measurements I could carry a 255x80x22.5 in the middle above the storage. I would have never left home without a spare on my 5ers.
jetfromtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfromtn View Post
I am new to the MH scene but hauled 5th wheels for 12 years. Have not seen any mention of spare tires. Do you folks carry them and where do you put them. I have a 2007 Coachmen Pathfinder, freightliner chassis and by my measurements I could carry a 255x80x22.5 in the middle above the storage. I would have never left home without a spare on my 5ers.
I want to carry a spare and I have the same size that you mention. Other owners told me that it may not fit in my bays. I wanted to try it anyway, but no tire dealer around here keeps them in stock. When I asked if I could order one and try it they say that when it comes in IT IS MINE. Not very helpful. I can't find anyone that stocks them...they all have to be ordered. I would settle for an older used tire, but they can't be found. I did find a used one on E-bay, but the shipping was VERY expensive and the final price was more than the tire dealers! Joe
Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

This topic alway spurs a lot of debate. A spare didn't come with my coach and I don't want to give up any storage space to carry one. I won't attempt to change it myself anyway and aren't our front and rear wheels different? Not sure how that would work.

For me, good road service is the solution.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Not In Stock...

The only reason that I would like a spare tire is because my tire
(size & brand) is not readily available. It has to be ordered. I'm afraid of getting stuck somewhere with a flat, waiting for the tire to come in. Some other owner reported waiting several days for a tire like mine. I wouldn't attempt to change it myself. I have CoachNet for that. Joe
Old 07-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
The only reason that I would like a spare tire is because my tire
(size & brand) is not readily available. It has to be ordered. I'm afraid of getting stuck somewhere with a flat, waiting for the tire to come in. Some other owner reported waiting several days for a tire like mine. I wouldn't attempt to change it myself. I have CoachNet for that. Joe
Gotcha... that makes sense. The only time I had a flat they found a tire locally but I should probably check on my size too so I know what to expect.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #6

Of course the shop that carries your size would need to be opened on the day you were stuck on the side of the road with a flat and near to your location.

I do carry a spare and the last time I had a flat I was very glad that I did as it could have made the difference between loosing the coach in a forest fire and getting out.

Even if you do not have a bin or under coach rack to store a spare on your rig you can get or have made up a hitch mounted carrier to hold a spare.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Man Neil, that was a bad day... having a flat in the middle of a forest fire! I sure hope it got better.

So you can change the tire yourself or did you need to find an open tire service?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #8

Talking

Most don't carry spares due to size and weight constraints, plus the tools and strenght needed to manhandle a truck tire.

I would think a 22.5 inch mounted spare would take up a considerable chunk of most storage bay's max weight recommendation for other than pass thru storage compartments. I think mine have a 450 pound limit.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a spare which is in a tire rack above the propane tank. Looking at it, I believe it was part of the coach (Damon) when built. I am fairly young and in decent shape, but I do not believe I would attempt to change it unless a fire was inbound...
kenyonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know people who have carried an unmounted tire for their trip to Alaska. I would never think of carrying or changing a mounted spare.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I was near a forest fire with a flat, I just pick up the phone and increase my insurance coverage.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We were 'stuck' in the Dakotas once, no correct sized tire available for our rig. It took most of a week to get one to a Rapid City dealer. I now carry an unmounted spare on a carrier I purchased that utilizes the hitch receiver for mounting (my toad hitch slides into the tire carrier). Unfortunately, the place seems to be out of business now.

I agree, I won't be changing any tires on my rig, I'll call road service, but if the local dealer does not have a replacement, I do. Even a mobile service rig would be able to mount my tire on an undamaged wheel. An hour or two sure beats a week!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #13

I carry an unmounted tire in the pickup (toad) and a full set of tire tools. I have the ability and experience to break down and change a tire on the road. We've had a flat in Glennallen, AK, and Coach Net sent a guy from the Willow area to Anchorage to get a tire, then to us to change it. A 420 mile, 8 hour round trip. They paid over $600 for the road call. New tire (Bridgestone) was the same size as the Michelin, but not the same brand. A Michelin would have to have been flown in from the lower 48. We were VERY lucky in that we were within cell range when we had a problem. 10 miles earlier and we would have been unhooking the toad. Total time for the change was about 36 hours and then an additional overnight (2 total), so we didn't have to start out again in the evening.

I still have Coach Net, but I still carry the tire and tools too.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have new 22.5s all around and don't carry a spare. I do however have coach net if I were to have a problem. It makes no difference how long it takes to get a tire, I"M RETIRED !! and haven't had an appointment in seven years. I have no place to go and a long time to get there. The only thing I know for sure is when the fat paper arrives it must be Sunday !! Wish you all are as lucky as I am.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote