Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Spare Tires

Over the years I have included my opinion's about many things including spare tires for our 22.5" wheels many of our Diesel Pushers use. Then I find myself traveling in the western states. Several of the roads that we have been on are located where even our cell phones cannot find us! I remember seeing a sign about Route 50 being the loneliest road in the world(or something like that) Then I had a fellow RV'R ask me if I carried a weapon and mentioned being broken down in a lonely place while his DW "toaded" out for help. Made me start to wonder about carrying an un-mounted spare, Just in case the nearest tow truck doesn't happen to have that size on hand.
I have no room in the basement, nor do I have room to mount one underneath. I do not have an air compressor that is large enuf to run a tool with enuf muscle to break the lugs free!
Am I at a place with no right answer? Can I have a tire mounted on a special built hitch mount that won't interfere with my Toad? Should I start thinking about an enclosed trailer that will allow me to haul along the "House"?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No tools needed. ERS, don't leave home without it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Anyone who says ERS and a credit card is all you need is fooling themselves!

We have a good friend that owns a 2006 Monaco Knight. Two weekends ago he was returning home to Los Angeles when he blew a front tire on the I-5 Grapevine, the northern edge of Los Angeles County. It was Sunday morning and he couldn't find a 275/70 -22.5 anywhere. He finally found a dealer that brought one up from Santa Clarita (30 miles away) on Monday evening.

Twice when I bought new tires for mine (275/70 - 22.5) they had to be ordered. This was in Los Angeles County. It seems some smaller towns get them faster, but if somewhere like Los Angeles County takes a day, other places may take more.

So you blow a tire on a freeway and limp off the off ramp into a parking lot and find a place to stop. You get lucky and the ERS company said they can get someone out in about six hours with a tire your size. Then you start to look around and realize that you found the parking lot in the middle of the ghetto. But, you'll be okay because you can point your ERS card at the robbery suspects.

Not all ERS responses are going to be extended, but I'm not willing to take that chance. I carried a used spare that match my coach up until about a week ago, We are taking a west coast to east coast trip next month and I decided to buy a brand new Hankook that matches my front tires as a spare. It was $350.00 OTD and well worth the expense. I also have Coach Net and will have them do the repair. My wait will only be for someone who can change a tire. I could if I had to, but then would have to see my chiropractor.

Larry, double check your chassis. My sister has an Itasca Meridian and the Freightliner chassis has an area in the middle of the frame, mid coach, where a mounted spare fits.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I thought I had no room in the storage bays, but got an unmounted tire in my large bay with surprising ease ...put stuff inside it to make up much of the space. Just got back from Canada/Alaska where we were many times miles from a working phone ...had a mechanical breakdown 300 miles from cell service, probably nearly 1000 miles from anyone ERS would have sent. 22 RVs and only tire problems were on fifth wheels.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most Class A's with 22.5's do not have spares. Blow outs are rare same as other tire troubles or breakdowns of any sort. Preventative maintenance and tire care makes it more rare so like most folks I just handle situations when and if they come as to my tires. I don't expect that a blow out would be a convenient thing and if I am stranded, well I am at home at least. Sure things can happen but there are sharks in the sea and snakes in the grass, I still swim and walk at will pretty much.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I carry a fully mounted spare tire. 275X70X22.5 I can and have changed five out of six tires on my coach. ERS is great when they can be contacted and when they have the tire one needs. Since 1978, I've always had a mounted spare tire with the coach. I will continue to do so.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #7

" Can I have a tire mounted on a special built hitch mount that won't interfere with my Toad?" I see no reason why not. It is not unusual to see a motorcycle mounted above the hitch that is towing a car. I have seen a golf-cart hauled there, on what had to be a special hitch platform.
In fact, yours is a very good idea, mind if I use it? One feature I consider a must will be a method to keep water and dirt out of it, and protect it from sunshine. Something like an old Continental kit spare tire cover would look good and protect the tire.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #8

Luckiest Dreamer,
The spare tire debate has happened on this and other RV forums since time began. And, as you have already read, there's lots of points of view. The value of carrying a spare, either just a tire or, a completely mounted unit, gives many, (just how many, who knows) a sense of insurance of being able to be back on the road, in a reasonable amount of time.

A few questions need to be answered here.
1. Do you feel the need to carry one (either a tire or, a complete unit)
2. Do you have the space to carry one " " " " " " "
3. If no space, then are you willing to create space for one?
4. Do you feel that ERS will be sufficient if and when needed?
5. Do you feel you could at least do some of the work (tools etc. needed)?

Well, there's probably more to ask and answer. I've had to change a flat or blowout, three times in our RVing career. Twice on the I-5 Freeway (carried a spare both times, one- a 16" on a Class C Ford, the other, a 19.5" on a Fleetwood Bounder Class A) and the last time, in Flaming Gorge area, at a campground.

It's not fun but, I was able to do it, and get back on the road in a short span of time.

But, for the Diesel folks out here, including us now, the 22.5" tire and wheel, is quite a bit larger and, seriously heavy. On our present coach, we have the Michelin XRV 255 80R 22.5 tires. The alloy wheels with that tire are 142 lbs. each. The steel ones (inside dual) are 167 lbs. each. So, just a for warning here, that's serious weight in an awkward situation.

Now, I've not weighed just the tire but, since the internet has all the information on the planet, I suppose I could find just the weight of that tire or, any other size RV tire.

Now, as for breaking the lug nuts loose. Well, I debate about that for a while. Long story short, on the advice from a few "do it yourselfers" out there, here's what I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torque-Multiplier-Heavy-Duty-Lug-Wrench-Replaces-1-Air-Impact-WARRANTY/330995368067?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid% 3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27% 26meid%3D829087349491492044%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3 D1011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D190885688546%26

Without a doubt, that's the best, easiest tool for breaking free, 10, 33mm lug nuts, torqued on to 450 lbs. With that tool, I can sit on ground or what ever small stool you might carry with you, and with one arm, break all those lug nuts free. It's geared 1:78. That's some serious gear reduction. It comes with (4) sockets and a crank handle and nice little case.

But, all this is dependent on your willingness to do that sort of work. Now, the OP asked about a "hitch mounted" spare tire carrier. Well Sir, it's been done for years. You don't see it very much on the big Diesel rigs but, many smaller Class As, and Cs. do it frequently. Can a hitch mounted unit support a 22.5", sure it can. Can it be designed to carry the tire and still pull a toad, sure it can. All that's needed is a little design input for your particular rig.

Again, the weight factor must be considered. A 16" tire and wheel, used commonly on the Class Cs is not too bad. A 19.5" tire and wheel hovers in the 60-75 lb. range. A 255 80 22.5 is, as stated, in steel, around 167 lbs. each. So, the question is, even if you get a hitch mounted carrier all setup, can you get the tire and wheel up there and mount it? Can you get it down without killing yourself and then handle it for placing it in position on the hub?

Lots of questions. I do it at home. I've got a controlled environment, flat, level, nice and clean concrete to work on. And, I've got this tool to do all the man-handling of either the aluminum one or the steel one:

Large Capacity Tire Wheel Dolly FOR 36" TO 48" Truck Tractor Trailer Tires | eBay

That tool, handles those 167 lbs. tires and wheels with great ease. I just balance the tops of tires and the bottom carries all the weight.

So, all you have to do is, determine all of the above, and will it work for you? Or, just rely on ERS and or, even have cell phone service if and when you break down.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Someone once made a hitch that held a spare. I was carrying a unmount spare, I carry it in the bed of my pick-up toad. I have not used it lately. It's heavy and Im getting old.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #10

It's not fun messing with those spares, especially if you have to move them around while camping/traveling and more. I have no idea what the national average would be but, when ever one of us needs one, however infrequent it might be, it's better than gold. So, it's just a matter of what kind of value you place on having either just a tire, or a combo wheel and tire. If no place to store it, well, that's another matter.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #11

Our old motorhome came with a spare tire and wheel and we had to use it more than once. The new one didn't come with one so we purchased one and store it under the bed.

On our recent trip to Alaska (we're still on the way home) there were stretches of bad road hundreds of miles long in both Canada and Alaska without cell phone service. A road service and credit card would have been of little use since there was no way to contact them.

To facilitate changing a tire (should it be necessary) I purchased a torque multiplier and proper socket from Notrhern Tool. At least if problems did arize I could remove the old tire, take it and the new tire in our toad to the nearest town and have it changed. The process may be time consuming and somewhat unpleasant but at least we wouldn't have had to make a trip to town and hope to find a road service and new tire.

Tags
tires