Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You don't happen to recall who the manufacturer was for the tires do you? Just curious.
Sorry, no. I have closely inspected thousands of tires over the years but wasn't checking for the name of the manufacturer. If I had to guess I would say they were made by the Lowest Bidder Tire Company.[emoji1783]
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
[QUOTE=Arch Hoagland;5555079]"Inflation gauges should be calibrated often.

I calibrate my tire pressure gauges and torque wrenches twice a year or when damage occurs, I have my own calibration equipment but if I didn't I would pay someone to do it. Poorly calibrated equipment is no better than a bat to thump tires or an adjustable wrench and a piece of pipe to tighten your lug nuts.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Sorry, no. I have closely inspected thousands of tires over the years but wasn't checking for the name of the manufacturer. If I had to guess I would say they were made by the Lowest Bidder Tire Company.[emoji1783]
[emoji40]

That would eliminate Michelin.........
Old 12-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We saw the Space Shuttle in Houston and it had Michelin tires on it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:12 PM   #19

We have probably 1000 gauges in plant. I have installed 100s or R&R for calibration. Even cheaper Bourdon-tube gauges are pretty accurate when used within range when newish. After they flex thousands of times like anything they wear. Calibratable gauges will be back on if re-zeroed . So if you have a true gauge make note of of zero when you get it and use it. Pegging gauges will throw off pretty quick, vibration destroys right quick very low pressure ones like 10" water column those are best replaced with Dyer Diaphragm gauge .
Anyway is everyone really adding or lowering 2 to 3 psi 6 to 8 tires every day the temp is different.
Speaking about tires like the title there is a Space shuttle tire a nearby child's museum .Not as big as you would think but bead is about 4" thick about 200lbs . My family will be like how can you look at that tire for 5 minutes every time we come here lol.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:30 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
We have probably 1000 gauges in plant. I have installed 100s or R&R for calibration. Even cheaper Bourdon-tube gauges are pretty accurate when used within range when newish. After they flex thousands of times like anything they wear. Calibratable gauges will be back on if re-zeroed . So if you have a true gauge make note of of zero when you get it and use it. Pegging gauges will throw off pretty quick, vibration destroys right quick very low pressure ones like 10" water column those are best replaced with Dyer Diaphragm gauge .
Anyway is everyone really adding or lowering 2 to 3 psi 6 to 8 tires every day the temp is different.
Speaking about tires like the title there is a Space shuttle tire a nearby child's museum .Not as big as you would think but bead is about 4" thick about 200lbs . My family will be like how can you look at that tire for 5 minutes every time we come here lol.
What kind of plant do you work in?

I set my pressure in late spring for the summer and reset it again in late fall for the winter. Never touch in between.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:19 AM   #21

Quote:
We saw the Space Shuttle in Houston and it had Michelin tires on it.

The F14 Tomcats main landing gear tires were made by Goodyear
readog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:22 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by readog View Post
The F14 Tomcats main landing gear tires were made by Goodyear
I wonder how much one of them would cost....
Old 12-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #23

Aluminium powder and pigments. Aluminium powder is in solid rocket engines,furnace bricks ,pressed metal parts ,heat transfer for electronic chips. Pigment auto paint metallics, silver or gold paints,powder coating metallics and inks, the stuff in an etch-a-sketch. Either can be in fireworks.
Quote:
What kind of plant do you work in?

I set my pressure in late spring for the summer and reset it again in late fall for the winter. Never touch in between.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:17 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Back down here on Earth.
If you have several gauges, test them against each other. If one is not near the others get rid of it. Otherwise replace gauges regularly.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #25

Commercial Member

RE Pressure gauge accuracy.

I have written a few times in my RV Tire Safety blog on this even included the results of "Gage Checks" I do at FMCA Int'l Conventions so we can see the results of digital vs stick vs dial gauges.

One post is specifically about the value of having your own "Master Gauge".

The 3 digital gauges I have been using for over 6 years have all remained at +/- 0.5 psi at a reference of 80 psi when checked against an ISO Certified Laboratory master Gauge so I am confident of their performance and accuracy. They cost less than $15 and proves that low or reasonable cost does not mean poor performance just as High cost is no guarantee of good accuracy.

Yes stick gauges seem to be the most likely to get off calibration the most as they get dirty or the stick gets minor scratches or "dings" that can effect the reading. Dial gauges can be hard to read as sometimes their markings are at larger then 1 psi increments. Hold the gauge at an angel and you get a different reading.

A good, reliable gauge is a good tool to have and use and as a tire engineer I would be pleased if I found people using gauges accurate to +/- 2% or better, so see if you can get and use a master gauge with that level accuracy.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:08 AM   #26

Antilock brake systems typically look at the speed of each wheel during braking. And releases the brake pressure on that wheel if it shows it is slowing down much faster than the rest (it's skidding). Has nothing to do with air pressure.

Air pressure does affect traction though. So, if the tires are super hard (smaller contact path and less compliant to the small changes in the road surface) then they will not have the same traction. But then the vehicle is lighter so will always change speed easier too (less momentum). But the antilock brakes will still function the same and do the best it can with the conditions at hand.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Speaking of tires. Before leaving upstate NY I blew a tire on my toad. Right front on Equinox. I put brand new tire in its place (same make / size of other 3) in Florida now and should replace other 3. Will get 3 same again but wonder where I should place the
tire that now has 2000 miles or so. Was thinking on the back. Any advice ?
thanks
Old 12-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #28

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeblack View Post
Speaking of tires. Before leaving upstate NY I blew a tire on my toad. Right front on Equinox. I put brand new tire in its place (same make / size of other 3) in Florida now and should replace other 3. Will get 3 same again but wonder where I should place the
tire that now has 2000 miles or so. Was thinking on the back. Any advice ?
thanks

The usual advice is to place the newer tires on the rear to prevent "oversteer" in the wet which could result in a loss of control.

Tags
tires