Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2020, 07:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The usual advice is to place the newer tires on the rear to prevent "oversteer" in the wet which could result in a loss of control.
Doesn't that depend on whether it front or rear wheel drive or AWD?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
like this?

I took a picture: https://www.nasa.gov/aeroresearch/re...e-basic-facts/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02-18 138.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	312364  
Old 12-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We saw the Space Shuttle in Houston and it had Michelin tires on it.
yep Michelin had a contract since beginning to provide the tires. you know they change them after just one flight. Michelin and labs at nasa got used one to do testing, destroyed
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:45 AM   #32

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Doesn't that depend on whether it front or rear wheel drive or AWD?

The idea is that with shallower tread and in wet conditions there is an increased possibility of losing traction. If you lose traction in the rear. no matter FWD or RWD or AWD decreased traction in the rear could lead to oversteer and the average driver is more likely to lose control in a skid with the rear of the car swinging out.

All this is theoretical. With only 2,000 miles on one tire I don't think it makes much difference but I said that new tires (more tread) on the rear is general practice.
Old 12-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The idea is that with shallower tread and in wet conditions there is an increased possibility of losing traction. If you lose traction in the rear. no matter FWD or RWD or AWD decreased traction in the rear could lead to oversteer and the average driver is more likely to lose control in a skid with the rear of the car swinging out.

All this is theoretical. With only 2,000 miles on one tire I don't think it makes much difference but I said that new tires (more tread) on the rear is general practice.
Personally I like oversteer better. But I have been sliding around in the snow and mud doing motocross, offroad trucks, side by sides my whole life so countersteer is just an automatic muscle function. But the normal uninvolved driver freezes up so understeer is the safer condition.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:17 AM   #34

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Personally I like oversteer better. But I have been sliding around in the snow and mud doing motocross, offroad trucks, side by sides my whole life so countersteer is just an automatic muscle function. But the normal uninvolved driver freezes up so understeer is the safer condition.

Yup, That's the concept.

With current car design the results of a frontal impact is much more "survivable" so if you lose control it is "safer" to go off head first than to spin out and hit rear end first. At least that's my understanding of the concept for the average "uninvolved" driver who is distracted by the radio, video screen and phone conversation.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #35

calibration of a tire gauge? hows that possible? maybe on the way over priced units.
as to anti lock brakes. might try learning to drive first. do not want to lock up your brakes? just do not use so much pedal..
worried about a slick road. slow down.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #36

Our plant used to make the Aluminum powder for solid rocket boosters . Later passed on bids we were using totes and drums, other plant was blowing powder into rail cars. More prestige and highest proven aerospace quality than profit. Later had to fast track product for the smaller rockets that separate boost sections and steer them away from the shuttle. Other plant botched the job some how.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
yep Michelin had a contract since beginning to provide the tires. you know they change them after just one flight. Michelin and labs at nasa got used one to do testing, destroyed
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You don't happen to recall who the manufacturer was for the tires do you? Just curious.
When I was a flight deck troubleshooter on the F4-B/N aircraft, the tire inflation pressures were 300# ashore and 500# aboard carriers. The tires were aircraft 22 ply rated Goodyear's.

The inflation rig mentioned was called a "stand-off". Its normal calibration cycle was 30 days.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:58 PM   #38

Jayco Owners Club
For decades we have purchased gauges from GH Meiser, the product name being "Accu-gage". There are many configuration options. I can send these back to the company and they will recalibrate them for a small fee. In the past, they have discounted the per-gauge fee if you send several at once. Worth it!!
https://www.ghmeiser.com
thenovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:19 PM   #39

What about TPMS ?
Old 12-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #40

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
This article is from an industry magazine. Points out some interesting things to consider:

Air pressires should be determined by load on the tires (this is important not just to improve handling)
Both under inflation and over inflation is bad for tires
Inflation gages should be calibrated often
Tire pressures for daul tires need to be the same

Our over the road trucks basically run fully loaded outbound and empty inbound. Obviously we do not adjust tire pressures.

Attachment 311097
Thanks World Cat25.
Good article, Calibrating and exact pressure in the Dualies. I didn't think it was that critical. Will be a lot more careful in the future.
All the best,
604-302-1300
Fourwinds93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:15 PM   #41

I recently replaced the tires on my DP at a large truck and fleet tire dealer. When I asked to what psi they would inflate the tires I was told "the max psi." I then requested he print me a copy of the manufacturer's tire pressure tables and showed him the front and dual psi based on weight. When I asked why they would inflate to max he responded "that's what we always do." He told me I was the first motor home customer he met who referred to a chart.
Airlifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:58 PM   #42

Why did you get that one as opposed to this one?
https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Infla.../dp/B07D3PVBJ4
Whammon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires