Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #1

Speedometer 3 mph Off

Another thread reminded me that the speedo in our 2017 Minnie Winnie (E-450 chassis) has been 3 mph fast since we took delivery. I didn't really notice at first, until I realized that the dash gauge reads consistently faster than my GPS speed. If I'm going 67 on GPS, it's right around 70 on dash. GPS reads 55, dash reads around 58, and so on.

I've watched it over the past few seasons, and it's consistent - always off by that much at any speed. I've even taken note when passing those automatic speed signs, and it's the same. Dash 3 mph faster.

Anyone else noticed this on their rig? Maybe Winnebago uses a slightly larger tire than Ford stock and didn't recalibrate?

I almost always use the GPS speed, so it's not really a problem. Just thought it was a bit strange. I'm assuming this is something you can't adjust yourself?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
All my vehicles, with the exception of my 17 Buick have speedo errors. All 3 are around 3 MPH. With modern computer controlled vehicles, some can be adjusted, by the dealer, in the shop, thru the vehicle computer.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:33 AM   #3

My 2016 Tiffin 32SA is off by 4-5 mph, If I indicate 70 I'm really doing about 65-66. Too bad it's not the electronic dash of 2015 and newer Ford vehicles, all kinds of parameters can be changed, including the speedo, at home by the owner.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #4
tcg

My speedometer and GPS never match and neither one ever shows the same speed as those portable radar signs they put out on the highway.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
US1

My Ford chassis speedo is off the same amount. Speedo reads 70, my GPS and my buddies GPS both read 67. I have the Forscan program that allows me to change the tire dia parameter to an exact value to correct the error.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:06 PM   #6

The problem with having a speedo read incorrectly on the HIGH side, as in it reads faster than you're actually traveling is, you rack up miles that you AREN'T actually driving. If you're cruising on down the road at ACTUALLY 70 MPH but, your speedo reads 73, in that one hour, your odometer says you went three miles farther than you actually did.

The average owner, for the most part, could care less about such trivial differences. Well, that's ok if you have a vehicle that is OUT OF WARRANTY. But, if your vehicle has a year AND mileage warranty, like many or most do, what can happen is, you can easily arrive at the end of your warranty, mileage wise, long before you should.

Case in point. Quite a while ago, Honda car owners were having this exact problem. And, it was not only nation wide but, world wide. The problem began when folks were attempting to get their Hondas repaired for various issues, and thought for sure, they still had warranty. Honda of course, would deny warranty due to mileage.

Well, as one would expect concerning something like this, the problem grew, across the nation and folks got together and yep, formed a class action lawsuit against Honda. Guess what, Honda lost. After that, Honda was ordered to make their speedo's considerably more accurate. And, it was the same kind of situation with their Goldwing motorcycles too. After 2009, the speedo's on those were quite a bit more accurate.

So, do any of you care about this, most likely not. It's just info. But, if I were to purchase a car/truck/motorhome/motorcycle brand new today, and I hadn't signed the dotted line yet, and took any of those type vehicles out for a test drive and found the speedo to be off, NOT IN MY FAVOR, I'd make darn sure that the dealer, and if necessary, the manufacturer, would be acutely aware of it reading more miles than I travel and, I'd be discussing additional warranty AT NO COST TO ME. Now, would I get what I'd be asking for? Who knows. But, you get my point.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #7

My F350 has always been off by the same 3 MPH. I remember reading somewhere they do it on purpose on American vehicles. My German and Japanese vehicles are spot on.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every car I've owned had that problem, they are never slower.

Follow the money.....it wracks up more miles so your 36,000 mile warranty expires faster.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
My F350 has always been off by the same 3 MPH. I remember reading somewhere they do it on purpose on American vehicles. My German and Japanese vehicles are spot on.

With Forscan you can fix that as well as make a bunch of other changes. I made a dozen or so on my F150. You can also adjust the MPG reading so it is accurate as well. Most come from the factory being off by 2-3 MPG.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My toyota the speedometer read about 3 mph fast. I read the article on the Honda's I'm thinking back in the late 90's.

But my toyota if I compare measures mile mail posts or trip mile on the GPS. I find the odometer very accurate.

My MH the speedo reads lower by about 3mp, bot I know it has to do with tire size.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:45 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
+1 for FORSCAN. I’ve made several mods on my ranger, including turning off the double honk when you get out of it with the engine running and putting my seat heater buttons on the touch screen.

I wonder if it would work on an f53 chassis.

For my Speedo, I could never get FORSCAN to calibrate it without throwing a couple codes, so I use a hyper tech tuner for that. Works great!
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newps View Post
With Forscan you can fix that as well as make a bunch of other changes. I made a dozen or so on my F150. You can also adjust the MPG reading so it is accurate as well. Most come from the factory being off by 2-3 MPG.
My Ford is a 2002 and only lets me change tire sizes so I can't dial it in exact
Old 11-18-2021, 09:30 PM   #13
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_J View Post
+1 for FORSCAN.

For my Speedo, I could never get FORSCAN to calibrate it without throwing a couple codes, ........
I have read on the Forscan forum that is a common problem that is easily corrected. Been a few months since I've investigated i so I forget the actual fix, but it is common.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:22 AM   #14

Glad to hear itís not just me.

Forscan sounds pretty interesting. Iím going to look it up. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tags
speedometer