Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2021, 03:36 PM   #1

Question Squeaky dash.

2000 Dutch Star. Really annoying squeaky, smudgie noise coming from passenger side of dash. What can I do to make it stop?
ob1knobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #2

Can you replicate it? Does it do it under certain conditions? If you grab it and shake will it squeak, from that can you tell where it's coming from? If you start to narrow the area down you'll probably to lay on the floor to home in on what's rubbing.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:21 AM   #3

Only does it on rough roads. Here in Michigan that appears to be all the time.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1knobie View Post
2000 Dutch Star. Really annoying squeaky, smudgie noise coming from passenger side of dash. What can I do to make it stop?
If it was mine, being that I really dislike squeaking, I would probably give it a very liberal dose of WD-40. On, under, inside vents and at floor level. This penetrant would at least help you eliminate those areas as potential problem areas. You may want to do a small test area on the dash but WD-40 generally shouldnt hurt any surface and it smells so good.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 07:45 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can to try to tighten all the bolts/screws holding the dash that you can find.

If the dash has been taken out before, you most likely will never get it as good as it was new. My former co-worker did that on his car with those results.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:53 AM   #6

Are you 100% positive it eminates from dash?
I had a squeek / creak in our Ventana that was from the driver side pillar. PO had stuffed clear vinyl in where the plastic pillar trim met the dash covering but I still get the annoying squeaks.
I removed the pillar trim, filled it with expanding foam and covered the back side with felt using spray glue. I also added anchors in the surrounding trim where the pillar trim was screwed into (holes were stripped) to allow a more secure attachment.
Result was about an 85% reduction with only an occasional squeak so pretty satisfied.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:15 PM   #7

WD40 would be easy enough to try. Will let you know.

Not sure I know about a driver side pillar. Is that where the seat meets the floor? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but this is my first MH and I’m still learning….a lot.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:24 AM   #8

As a passenger, take a small diameter hose and hold it to your ear an use the open end to locate the squeak. Then depending on what you find, trim or screw the offending until resolved.

I wouldn't spray the interior in WD40 liberally.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1knobie View Post
WD40 would be easy enough to try. Will let you know.

Not sure I know about a driver side pillar. Is that where the seat meets the floor? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but this is my first MH and Im still learning.a lot.
The. Pillar is the frame between windshield and side window. The part I modified was the interior plastic trim.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:52 PM   #10

I had the same problem in my 2014 Tiffin Breeze. Drove me crazy until two days ago when while washing the bugs off the front I found the front "hood" was very slightly loose on the right hand side. My better half was in the coach when I was pushing on the hood and she asked what was I working on because inside the dash was squeaking. I opened the hood and found the latch was not tight on the right hand side. A small adjustment and no more squeak. I will know for sure if that fixed it the next time we take the coach out on the road.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
If it was mine, being that I really dislike squeaking, I would probably give it a very liberal dose of WD-40. On, under, inside vents and at floor level. This penetrant would at least help you eliminate those areas as potential problem areas. You may want to do a small test area on the dash but WD-40 generally shouldnt hurt any surface and it smells so good.
I would use silicone spray instead of WD as this is not really a very good lubricant.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:22 AM   #12

Put a dusting of baby powder around all the joint surfaces on the dash. It will help reducing/eliminating squeaks. Worked for me on prior coach . I'd avoid the WD40 and Silicone suggestions as that may stain the dash .
Old 11-05-2021, 07:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Put a dusting of baby powder around all the joint surfaces on the dash. It will help reducing/eliminating squeaks. Worked for me on prior coach . I'd avoid the WD40 and Silicone suggestions as that may stain the dash .
WD-40 has been used for a myriad of reasons many times by people with good success including using it to remove glue caused by a label, etc. Last thing Id use on anything to remove a squeak is a silicone based product or heaven forbid, the new dusty baby powder they are making these days. But to each his own.

And by the way, youd concentrate the spray in the cracks and joints with the straw, not take a bath in it.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
WD-40 has been used for a myriad of reasons many times by people with good success including using it to remove glue caused by a label, etc. Last thing Id use on anything to remove a squeak is a silicone based product or heaven forbid, the new dusty baby powder they are making these days. But to each his own.

And by the way, youd concentrate the spray in the cracks and joints with the straw, not take a bath in it.
Commonly used in flooring,etc as well as dashboards
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/2101736...-squeaky-floor

Tags
dash, squeak