Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Squirrely rear camera

A few weeks ago I noticed our rear camera wasn't working. No sound and no picture. The side cameras are fine. I had a repairman out who checked out the monitor and stated I needed a new rear camera. Ordered it from Triple-H. When removing the camera the cable pulled loose where either squirrels or rats had chewed through the wiring. Yes, we live near a wooded area and have had squirrel damage before. I have done various things to deter the squirrels but hadn't thought the rear camera area was a place they would do damage. I can't see any access point where they could have possibly squeezed into but apparently they did. Now I'm faced with pulling the cable and trying to run a new line from the monitor to the camera and can't even see how that is possible without doing some major damage in the process.

I know there are wireless cameras, which if they work, I think might be a better way to go. At least it wouldn't give the squirrels a new meal. It seems like I might be able to mount the camera in the same location, with maybe some modifications and have a monitor for the rear and use the existing side cameras as they are now.

Any thoughts or suggestions concerning a wireless camera would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RJ
2008 Tiffin Allegro 32LA
PS: If this works I'll have a new unused rear camera for sale.
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
One possible way is to see if you can fish the back wall to get your new cable down to the chassis frame. Place the new cable in the chassis rails forward to engine compartment, then into your dash area. If the wall is not fishable then maybe fish into the closet and then down to the chassis. Post some pics of the coach, may help get other suggestions. Have not used a wireless camera, that may also be an option as you suggested.
Good luck
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
On our triple E Commander we removed one tail light and grabbed a fish wire that we dropped down from the above hole. It took a few tries but it worked. We were then able to pull the camera cable down to the tail light and from there down to under the coach (inside the rear cap). Then we fished it up to the front.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If any part of the old cable is accessible, or even from the monitor end puncture a hole through the cable and attach one end of a nylon ball of string and then from the other end see if you can pull the old cable through. This is going to depend on any anchoring or wedging of the old cable. Once the string is through, attach a new cable to the string and pull it back through. worked for me once before - not on an RV but on a long run of cable.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
If any part of the old cable is accessible, or even from the monitor end puncture a hole through the cable and attach one end of a nylon ball of string and then from the other end see if you can pull the old cable through. This is going to depend on any anchoring or wedging of the old cable. Once the string is through, attach a new cable to the string and pull it back through. worked for me once before - not on an RV but on a long run of cable.
This may work for all or some of the replacement. If can determine where the defective portion is then only replace the damaged wire, reusing the good existing.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #6

I do not remember working in the back cap of my fathers Allegro. When I put on the wire for the brake system we put in his Jeep, I ran the wire through the 1" square tubing they used as a stringer under the compartments. As I showed him, taking a play from electrical installations. I made a mouse, in our case a piece of foam on the end of a string and used a shop vac to suck it through the square tubing. In our case that got us from front to back. I do not think I have pulled a wire up the back cap..... network cables to the slides....
Old 06-08-2013, 06:07 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
When we replaced our rear camera with a different brand we spliced the new wire onto the old in the rear cap. It is working fine. Is there enough room where the wire was damaged to just repair it?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help. The cable can't be spliced and it looks like a difficult job to run new cable up the rear cap plus I can't see giving the wildlife some new chew food. So, I've ordered a wireless camera. I'll post results once installed. Thanks again.

RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I spent 2 hours of hell. Caused by trying to lean my head back against the motor and pulling down the firm plastic lip inside the door. I finally drilled a 2 1/2 hole in the plywood under the cap - on an angle and the wife went up on the roof and ran the fish wire down to me. After many tries I could finally see it and was able to snag it with a close hanger - bent at the tip. Ever time I tried to reach under the cap I blocked my own view but finally we won. Now I can full the new cable - when it comes - down to the lip of the engine compartment and run it around the lip and along the bottom of the coach.
I offered to do the labor to save having to take the coach 350 miles to the nearest dealer.
What a pain since it seems that when the switch box fried (3 camera system) it took out the rear camera and the wire to it.
Oh well all should be ok next week.
The wife wouldn't let me run the wire along the roof and duct tape it on.

Tags
camera