Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
P&S

Stabilizers under bed not holding

I have a 2004 Winnebago Brave and had to replace one of the hydraulic stabilizers under the platform mattress in back. When my son installed and reinforced both arms they worked just fine without the mattress on it. When we added the mattress on the platform, the arms would not hold it up. Should the arms be adjusted, or worked in to hold? As I am a woman owner of the MH now and my son is not familiar with MHs, we are hoping somebody has run into this before.
Thanks,
P&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #2

There is no adjustment, and they do not "work in." Each one is rated in lbs. Your replacement just doesn't have enough capacity. Exchange for one with the proper rating.

Call Winnebago and ask them for the proper units.

Good Luck
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #3

That is a lot of weight to expect the gas cylinders to support. With mattress, foam topper, and bedding it adds up to a lot. Mine gives me some assistance when lifting and then I put a broomstick under it to keep it up. I have a second stick to go under the hatch cover found underneath. It works for us. Joe
jofo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
A little old fashioned but piece of 1X2 cut to length will hold the bed and stores easily. Just a thought!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #5

The struts come in different lift ratings and existing struts can be repressurised to give a higher rating. If you go this route you have to make sure the mountings and the hinges are strong enough to take the large horizontal forces when the lid is closed.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
here is a link to a supplier...
HatchLift | RV Hatch Lifts | Lift Hatch | Hatch Springs | Hatch Lift Supports | Hatch Hinges
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #7

This isn't difficult. The units can support all the bedding and a lot more. You just need to use thr correct support. Winnabego knows which units to use -- they made it. Just call them and all mysteries will vanish.

Our units support all the bed stuff and the engine compartment cover -- real heavy. Yours can do the same thing if you just get the correct ubits.

Good Luck
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may be able to look the info up on Winnies site. The have technical diagrams on their web site. I would down load them all for your MH so that you can refer to them in the future.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I re-built our bed this year so it was hinged and DW could lift it to store items under it and stay open. I used 2 gas shocks, but had to guess on the pounds I needed. I think I got 2 100lb and they worked well with the mattress, sheets and blanket. However, when DW put her very heavy home made bedspread on it, it wouldn't stay up

My advise to anyone doing this, error on the side of too big of shocks, much easier to push them down for DW than hold it up and put a broom stick under it.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I re-built our bed this year so it was hinged and DW could lift it to store items under it and stay open. I used 2 gas shocks, but had to guess on the pounds I needed. I think I got 2 100lb and they worked well with the mattress, sheets and blanket. However, when DW put her very heavy home made bedspread on it, it wouldn't stay up

My advise to anyone doing this, error on the side of too big of shocks, much easier to push them down for DW than hold it up and put a broom stick under it.
A Broom stick might still be a good idea even withthe higher capacity shocks, just incase one of them goes out while someone is under the bed storing somthing. Yo would not want to have that heavy thing come down on them.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
P&S

stabilizer under bed

thanks for all the helpful tips. I called Winnebago service dept. and they told me to make sure i get stabilizers rated for 120lb. I happen to be at Cummins for electrical repair and they had the stabilizers, bingo they snapped them in and my bed is staying up like it used to. Thanks everybody!
P&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #12

You can also get the electric operated ones. We recently went to a bigger (heaver) mattress and DW has a hard time lifting it. It will stay up after lifting, but we are having an electric lift installed next week at Custom RV in Red Bay Alabama. Hope that does the trick. Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved44 View Post
You can also get the electric operated ones. We recently went to a bigger (heaver) mattress and DW has a hard time lifting it. It will stay up after lifting, but we are having an electric lift installed next week at Custom RV in Red Bay Alabama. Hope that does the trick. Steve
Hey Steve: Post up a report and some photos when you are done.

Thanks
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #14

Push button Linear Actuators, 12 volt, and can be had here https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.a...c&keyword=EALD

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote