Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #1

Starting to look

Hello all,

Me and the wife just started looking at motorhomes. We are learning very fast there is tons to research and decided on. We plan on taking it slow making sure we know what we want. If things go as planned we will be buying our first one in about a year or so. I plan on taking that time to read these forums and keep walking rv lots. So thanks in advance for all the info you guys have put on here.

One question I have real fast is about financing. I see most people that have posted there rates have had around 800 fico score. Will we have a problem if we are only around 680 to 700? Thanks again.
Tootubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State.

Can't really help with the financing question as mine is 825, but the lower you score the higher your interest rate and it might affect the availability of financing.

In the year or so before buying you should work on raising your scores, it will help.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #3

You shouldn't have too much trouble with 680 or 700, but as stated above, you will pay a penalty the lower your credit score.

Are you looking for new or used?

Do you have a price range in mind?

Gas or diesel?

There will be a lot more help available here if you can narrow down what you are looking for. And welcome to the forum!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:58 PM   #4

We are looking to finance around 80k with putting down payment of about 15k. I would like a diesel but am still looking at the differances. We are looking for a class c or small Class A. Like I said we are still trying yo learn what we want. As far as new or used we don't have a preference yet. I think if we go used we would only go 4 or 5 years old though. I plan on living on the forums for the next year or so while we learn everything we can.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
First off welcome.

Do look at many models. Cruise the lots like you are and try to attend an RV show if you can. Then you will see lots of units from various manufactures

Read the multiple threads here on various subjects on buying, maintaining, travel and such in an RV

Your credit score should not be a problem but you probably will not qualify for the lowest interest rate offered by your lending institution. You may also find you will need to increase your down payment and this will depend a lot on what rig you end up with.

Lastly feel free to ask a ton of questions. This place is loaded with lots of good folks and good info.

Enjoy the adventure
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

Hi

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #8

Since you're taking your time, be sure to do your best to define how you plan to use the coach, and how often. It's important to match the coach to your intended use.
Of course consider where you'll store it, maintenance costs, tow car setup costs(if you plan to tow a car), insurance costs, roadside assistance, taxes and registration, etc. If you're buying used, you'll most likely want to pay for a pre-purchase inspection and may or may not want to purchase an extended warranty. It can all add up very quickly so it's best to attempt to reduce the number of unexpected expenses.
There are many many very informative videos on YouTube that can help with the systems and maintenance learning curve, not to mention lots of salesperson walkthoughs showing you all of the features of a given model & model year - imo much better and more efficient than going to dealerships.
Happy planning and shopping.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
As You will make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect MH for your needs. I don't know about the financing.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #11

I would suggest that if you have $15k for a down payment, then you could quite easily buy a 10+ yr old C or small A in reasonable condition and just pay cash for it. There are many units that spend most of their life in storage and used less than a month each year. It is usually easy to see if there is anything major wrong with it. The major thing to look for would be water damage from leaks, delamination (blisters) in the outer layer of fiberglass and then of course make sure everything works correctly.

As others have pointed out, you will not really know what works for you until you have spent some time out there doing it. New RV's depreciate like a falling rock. After a year or two, you can sell the old one and loose a lot less money on it than if you purchased a new one now. You will have had fun in the meantime, learned a lot about RV's and can then buy one that fits your style. We did that with our first RV and wound up keeping it for 5 years. We actually sold it for the amount we paid for it.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #12

Just keep reading and looking, looking, and looking. Go look at large RV dealers and think about your wants and NEEDS. Above all, be flexible in your wants and keep options open.
We went into this about 3 years ago. Having driven big trucks in the lower 48 and up yonder, for me pulling a 5er wasn't an issue. First thing on the list was a 3500 to pull it. After 5 months of looking (no hurry) I found exactly what I wanted, and we went and got it. Then started on the trailer, but we continued to look at A's and C's. As it would only be us and fur children, the overhead sleeping area was a waste. Then at the Feb 2017 Raleigh show, we walked into the first production Thor WS31 with cabinets and TV in the overhead. All of a sudden, a Class C was back in the running. We spent time with Kevin Mullis from Thor learning about Thor and the coach. About 2 hours later, we found our perfect 5er TH, except for the garage was the absolute minimum size, but they had the exact twin with a 2 foot longer garage.....at the lot. Great, we thought. I asked the salesman if we got to Jamestown RV before 4:45 if someone would show us that one TH. NO!, wouldn't even make the call to ask. We already had financing lined up and I told him that and that if the 5er had the 2 foot longer garage, we would be back to talk money with delivery on the following Wednesday. Nope, still no call. We went back to D&H, made a deal on the Class C, and ended up with better financing thru State Farm Bank and took delivery of it on Wednesday morning....And haven't looked back.

Long story short, be ready to, and willing to make changes and be flexible. If you focus on one specific thing, you will miss many other opportunities. (And I still have my big pickup)
Old 04-13-2018, 07:01 AM   #13

Thanks for all the tips guys. I never even considered being able to get one for around the 15k mark. I love that idea since as a lot of people are pointing out this first one will be more of a learning one for us. Guess I will start reading up on things to watch out for on buying used.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #14

Just want to throw this out there...wife and I were in the same boat a year back, we did have a couple TT some years back so I had some idea of what we were looking at but still had many questions. We decided to look for a used MH and go from there, more of a test to see how we liked it and a learning tool. We searched and found an older used model (1994) that the previous 2 owners had replaced just about everything inside the coach over the past 6-8 yrs. This included furnace, water heater, fridge, AC unit, water pump. microwave etc and had all the receipts!! Also all the receipts for all work done on the coach over its life and all original paperwork. Outside has some fading and peeling decals but interior was excellent. Motor and trans runs like a top and all fluids maintained with full syn lubes over its life. MH had 84000 miles and does not leak or use a single drop of oil. After outfitting and replacing the carpet with laminate we have 13000 invested.
We have paid cash for everything and everything works like a charm. We figure we can use this for a couple three years or so and then decide if this is our lifestyle or not. If we opt out there will be no big loss, repairs have been mostly regular maintenance items, including batteries and new steer tires. Will probably upgrade front coil springs to more HD springs to make it handle a little better. We have now complaints at this time, we love our old coach, we don't worry about a ding or scratch or even if it gets dirty. Based on other comments about yearly maintence costs we are not paying any more than anyone else on average and we have not had to remortgage the house! If we decide to move up then we have a trade or easy sell outright (everything works) or if we get out then no big loss, in the mean time we are learning with every trip...good luck in your search
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote