Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2021, 06:42 AM   #1

State Inspection Enforcement.

We live in and have our MH tagged in NY, a state that requires annual inspections. Cars too, but plenty of shops do them.

Being seasonal travelers, this is our summer destination and the MH isn't used.

I was a licensed NYS inspector back in my working days so I know what's safe or not.

Question is, without getting into the safety or emission discussion, if stopped out of state, can other states ticket me for lack of current NY State inspection ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #2

Not in Florida there is no inspection in this state so there is no law to enforce
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I'm not a lawyer or a cop

My OPINION is:

Very few if any LEOs out of State would even know that NY requires an inspection sticker. Also not sure if they can enforce a NY regulation.

If you are stopped it will be for a reason and that is what they will focus on.

Kinda like many states require a special DL to drive rigs over 26,000 pounds cops can't know nor be expected to know all states laws.

I wouldn't stress ove this issue.
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:05 AM   #4

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
We live in and have our MH tagged in NY, a state that requires annual inspections. Cars too, but plenty of shops do them.

Being seasonal travelers, this is our summer destination and the MH isn't used.

I was a licensed NYS inspector back in my working days so I know what's safe or not.

Question is, without getting into the safety or emission discussion, if stopped out of state, can other states ticket me for lack of current NY State inspection ?
I would say yes to being cited because I am sure the Annual Inspection Sticker is dated. If operating in a state which does not require annual inspections probably doesnít have a statute on the books to issue a citation. And always your subject to the discretion of the officer.
As a side note; this would be a sticker in the window OUT OF SERVICE violation if we where considered a commercial vehicle.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #5

If you do not get an inspection, I know you will not be able to register the vehicle for the following year. Not sure if there is a registration suspension after a certain time period in the current year. If and its rare in a mh, you get stopped and they run it and it says that you are in violation who knows.
Winger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:33 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Out of state I would say no as the inspection requirement is from the state that is licensing the vehicle. How could a Pennsylvania constitutional officer issue you a citation for failing to comply with a NY regulation while you are physically located in Pennsylvania? How would an officer know what is valid and what isn't particularly considering the extensions that were granted over the past year by each state.

I live in Virginia and the first line of the statue here as an example - ",,, registered in Virginia and operated or parked on a highway within the Commonwealth shall submit his vehicle to an inspection,,,".

You also have to consider these are civil and not criminal offenses which adds an additional wrinkle regarding enforcement. Now if they use as a probably cause to pull you over looking for other stuff,,,
Old 07-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't worry about it. How many times have you heard of anyone being stopped or even checked?
Old 07-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
As a retired NYSP Trooper, no. Police can not enforce another state's laws.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:04 AM   #9

In Texas we have vehicle inspections and if you are out of state and it expires you simply need to register the motorhome and have it inspected when you return to your county of residence. I was advised when I asked about this by a staff member at the registration office. Not sure about NY.
04georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
No, you canít be ticketed in another state under your home stateís laws. Lack of venue.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:31 AM   #11

The mention of re- registration denial had me thinking.

According to the NYS DMV site, they will not allow me to renew my registration if there hasn't been an inspection in the last 12 months.

Since its a 2 year registration, I'll wait until its due.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:

According to the NYS DMV site, they will not allow me to renew my registration if there hasn't been an inspection in the last 12 months.

I was about to post that here in Texas, the inspection has to happen before the vehicle's registration can be renewed.

I'm not exactly sure what a person is supposed to do if they happen to be in another state when a Texas registration comes due. Don't know for sure but my guess would be that driving with an expired registration might get you stopped and cited in another state.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
No, you can’t be ticketed in another state under your home state’s laws. Lack of venue.
So, I would never have to pay for an inspection or registration again if the vehicle stayed out of the state it was registered in? I wouldn't think it would work that way.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #14

Quote:

Having been in this situation myself (by surprise, since I'd not checked), and curious, I poked around a bit. NYS DMV says to call them if you're out of state, out of inspection, and need to renew your registration. That implies an exception process exists. Also, if you're out of state and out of inspection, you can get an extension that allows you to enter the state without the risk of a ticket, and with 10 days to get an inspection after you re-enter:

https://dmv.ny.gov/inspection/inspection-requirements

Or, you can do what I wound up doing. Take the risk, get home, and get an inspection as soon as possible after that. I was lucky enough to avoid a ticket, but that was before the days of police car mounted license plate readers and the more recent crop of in-car computers networked to DMV records in real time.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote