Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Stay Hooked-Up to 30amp or Not

OK, I am new to the motorhome world just bought a new Holiday Rambler 38K, we've always had a toy hauler. So now trying to decide when not in use should I leave it plugged in or not. If not plugged in do I turn the house batteries off? How long do the batteries stayed charged? Thanks for all comments, let me know what you guys do.
Livinggood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I leave mine plugged in

with the ac at 82 or heat about 55 in the winter just to minimize the wild swings in temp. Leave the switch on for the coach and check the batteries water level monthly. Run the generator monthly and the engine monthly. Take it for a drive monthly if not used over the winter.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am pro to leaving your unit plugged in to allow the batteries to be "float" charged. If you frequently use your unit then you could probably not, and do the battery disconnect. If your unit sits weeks on end... keep it charged.
I personally leave my battery switch on, and stay plugged in...
IMO only!
Bill
Old 07-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #4

Ours is plugged in 24/7. AC set at 80 during summer and space heater at 45 during winter. Batt switch on. Fridge also stays on during season as we use it frequently. Genny started monthly for 1-2 hours at half load.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

We keep our coach plugged into a 30A outlet to keep the batteries charges and provide minimum heat and A/C.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:32 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I leave mine plugged in all the time, refer on too. Right now it's on 20 amps although I have a 30 amp available.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I go either way... If its more than a few weeks, I generally unplug shore and disconnect the batteries. Especially in the winter, no sense in giving critters a nice warm place to set up housekeeping. Also eliminates an possibility of something going wrong and starting a fire, etc..

If its a few days, I may leave it plugged in, especially if I'll be in / out..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #8

Posted this in another thread. Because I don't trust the converter/charger to not overcharge the house batteries, I have ours plugged into a timer that turns on once a week for 12 hours. This to charge the house batteries and to supply power to a separate chassis battery charger. This set up is working great and it's saving me both batteries and energy usage.

Ours is a regular two way rv type frig so i don't leave it on. Had a friend that did and the only thing it accomplished was giving him the headache of having to replace it when it conked out prematurely.

Being under shelter, I don't tend to heat or cool when stored. I do provide power and turn the heat to the lowest setting if temperatures are expected to go and stay below freezing for more than a few hours.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #9

I leave mine unplugged and the batteries disconnected when not in use and in winter storage. I will plug it in a few hrs before leaving on a trip. That way there is no need to check on anything , and with nothing connected or plugged in , nothing can go wrong.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
we leave ours plugged in 24/7 to a 50 amp i had installed at residence..........i don't start genny or engine in mid winter unless it gets warmer than freezing.........if you run engine and it doesn't get hot enough, all you are doing is putting water vapor in your exhaust system..........will test most systems mid winter if warm enough......and in ohio, you can usually count on a 50 degree day in january and february...............
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:20 AM   #11

If leaving plugged in make sure to check battery water levels monthly. We lived in the desert so in summer temps are crazy hot and I really needed to watch the water levels.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO58 View Post
If leaving plugged in make sure to check battery water levels monthly. We lived in the desert so in summer temps are crazy hot and I really needed to watch the water levels.
Unless you have AGM batteries, no water to check... I have AGM's that is another reason I like to keep my coach plugged in.

NEVER let an AGM go dead, they may never recover!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:21 PM   #13

Just read another thread where the OP stated he kept his plugged into 30 amp when stored. He went out one day and found that the charger/converter had burned out. Also had a fuse blown on the microwave oven. Could have been a power surge or just wear and tear on the electronics. Either way, it shows another example for why I would NOT want to leave my rig plugged in continuously.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:44 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Just read another thread where the OP stated he kept his plugged into 30 amp when stored. He went out one day and found that the charger/converter had burned out. Also had a fuse blown on the microwave oven. Could have been a power surge or just wear and tear on the electronics. Either way, it shows another example for why I would NOT want to leave my rig plugged in continuously.
Yes, You are correct... One point that I failed to suggest and personally practice is a lifetime warrantied Progressive Industries EMS‑PT50X, you can also purchase them at 30 Amp.
I use it while home, and away. My coach is NEVER plugged in without this device!