Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
steer safe not fitting

so I dropped the rv off last week so we could have the steer safe installed along with the awning and rear camera installed. they called yesterday to say that the steer safe wouldn't fit past the calipers, I gave them the steer safe number and they said they couldn't get a hold of anyone. I talked to steersafe today on their cell# and they said they could recommend another shop here in temecula or I could just return them. my problem is I feel the rvsupercenter in temecula always seem to have a problem with everything we have taken to them to get fixed. I know the rv is older but they really push for you to buy there products. the pyle back up camera system i bought for them to install, they immediately told me that only a wireless camera would work in our 25 foot class a MH, I told them I had researched it and that I knew I needed longer rca cable and that it would take longer to install. two days later they call and say they can't install it because the cable is too short ( i already told them that) they said they would provide the cable.
does anyone know a trustworthy rv or auto store that could install my steersafe? thanks, angela
beaudrya786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Look through here for a place near you. BTW, when Steer Safe installed mine at Quartzsite, it took them about 15 min. Great system.

www.rvservicereviews.com
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudrya786 View Post
so I dropped the rv off last week so we could have the steer safe installed along with the awning and rear camera installed. they called yesterday to say that the steer safe wouldn't fit past the calipers, I gave them the steer safe number and they said they couldn't get a hold of anyone. I talked to steersafe today on their cell# and they said they could recommend another shop here in temecula or I could just return them. my problem is I feel the rvsupercenter in temecula always seem to have a problem with everything we have taken to them to get fixed. I know the rv is older but they really push for you to buy there products. the pyle back up camera system i bought for them to install, they immediately told me that only a wireless camera would work in our 25 foot class a MH, I told them I had researched it and that I knew I needed longer rca cable and that it would take longer to install. two days later they call and say they can't install it because the cable is too short ( i already told them that) they said they would provide the cable.
does anyone know a trustworthy rv or auto store that could install my steersafe? thanks, angela
I feel for you..When we find a good shop, it's priceless.

I just installed a Pyle setup..wired..got a 50ft piece of RCA and in about an hour, I was done. Love it. 28ft Class A.

Good luck..
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't use an RV dealer for chassis work anyway - it's not their cup of tea. Most any mechanical shop ought to be able to install a Steer Safe using the instructions that come with it. It's not exactly rocket science.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudrya786 View Post
so I dropped the rv off last week so we could have the steer safe installed along with the awning and rear camera installed. they called yesterday to say that the steer safe wouldn't fit past the calipers, I gave them the steer safe number and they said they couldn't get a hold of anyone.
Can't help with installer recommendations, but tell the shop to install the steer safe wheel units with the tabs/ears facing in (toward the vehicle center), rather than out (toward the wheel), if they won't clear the calipers. It's done all the time.

What chassis does your MH have? Ford?, Chevy?, other?
Did Steer Safe confirm they provided the correct unit for your chassis?
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
steersafe confirmed it was the right model. I have a chevy chassis and got the p30 steersafe. I am hoping to work on it tomorrow, not the motorhome but finding out what to do about the steersafe. thanks for all your replies.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Don't know if you looked through the site I posted above, but I found this one and he has two posts that were rated as excellent by two customers. Give him a call. He is Mobile. I watched the Steer Safe folks install mine, the biggest deal was making sure the wheels were centered.

Company
Miller Mobile RV Services
Temecula, CA 92590
951-816-1190
Old 06-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I checked out the RV Super Center you are using and not very good report by only one customer. He contacted your BBB and they said there are numerous complaints about them.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Watched CW install my steer safe. Took about 45 minutes. Test drove the MH. Had to make one small adjustment.
Drives like a dream with one finger!
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
thanks everyone for your replies, motorhome still at the rvnotsosupercenter. it has been there three weeks to get the steersafe,awning and back up camera installed. we are still waiting! seems there have been problems with all 3 items. I told them when I dropped it off that I needed it back by the 30th as my nephew and his friends will be coming home from the army for 8 days before they leave again on deployment. DH called rv yesterday and they said they can't work on it this weekend but will get back on it monday morning. I asked DH what they are still working on and he said he doesn't know. I am beyond frustrated now and the dang steersafe box is just sitting in the livingroom due to the fact the rv place said they are going to put something on the rv that should help with stabilization. course DH doesn't know what!!! I don't want to send the steersafe back, I just want the motorhome back so I can have a mechanic try put it on. so now our plans are to take nephew and friends up to vegas tomorrow til tuesday and hope the rv is done.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Can't believe you're still allowing this joint to work on your RV. Did you call your BBB to see if what the people posted on RVSERVICEREVIEWS was true? Based on your problems with them I'm sure their customer service is something I would not tolerate. What about the Mobile Mechanic I referred you too?? Did you call him? His reviews were both excellent. You will also find that the hourly rate a Mobile RV Mechanic charges is a lot less then a RV Dealer because he doesn't have the overhead he has to make up for. I'm betting that when you finally get your RV back that the work they were supposed to do isn't done correctly.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
my DH talked with miller mobile mechanic last week about the steersafe, that's why we haven't returned it yet. We want to get the rv back so we can have miller come out and look it over and see if he can install the steersafe. My DH has a hard time taking my advice sometimes and once he has started something he just wants it done. Well it isnt getting done and now even he is getting frustrated. We won't use them again and it has been a very expensive lesson. Oh and I will be filing a complaint with the BBB. (and with the DH)
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Also post your experiance with them in RVservicereviews. You should tell them that you are going to post the service you received from them on RV Service Reviews so that other RV owners can see it. It might get the work done quicker and cheaper. I always post the service I receive on there, be it good or bad. This helps others who may research the site to see if they want to use a business or by pass them. I also give them the web site so they can see what their customers are saying about them. Good luck, hope everything goes well.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Just an update on steer safe install, miller mobile coming to house this Wednesday to install it and check out a few other items on RV. I am so hopeful that all goes well with the install as DH would like to get rid of RV due to bad experience with rvsupercenter. He gave them two chances and it cost him, they would have been given one chance if I had been present...oh well live and learn... I will update again on Wednesday