Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We camped in West Virginia for 4 weeks (Sept-Oct) and had quite a few although no where near what you guys are describing. As we left and moved back to AZ we would find a couple each day and throw them out as we motored down the road. I guess we were like Johnnie Appleseed.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Anybody got a picture of these little buggers?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP: Stink bug photo

Here is a link to an article that includes a picture.

There's a New Bug in Town: Stink Bugs Invading Crops - FoxNews.com

Do a google search and your find a lot.

This past weekend I sprayed - carefully and selectively - with Ortho Home Defense MAX, which is the same chemical professionals are using on stink bugs - so says the internet. I also vacumed a lot, and finally, I put out 12 small bowls filled with household ammonia. It was getting surprising strong before I could get out. We have to keep our unit at a storage facility, so it will be 2 weeks before we return for results.

We'll see if any of this will pay off.

This summer we've had greater and lesser infestations when we went to pick up the unit. But in total, we have easily eliminated over a thousand, yes a thousand of them. Vacume cleaners full. Next year we are probably going to move the unit. Its stored right up agains a line of trees and that may be our biggest problem.

Luck to everyone else.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
They're about 1/2" long.
Attached Images

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife says that they are very friendly. They let you walk right up with a tissue and pick them up. We are now down to about half a dozen a day. DW says that they cannot stand hot weather. So Texas, here we come.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP - Outcome

FYI, anyone with this issue. The top of this post says I'm trying an insecticide and ammonia to drive them out.

For the record, neither did any good at all. It did kill the ones the spray landed on because we found a lot of dead ones. However, since then we went on one trip with lots still walking around. And this last weekend we winterized and looked everywhere in every way. We found two piles hiding of about 75 bugs each pile, probably 10 or so more piles of about 10 hiding together, and at least 100 - 200 more just walking around.

I don't think we can keep the bugs of of the RV.
The answer is to keep the RV away from the bugs.
So we're going to look for different, better storage facilities.

Best of luck everyone.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I've always found one or two in my garden each year, but last summer they were there by the hundreds, maybe even thousands. They did a lot of damage to the summer squash & pumpkins, but for some reason, didn't do too much to the butternut squash. They were not quite as bad this year, but still far more than in the past.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #22

I too live in the Mid-Atlantic area and have been fighting these pest for about three years. I first noticed them in the summer of 2007. A friend of mine who works for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources says they came into the country through container shipments from southeast Asia and have no known predators to control them. Most user pesticides will not kill them except one, Permethrin. I found "RAID FUMIGATOR" contains 12.6% Permethrin and tried it last fall when I put the coach in storage for the winter. I set off one canister locked the coach up and came back two days later to find about 60 DEAD stink bugs all over the coach even some in the storage bays. A couple of my RVing friends tried the same stuff with the same results, bunches of dead stink bugs. Now this isn't a permanent cure it won't keep them away, but at least none have returned yet.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our MH is in storage. No high vegetation around. On Sunday, Feb 13, 2011 we went up and opened it up to take it for a 30 mile ride before my surgery the following Tuesday. DW found 1 live one and two dead ones. I have set off about 5 bombs in the MH and two in the bays, previously, about 2 months ago. I'm going to set off another few bombs before we take it out again.

I read an article that states that these were brought into Pennsylvania to help fight Aphids that havoc the farms. It didn't work and the bugs are vegetarians and do more damage than the Aphids. The migrated Easterly to MD first, and now have spread along the Eastern states. The article also states what they are intolerant to in the form of pesticides. It eludes me right now but I'll see if I can find the ingredient again.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #24

Wayne M

Did you use a pesticide that contains Permethrin? It is the only user available ingredient that has been shown to be effective on these pests.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've been throwing out a couple every week still! One night I'm sound asleep and wake up to feel a large bug on my hand...I nearly jumped out of the window. It was a stink bug.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm sorry! I missed a few posts that asked a specific question. Shame on me.

First, we visited the MH yesterday in her storage bay. While I was dealing with electrical problems from the storage facility, DW was inside. When I finally walked in she was counting out loud. She was doing this as she was picking up dead stink bugs. Her total count was 51. So I guess what I "bombed" with before storage works for a while.

The primary ingredient for "indoor" killing of the stink bug is cypermethrin. I piced up my bombs at Lowe's. (HLS will probably pick up the word "bomb" and give us a visit, huh?) Anyhow, it is a Hot Shot product, No-Mess fogger and it contanes. 0.86% cypermethrin.

For out side killing you should use the Permethrin insecticides.

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question OP is back

Thanks all for keeping this going. Probably a small group of us with this issue but its really a yucky issue.

Most valuable info from you all are post that bombs worked. I had read online that they would not, but apparently at least the right bomb in an RV does work.

How long did you wait for the bomb poison to clear out before using? Days or weeks? Did you remove much? Clothing, bedding, etc.

ALSO: Just was told that pepperment oil will repel bugs in general, and since stink bugs seem to be attracted to their own smell then we are hopeful this will have some effect.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
John & Caren,
We did not remove anything, other than food articles. Then we washed plates before using them. We'll wash again before departing on next trip.

When we got back I bombed here in the driveway all closed up the first time, and then the next day opened up and let it air out. I turned on the basement "air only" fan for assistance. When I saw how many it was getting and then some still walking, although slowly, I decided to bomb again and this time I extended the slides. Again we let it sit for a day then aired it out during daylight hours. We also did a shampoo on the carpet with a small shampooer we bought. IT seems that the bomb we used is still working, but to make sure I'm going to bomb it again before we leave on our next trip.