Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2021, 07:32 PM   #1

Stolen gas by drilling holes in the tank.

It happened this week. I took the RV down the street to fill it and gas came rolling out on from under the rig. Somebody had drilled a hole in the tank and another one higher up to let the gas flow out quicker. It was stored at a supposedly secure facility with cameras and fences. I've tried to put a temporary fix of JB Weld etc. to no avail. Before I replace the tank I thought I would ask if anyone had any more effective way of fixing the problem. Any ideas?
Cayman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 07:52 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
JB Weld will work to glue a patch but not so much as a filler to close up a hole. Sand the paint off the patch area and ensure all gasoline residue is cleaned off and try a patch. Use a can (a food can) lid as a patch and repaint once the weld sets.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #3

Is the hole small enough that you can put a stainless screw in it? If so, clean the surrounding area well, put the screw in, then seal with the fuel-resistant sealer of choice.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
It happened this week. I took the RV down the street to fill it and gas came rolling out on from under the rig. Somebody had drilled a hole in the tank and another one higher up to let the gas flow out quicker. It was stored at a supposedly secure facility with cameras and fences. I've tried to put a temporary fix of JB Weld etc. to no avail. Before I replace the tank I thought I would ask if anyone had any more effective way of fixing the problem. Any ideas?
Where are you located, my storage place they like to steal outboard motors and lower units. I would find a new storage place and you need a meeting with the storage lot owner !!
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #5

I ran over a set of dial calipers laying in the road. They popped up and punched a hole in the bottom of my gas tank. As a quick fix, I ran a self-tapping screw (1/4") into the hole. The next morning I got it up on a lift where I could see better. The mechanic said that the screw was doing the job of holding and we just cleaned the area and JB welded over the screw head and tank. That's been at least 5 years ago and I've not had any issues with the repair.

If the holes aren't too big, I'd put a screw type plug in them and JB Weld them in place.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:16 PM   #6

Many years ago I had a similar situation sort of but a hole in the tank indeed. We took the tank out and took it to a radiator shop who was able to solder a small metal patch. Had the car for many years and never an issue.

I would call a local radiator shop and see if they will do it. They can submerge the tank in water and just expose the hole so it will not have any fumes and blow up. Not many shops like that around any more but maybe an old school one is near by. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2021, 11:00 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are gas tank active leak repair epoxy putty packs in the auto parts store, ask the clerk, they work.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:42 PM   #8

A boiler plug/ screws . You should replace rubber with Vinton Oring and JB weld don't over crush the O ring . JB weld needs some thickness to work as well anyway. You can find at ace or other hardware stores. When I bought my house had electric water heater, need to run gas line and install flue to go gas.i had to installed a few of these in tank before job was complete.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BOKN2K...K1B4AWMKJYZAT6
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:49 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
have to sand down the steel around the hole to the shiney steel. most gas tanks have a coating on them to preserve their finish. I always use a coarse threaded screw or bolt to fill the hole. I like to use a rubber gasket of some kind too often having to buy some sheet material and make my own. After installed I coat over the top of the bolt, washer with 2 coats of JB weld. I put the 2nd coat on before the first is fully hard. I've never had one fail using this method.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:51 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think we are going to see more and more of this kind of theft due to the raising prices fuel. I"m surprised they didn't steal your cat converter too!
Old 05-13-2021, 06:36 AM   #11

JB Weld makes a putty that is specifically for gas tank repair. I used it several months ago on a scooter and it's working great.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:37 AM   #12

I did a lasting repair using a 2 part clay like product, kneeled to make a uniform color, cleaned good and applied.
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank