Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 AM   #1

I'm contemplating getting sunscreens for our new motorhome.

I did a search and found posts about the Prompt sunscreens that don't require any drilling on your rig, but I think I'm remembering reading on their website that they only block 80% UV Rays. The other ones that snap or twist lock block 90-94%. I've heard you shouldn't get anything below 90%.

So...which type do most people prefer?

Do you sacrifice UV blocking (which is why you're getting them, right?) so you don't have to drill into your motorhome?

And has anyone had any bad experiences from drilling?

Someone mentioned that you can get spider cracks from the screws...has anyone experienced this?

I, too, am nervous about drilling holes in my new motorhome, but also want to get the best protection that I can.

Any informtation would be appreciated!
n8ivetexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:14 AM   #2

I'm contemplating getting sunscreens for our new motorhome.

I did a search and found posts about the Prompt sunscreens that don't require any drilling on your rig, but I think I'm remembering reading on their website that they only block 80% UV Rays. The other ones that snap or twist lock block 90-94%. I've heard you shouldn't get anything below 90%.

So...which type do most people prefer?

Do you sacrifice UV blocking (which is why you're getting them, right?) so you don't have to drill into your motorhome?

And has anyone had any bad experiences from drilling?

Someone mentioned that you can get spider cracks from the screws...has anyone experienced this?

I, too, am nervous about drilling holes in my new motorhome, but also want to get the best protection that I can.

Any informtation would be appreciated!
n8ivetexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:01 AM   #3

We've had Prompt sunscreens on two motorhomes now and we like them and haven't had any issues with them. I like the fact that I don't have to get out the ladder to install or remove.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by n8ivetexan:
Do you sacrifice UV blocking (which is why you're getting them, right?) so you don't have to drill into your motorhome? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The primary reason we got sunscreens is for privacy. During the day we can see out, but it is very difficult to see in. Keeping UV out is also a benefit, but I doubt you will see any significant difference in fading of your interior between the 80% blocking of the Prompt sunscreens and the 90% of the other brand. I believe blocking the UV rays is primarily a function of the open area of the screen. If you want to block 100%, just close your drapes.

We chose Prompt because of no drilling. IMO any hole in the fiberglass is another possible water leak path. There may also be the possibility of cracks as you suggest since the screens are pulled tight and are under some tension.

The other thing we like about Prompt is they can be installed without a ladder. Well, at least most people can install them without a ladder. I need a step stool because I'm vertically challenged.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:45 AM   #5

Our sunscreens hang on the inside,suction cups on the glass. Dont get dirty, dont get wet, no holes or cracks in the fiberglass. Can't speak about the amount of UVA/UVB protection, but they work for us.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #6

( just got the Prompt ones and used them down in the keys last week and was very happy with them. The drilling of the MH isn't an issue as I already have a bra on the front held in with twist connectors so I've got lots of drilled holes in the front, the convenience of not having to have a ladder to install them in just a few seconds was what sold me.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Call Bill Rex at Prompt RV Suncreen!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see you are in Texas. If you are close to McKinney, you can visit MCD in person and see what they have in the way of sun screens and shades. These are HIGH LINE quality coach products so they are NOT INEXPENSIVE!

MotorCoach Designs-McKinney
Old 05-16-2007, 05:51 AM   #9
paz

Mutha, do you have MCD screens? If so, which ones? I see they have exterior privacy screens, interior privacy screens, and interior day/night screens for the cockpit area. The day night system looks interesting since it would replace both our exterior privacy screens and our drapes. Do you have any idea how much the day/night system for the windshield and side windows costs?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PAZ, I have ordered the motorized right & left interior sun sceens at 235 ea. without installation. These are for the Driver & Co-Pilot SIDE windows, as we already have the windsheild motorized screens from the factory. I prefer to do my own installation, especially if it involves running wiring. Their products are very pricey, but the quality and craftmanship is as close to perfection as you can get and they unconditionally guarantee your satisfaction.
My home is about 2 or 3 miles from their main facility in McKinney. They are super nice folks, and can custom build just about anything you want in the way of shades and screens.

Glenn
Old 05-17-2007, 04:50 AM   #11
paz

Mutha, thanks for the reply. I'm quite happy with my Prompt sunscreens, but if I ever have to replace them or my interior front drapes I'll have to look into the day/night system they have for the cockpit area. I bookmarked their site for future reference.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:50 AM   #12

Bump

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #13

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Those of you that use the sunscreens....do you still close your front curtains at night, or does the sunscreen provide all the privacy you need ??</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 AM   #14

If you check, you will find that you can always see in the direction of the most light. You can see out but not during the daylight hours. But you can see in toward the light of your interior lights at night.
Kind of depends on your taste's and desires of what you have to show to your neighbors.
Personally, I close the shades!
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote