Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #57

I like a person with a Positive attitude. As always, I am all eyes and ears to learn. GMTech, Thank You.
And, where do I see the video please??
My coach came with slide locks. I use them. But I see mentioned about NOT putting too much pressure on them. Thank you for that, makes sense to me. So, I learned something else today.
I want to THANK all who provide information here in this forum.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #58

gmtec, I did catch the frequencies on the radio in one of your pictures. What is your call sign? de K2LED.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #59

Gmtech i joined this forum about 1 year ago and have enjoyed this wonderful community ever since. Like you i feel the need to help others when i can. I used to get my fix of this when i worked but now in retirement i have turned to this forum. I hope you decide to stay and help others here with your knowledge, im sure you know in a forum all others have is your written word to judge you by and i have found it best especially until the community gets to know you, to be as humble as possible. We’re a lot alike i can tell from your work ive modded my 98 HR to be what i needed it to be similar to what you did to yours. Best of luck to you and thank you for joining, im looking forward to learning from you.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Please tell me a little about the computer installation that you show in one of your pictures.
clarklc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
I like a person with a Positive attitude. As always, I am all eyes and ears to learn. GMTech, Thank You.
And, where do I see the video please??
My coach came with slide locks. I use them. But I see mentioned about NOT putting too much pressure on them. Thank you for that, makes sense to me. So, I learned something else today.
I want to THANK all who provide information here in this forum.
Hmmm, I thought it was in his sig but it isn't now. It was also in one of his first posts but I can't find it. I hope the naysayers didn't chase him off, I had much to learn.

I googled his username as he suggested in post #5 but got a 'blocked in my country' (USA)? gmtech16450yz (note the added H in tech)

CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
GMtech please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtec16450yz View Post
"I can tune your Ford V10 engine to run stronger, smoother, more dependable and get better gas mileage than any 5 Star tune."
I have a 2000 class a Fleetwood with ford e-450 chassis powered by the triton V-10 , has 38,000 miles and while towing a jeep liberty from Indiana to Arizona I averaged 6-7 MPG. Had slow down issues going up steep grades and would appreciate your input on how I can improve engine performance.

Not wanting to hi-jack this thread I would be happy to take your answer via private message.

Thank You.
Goodyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodyguy View Post
I have a 2000 class a Fleetwood with ford e-450 chassis powered by the triton V-10 , has 38,000 miles and while towing a jeep liberty from Indiana to Arizona I averaged 6-7 MPG. Had slow down issues going up steep grades and would appreciate your input on how I can improve engine performance.

Not wanting to hi-jack this thread I would be happy to take your answer via private message.

Thank You.
Oops make that a Class "C" not a class A. Thread would not let me edit previous post, must be a short time limit to edit?
Goodyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 PM   #64

Freightliner Owners Club
Totally agree.
Sweengolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #65

Quote:
Haha. It's normal. Any rack and pinion setup with a cheap little brushed motor to hold it all in place is gonna move. There's so much slop and endplay in the whole system that there's no way even a brand new assembly isn't going to move around. That's the whole deal with my trying to put pressure against the slide when it's all the way in. The only thing holding pressure against the outside wall is the track/pinion/motor assembly. So you basically have a few mm's of surface area on an aluminum track holding in hundreds of pounds of slide. It's amazing the cheap little pinions, track and motors even last at all with the way it's all designed. Oh yeah, they don't. lol.

Yay, my signature works! vvv
Don't let the naysayers deter you from posting your tips, tricks and hints as they may help others to think and resolve issues. A smart viewer of a forum is going to weigh all aspects of a post and make their decisions for themselves and some differing of opinions is going to happen. Besides that anyone that has an SS of the 14-17 era can't be all that bad. I have a '15.
RVSSNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:46 AM   #66

Came with slide poles

My motor home that has 2 slides (1 a full wall slide) came from the factory with expandable poles to put in the slides. I don't always use them and don't see any movement but I think it's not a bad idea. Thanks for the idea. I think your on to a very good idea.
Smittty54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:05 AM   #67

Quote:
Lol. You guys are funny!

Seriously though, I thought
it was funny only because I know my background, but I'm fairly new on here so it's totally understandable that the membership here doesn't.

The truth is that I know a tiny bit about this stuff. So no, there's nothing "wrong" or broken with my slide, and I don't know of anyone that is more capable of working on an RV than me. lol. In time hopefully my screen name will become a little more known. If you want to google search a little about me, my normal screen name is "gmtech16450yz". Weird thing is that when I signed up on this forum my usual screen name was 1 digit too long! So on here I'm gmtec16450yz but everywhere else I'm gmtech16450yz.

[Mod Edit]

Thanks!

I like this idea and if you had a problem retracting the slide, these clamps could provide assists in closing them. Nice idea.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Super Cool Way To Secure Slides!

You obviously have some tool skills, but your base premise is flawed.
It is not normal for slides to move about while driving. Not because they don’t move at all— they do vibrate and shake a bit if left on their own. But the simple fact is that just about every decent RV manufacturer includes some kind of slide lock in their manufacturing process. If a particular RV has no locks but needs them, you don’t have to think too hard to figure out why.
As to your fix, it’s direct, and simple. But let’s be clear: you had two parts that moved when you thought they shouldn’t. So you used a clamp. Your solution works, but really, there’s no call for a lot of hoorah! It’s not exactly cutting edge engineering. It’s a clamp.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
It is not normal for slides to move about while driving. Not because they don’t move at all— they do vibrate and shake a bit if left on their own. But the simple fact is that just about every decent RV manufacturer includes some kind of slide lock in their manufacturing process. If a particular RV has no locks but needs them, you don’t have to think too hard to figure out why.
As to your fix, it’s direct, and simple. But let’s be clear: you had two parts that moved when you thought they shouldn’t. So you used a clamp. Your solution works, but really, there’s no call for a lot of hoorah! It’s not exactly cutting edge engineering. It’s a clamp.
It is very normal for a slide to move about while driving. As a matter of fact it has to. As the chassis torques about with road undulations, there is movement between the slide and the chassis.

Locks are primarily for the slide not to move out while driving. Dependent on their design, some might not do as good a job of putting pressure on the slide to minimize noise.

The clamp was never intended for this purpose so it's a repurposing of a tool for a novel fix. Something 99% of users wouldn't have thought about - until they saw it in this forum thread. I have a zillion of those same clamps and didn't apply them to this as a solution. Decent idea and I am glad the OP shared it.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:24 AM   #70

I don't buy it. I have been rv'ing for too long.

I can buy that a slide moves a bit for flex but if you need this types a clamp then OP's rig has a problem. Period. This is not normal. He is fixing this problem with a home made solution or he could have the problem fixed by a dealer.

I say more power to him. But this is not a normal problem.

Tags
slide