RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #1

Super C's

It seems that the Super C's hold their value pretty good for an RV. Especially the Dynamax's. Anyone have insight into why? Or am I mistaken and just haven't done enough looking?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 05:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
It seems that the Super C's hold their value pretty good for an RV. Especially the Dynamax's. Anyone have insight into why? Or am I mistaken and just haven't done enough looking?
I have no idea but man I sure do love those rigs. Wish we could afford one.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #3

Just speculation here, but I'm wondering if the commercial chassis holds a little more value since it receives such light use as an RV compared to its intended use.

Also, when you get into the "Super C's" some of which are Class 8 truck conversions like Showhauler, Renegade, Hallmark, etc. Many of the older units are very well made and relatively simple. Because of this, a 7-10 year old unit may be in excellent condition, both in appearance and function.

When I was shopping for a truck conversion a few years ago, I was amazed by the number of 10 year old units (my price point) in such great condition. It was hard to choose!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #4

Unless something drastic changes with the chassis / driveline options, a Super C will probably be our next and last coach.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:14 PM   #5

I like the idea and look of the Super C's, but am having a hard time reconciling their price to a Class A Pusher - What makes them hold their value better (at least it seems)? Are the maintenance costs much different?
Old 12-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I like the idea and look of the Super C's, but am having a hard time reconciling their price to a Class A Pusher - What makes them hold their value better (at least it seems)? Are the maintenance costs much different?
I've never owned a Diesel Pusher, so I am not certain of the maintenance costs. However, I can tell you that I selected a super C over a pusher because of the apparent ease of access to the main engine.

Since most of my experience with large diesel engines was in equipment and yachts, I knew that having serviceable systems easily accessible makes me more apt to keep an eye on them, and avoids the need for service personnel to enter the living space, and possibly disassemble part of it, to gain access to parts of the engine in the event of catastrophic failure.

The truck chassis is designed to be easily and quickly serviced. I hope that translates into incrementally lower cost of maintenance and fewer hours on the invoice if/when major repairs are needed.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Are you saying they hold value better than a similarly equipped DP? Or just better than their gas counterparts.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #8

They seem to hold a larger percentage of value over the DP's, from what I can tell. But, I haven't done alot of looking, so it's a cursory observation.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
We recently downsized from a 40' Country Coach which we had for 17 yrs and loved. Now we have a 08 Dynaquest 34xl which we are getting to know. The quality between the CC and the DQ are equal, both fine coaches. However, the DQ is more maneuverable, easier to drive, easier to service, handles better, and my wife can drive it, when previously she would not touch the CC, scared her to death.
Lastly, the DQ is much safer in a accident, I always worried about a car hitting us head on, still worry but now not as much as there's a lot of steel and engine up front. See the attached photos for examples
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0347.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	184478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	184479  

Attached Images

Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #10

That's quite the visual there. Definitely something to think about.

My dad, an auto mechanic his whole life, swears that the DP's are easier to maintain - but I think in his mind, he's comparing a gas DP to a diesel DP, or a smaller chassis Class C.

After reading alot on this forum, it seems like maintenance of a DP is a little more difficult/expensive. And from what I can find, it's a higher shop rate.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They seem to hold a larger percentage of value over the DP's, from what I can tell. But, I haven't done alot of looking, so it's a cursory observation.
Equally cursory, but I just looked up a few in the NADA RV Guide and don't see much, if any, difference. I only compared a 2008 Jayco Seneca to two similar size/equipped Winnie Journeys so no more valid than your observation.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #12

Love our Dynamax. They get tons of looks.
Sometimes I think I'm driving a Tonka toy!!!

Dave Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #13

That is a nice looking rig!

TCs are fun! The wife and I are always trying to find fair ways to share the driving, neither of us wanting to deprive the other of some fun at the tiller.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Dave, yours is a twin to our 34xl. Same color scheme. Now that you mention it, it is just like driving a Tonka toy, much more fun than our old pusher.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote